Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
AzN_RiverdaleCI wrote: Will it melt most of the ice as well? I noticed a lot of ice is still on the roads and sidewalks. A lot of people still walk the streets because sidewalk no bueno.
Lol yes. Everywhere I go, sidewalk no bueno :razz: Snow makes it even worse as I cursed the low pressure system on my way to Dondlands station because of the snow!

The warmth and rian should get rid of at least half of this, though I am guessing that on hard surfaces like sidewalks and roads, it will all be gone after tomorrows warmth and rain. Most of what is left still looks to get finished off for the most part by other warm spells coming this month.

EURO model shows plenty more warmth on the way and no big snowstorms to offset all the melting that will be going on. Though I will keep my eye out for any extra snowfalls.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Ok this is super erie here in the reference library. Every time I start reading about birds in a book here, a bird lands right next to me in the library the instant I read the word "bird"! I had to mention that because that is just plain weird!

When in the library and reading books about things that are supposed to be out in nature, it is totally freaky when multiple times, the very second you see it in the book, it appears right next to you! This is a library for goodness sake!

And besides, it is not cold out anymore so they can stop being here as temporary cold climate refugees because now these birds have become permanent!
blahhh
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
2299 posts
794 upvotes
Are you still going to give us forecasts when you leave? You will be banned if you dont.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Zephyr22b wrote: Are you still going to give us forecasts when you leave? You will be banned if you dont.
Lol of course I will. That is the wonder of internet. I will update here all the time no matter where on the planet I am, just like as if I never moved places. There is internet in the Cuzco library as well as constant connection of internet where I will be living. I will be living in Peru only during the warm half of the year, so mid spring through mid fall when weather watching is not as busy and only gets busy for smaller periods.

I will be back in the T-dot during the part of the year that requires more weather monitoring, which is late fall, all of winter winter and part of spring.

If I fail to keep up with weather updates then I can be banned lol :razz:
blahhh
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2012
2873 posts
739 upvotes
Toronto
Good afternoon everyone!
Nice day outside today!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
therollin wrote: Good afternoon everyone!
Nice day outside today!
Good afternoon!
Looks like it will be nice like this for awhile. According to the GFS, long range looks perfecto! with temps mostly just above and below freezing and no big storms so far appear. What a change!
blahhh
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8305 posts
1872 upvotes
Ontario
Reminder to anyone in residential areas. If you know where the catch basins are, try to break up a path to it.
All that melting water needs to go somewhere.
I know there may be as much as 5 feet in your path, but put a little back into it!
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2010
2107 posts
388 upvotes
LOL.... what is with the obsession of some people bragging about brands?
it would have been enough to ask if a parka was required... but no, we have to say the brand, the reference, and the picture, so everybody can see you are better than us for having it... hahahahahahahaha :D

so sad

and on top of that, the question, is out of question (if i can be redundant).... IMO i would not wear a parka, but in the end, it all depends on how a person tolerates cold, for some people this weather is still too low, and they would wear one, for others, it's light jacket time... so you are the only one who know if you should use it or not
djemzine wrote: So is my The North Face McMurdo parka required in the morning and evening?
:) Love is too beautiful to be hidden in the closet ;)
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Esteban Pirazo wrote: LOL.... what is with the obsession of some people bragging about brands?
it would have been enough to ask if a parka was required... but no, we have to say the brand, the reference, and the picture, so everybody can see you are better than us for having it... hahahahahahahaha :D

so sad

and on top of that, the question, is out of question (if i can be redundant).... IMO i would not wear a parka, but in the end, it all depends on how a person tolerates cold, for some people this weather is still too low, and they would wear one, for others, it's light jacket time... so you are the only one who know if you should use it or not
For me, this weather is for light jackets and no sweaters! I acclimatize to the cold super fast. Today was balmy for sure. Tomorrow will be so warm for me, I will need to bust out the sandals! lol
blahhh
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
2769 posts
493 upvotes
Toronto
What website do people find most accurate for their weather predictions? accuweather, theweathernetwork, weather.yahoo.com, weather.ca.msn.com or weather.gc.ca
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
pipolchap wrote: What website do people find most accurate for their weather predictions? accuweather, theweathernetwork, weather.yahoo.com, weather.ca.msn.com or weather.gc.ca
I find Accuweather to be best, followed by weather.gc.ca. The others are not even worth checking. And if you have the guts to use real forecast models, the most accurate possible way is to use the actual forecast models: the EURO, GEM, GFS, and NAM in order from most to least accurate. That keeps you hours, sometime a whole day ahead of public forecasts. Others that frequent the weather thread have already started using those, but if you just wish to use public forecasts, then use the 2 I suggested above.
blahhh
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
41970 posts
6614 upvotes
No freezing drizzle this afternoon as forecasted in the morning lol?
Proud to be an Indian.
Aug 27, 2012
5674 posts
899 upvotes
Toronto
enjoy walking in the snow while it lasts! :lol:
Oct 25, 2013
59 posts
4 upvotes
Oshawa - The Shawa
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Lol of course I will. That is the wonder of internet. I will update here all the time no matter where on the planet I am, just like as if I never moved places. There is internet in the Cuzco library as well as constant connection of internet where I will be living. I will be living in Peru only during the warm half of the year, so mid spring through mid fall when weather watching is not as busy and only gets busy for smaller periods.

