Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
AudiDude wrote: Two storms within a week was harsh? Are you forgetting the weather in the beginning of January had the grass growing? I got to use my snowthrower once and the other time, I didn't even shovel.
It did arrive, but arrive late and had record late staying power, so that is why you started the year off with the grass still alive. Snowcover and depth is at historical high to the north because of how strong winter gripped us once it did arrive.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
zijin_cheng wrote: I would love a cold summer in TO when I get back. It snowed yesterday in Thunder Bay.
Snow got close to Toronto yesteday too. I saw it on the radar just off to the NW like mount forest or orangeville. It dropped below 4 degrees at that time in Toronto while precipitation came.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4120 posts
923 upvotes
Sask.
Ah, it would be nice to have a cooler summer! Last year it was much hotter for much longer than usual for us here on the prairies!

Mind you, we still have TONS of snow - as of the 23rd of April, it makes six months of continual snow on the ground here. Gah!
Just want to see the snow gone, and some double digit temps - maybe tomorrow says the forecast!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
natalka wrote: Ah, it would be nice to have a cooler summer! Last year it was much hotter for much longer than usual for us here on the prairies!

Mind you, we still have TONS of snow - as of the 23rd of April, it makes six months of continual snow on the ground here. Gah!
Just want to see the snow gone, and some double digit temps - maybe tomorrow says the forecast!
Well they did say the focus of the cold was to be on the great lakes. But with that, if that particular scenario plays out, I don't imagine excessive heat east of BC and neighboring alberta. Since we are in a cool, pattern, for you interst, hopefully the praries does not also stay colder than normal. a couple weeks ago winnipeg was said to have waited longest to first reach a 5 degree temperature since 1850's or something, but ALSO, a full 2 weeks have past since then and only now winiipeg gets to 5 degrees so that figure from 150 years ago was smothered by yet even longer wait. this year is definatly a cold on and historical at that.

I think it is safe to say that this is the first time it was this cold in parts of Canada in the spring since before human caused global warming really started.
Banned
Jul 26, 2009
4315 posts
663 upvotes
Toronto
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Well they did say the focus of the cold was to be on the great lakes. But with that, if that particular scenario plays out, I don't imagine excessive heat east of BC and neighboring alberta. Since we are in a cool, pattern, for you interst, hopefully the praries does not also stay colder than normal. a couple weeks ago winnipeg was said to have waited longest to first reach a 5 degree temperature since 1850's or something, but ALSO, a full 2 weeks have past since then and only now winiipeg gets to 5 degrees so that figure from 150 years ago was smothered by yet even longer wait. this year is definatly a cold on and historical at that.

I think it is safe to say that this is the first time it was this cold in parts of Canada in the spring since before human caused global warming really started.
Ya, we still have 3' high snow drifts in some places.

Lol I love your name... Ilovejaneandfinch, then location "Barrie".
i5-3570K 3.4GHz | ASUS DCII 7850 2Gb
8Gb DDR3 1333MHz | 128GB HyperX SSD + 1Tb HDD
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | Ultra 650W PSU | Dell 22" 1920x1080 LED
The proud owner of a brand new ASUS T100!!!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
zijin_cheng wrote: Ya, we still have 3' high snow drifts in some places.

Lol I love your name... Ilovejaneandfinch, then location "Barrie".
Thanks lol. My location is Barrie Ontarion on here, although I live near Jane and Finch in Toronto. I can't seem to be able to change my city on here.

It must be awefull having so much snow left that you can built a city with it! it does look though like the snow is now going to start to melt extremely fast in thunder bay so that deepness will quickly be eliminated thanks to extensive double digit temperatures on the way.
Jan 17, 2006
594 posts
15 upvotes
The more I think about it..the more I hate living on the East Coast. Only 2-3 months of good weather, and the rest is dreary weary...

I'm seriously in the process of moving to LA.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
rocheapplied wrote: The more I think about it..the more I hate living on the East Coast. Only 2-3 months of good weather, and the rest is dreary weary...

I'm seriously in the process of moving to LA.
Nice plan do it! I am in the process of doing the same thing. Movin to the pacific coast in Mexico. No more crap!
Banned
Jul 26, 2009
4315 posts
663 upvotes
Toronto
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Thanks lol. My location is Barrie Ontarion on here, although I live near Jane and Finch in Toronto. I can't seem to be able to change my city on here.

It must be awefull having so much snow left that you can built a city with it! it does look though like the snow is now going to start to melt extremely fast in thunder bay so that deepness will quickly be eliminated thanks to extensive double digit temperatures on the way.
Ya the snow is going fast. Just this morning it was -6, and the snow drifts are much smaller.
Lol you get used to it. After living here for a year, I thought snow in April is normal!
i5-3570K 3.4GHz | ASUS DCII 7850 2Gb
8Gb DDR3 1333MHz | 128GB HyperX SSD + 1Tb HDD
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | Ultra 650W PSU | Dell 22" 1920x1080 LED
The proud owner of a brand new ASUS T100!!!
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
18583 posts
3251 upvotes
Toronto
zijin_cheng wrote: Ya the snow is going fast. Just this morning it was -6, and the snow drifts are much smaller.
Lol you get used to it. After living here for a year, I thought snow in April is normal!
Nope. It goes April showers -> May flowers. It's supposed to be warm.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
zijin_cheng wrote: Ya the snow is going fast. Just this morning it was -6, and the snow drifts are much smaller.
I also checked the ECMWF model output and it shows below normal temperatures widspread even in the praries and northern Ontario so I think your snow may take even longer to go away because of this cold.

[IMG]http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/p ... apr23c.png[/IMG]

It really looks like your snow is staying because there is even the threat of more snowfall around and north of Lake Superior starting Wednesday and lasting into the next week so it will be cold and starting next week, your snow may start to increase again before it decreases. Good luck with the igloos! lol

Fel1znatal
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
973 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Hmmm... Niagara forcast for next week all upper 60's and low 70's. :)
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
CSK'sMom wrote: Hmmm... Niagara forcast for next week all upper 60's and low 70's. :)
Ok so I guess the growing season is well undway. Meanwhile, Toronto not far away still has a crappy forecast. I wonder what happened to our 20's forecasted.