I will be back in the T-dot during the part of the year that requires more weather monitoring, which is late fall, all of winter winter and part of spring.

If I fail to keep up with weather updates then I can be banned lol :razz:
Are you not going against the nature's rule of going to warmer places in winter and enjoying the summer in Canada. You are like "I will go bang opposite the migratory birds flying" !!!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
dealsbond wrote: Are you not going against the nature's rule of going to warmer places in winter and enjoying the summer in Canada. You are like "I will go bang opposite the migratory birds flying" !!!
Lol yes! I am all about seeking active weather! in the summer, it happens for like a couple days and then it's gone for at least a month. So I will be back in time for winter ;)
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
djemzine wrote: No freezing drizzle this afternoon as forecasted in the morning lol?
I forecasted a bit of light snow. Should have only listened to me :)
I did not expect freezing rain.
DON'T LISTEN TO ThE WeAtHeR NeTwOrk!!!!!! they are always wrong!!!! lol
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
test9251 wrote: is there chance of hail in toronto?
That is a summer feature only. Ice pellets are like what that last storm gave us and are the closest to hail in winter, but are always small. I have almost never gotten to see real hail.

Hail:
[IMG]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-_H6q4E_E3Ko/U ... -RF-CD.JPG[/IMG]

Ice pellets:
[IMG]http://whyfiles.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... _sleet.jpg[/IMG]
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
If climate change projections are right, winter in Toronto will later become like early spring at worst.
Climate change will be great for Toronto, says insincere troll
Canada’s National Post is an admittedly right-wing newspaper. Proudly right-wing. Cringe-inducingly right-wing.

And so, a special comment the paper ran this morning, titled, “Warmer temperatures would be a benefit, not a problem, for Toronto.” The essay — which the title does an admirable job of summarizing — was written by Lawrence Solomon, who also wrote a book on climate change denial that’s actually called The Deniers. And with that, let’s begin.
In coming decades, climate change will warm Toronto by 5.7 degrees in winter and 3.8 degrees in summer, the city’s parks and environment committee learned in a consultants’ report tabled Tuesday. The consultants, pointing to potentially dire results, indicate that the city may need to spend billions in upgrades. In truth, rising temperatures would be a boon to the city and its taxpayers.

The study predicts triple the number of above-30C days from about 22 on average annually to 66. It forecasts five times as many heat waves in the average summer and it warns that the days when the humidex hits 40C or higher will increase from nine a year to 39 on average. …

“Imagine a summer where for two months the temperature does not go down below 30C. If that were to happen tomorrow there would probably be a significant number of deaths. Our electricity infrastructure would fail. We would have massive blackouts and, who knows what else would happen to the other urban infrastructure? I’m not sure that the city and this administration is taking any of this stuff seriously,” said Franz Hartmann of the Toronto Environmental Alliance.

That may be true, Franz, but: fewer potholes! (Except the ones in which the asphalt buckles due to heat outside the parameters for which the road was built.)

The likely changes the city will see by 2050, as summarized by The Star:

A 4.4C average annual rise in temperature, including a 5.7C increase in winter and 3.8C in summer.
The city will see six times as many days when the temperature remains above 24C for 24 hours.
Slightly more precipitation but with less snow and more rain in the winter. The research forecasts 26 fewer snow days per year.
Fewer but more extreme rainstorms. The number of winter storms is expected to drop and the number of summer storms remain the same. The amount of rainfall expected in any single day or hour, however, will more than double.
Heat waves — three or more consecutive days of temperatures above 32C — will increase from 0.57 on average to five a year.
You know what tourists don’t like? Getting deluged with rain and then sweltering through record heat. That is not a fun tourist activity.

Happily, the city has had an action plan in place since 2008 which suggests ways of lessening and avoiding the worst effects of climate change. The question the Star sought to ask wasn’t what was being done, but if what is being done is enough. This is the role responsible media outlets play.

Solomon’s essay is, at its heart, a troll, an attempt to frustrate his opponents and incite anger. Fine. In that respect and that respect only it is a complete success. But one would think he’d be embarrassed by the factual errors (ones so easily debunked) — and even more so by his core argument. “I can’t wait for global warming because winter sucks,” is the first line of attack from a sixth grader who has just discovered the concept and wants to be a contrarian. That’s Solomon’s most fitting audience: immature children who are more interested in showing their uniqueness than giving any thought to how the world is changing around them.

http://grist.org/news/climate-change-wi ... ere-troll/
blahhh