Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2020 4:00 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Damn!! I missed the bus! O well. guess I'm gonna have to walk in the extreme cold and don't know if I will make it to Donlands station. If you guys never hear from me again, you know why lol
If I'm claimed by the cold weather, then therollin and djemzine can co-OP the weather thread :lol:
Wish me luck!
blahhh
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2012
2769 posts
639 upvotes
Toronto
lol gl
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Damn!! I missed the bus! O well. guess I'm gonna have to walk in the extreme cold and don't know if I will make it to Donlands station. If you guys never hear from me again, you know why lol
If I'm claimed by the cold weather, then therollin and djemzine can co-OP the weather thread :lol:
Wish me luck!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5610 posts
856 upvotes
Toronto
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Damn!! I missed the bus! O well. guess I'm gonna have to walk in the extreme cold and don't know if I will make it to Donlands station. If you guys never hear from me again, you know why lol
Wish me luck!
so how's the weather? i will be leaving my place in 30 mins. :cheesygri
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
40650 posts
6217 upvotes
Hmm TWN says 10 to 15 cm of snow on Sunday. Eff. I better get better so I can use the blower and clear it.
Proud to be an Indian.
Oct 9, 2012
2769 posts
639 upvotes
Toronto
Warnings

City of Toronto
10:36 AM EST Thursday 02 January 2014
Wind chill warning for
City of Toronto issued

Severe wind chill expected today tonight into Friday morning.

Bitterly cold Arctic air has established itself across Southern and Eastern Ontario. In addition a low pressure system near the Lower Great Lakes continues to generate moderate northeasterly winds. The combination of winds and Arctic air produced severe wind chill values in many localities this morning ranging from minus 30 to minus 40. Temperatures are not expected to rebound too much today before lowering tonight. As a result severe wind chills are expected once again tonight and may even persist for some regions during the day. The wind chill warning has been expanded further south for regions across Southern Ontario for tonight and Friday morning.

It is advised to dress warmly and cover any exposed skin as much as possible when heading outdoors.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
test9251 wrote: so how's the weather? i will be leaving my place in 30 mins. :cheesygri
Freakin cold!! but I am alive and at Bloor yonge station so I made it! And the music is too loud.

Can you guys with the electric guitars please turn the bass down!!! I'm trying to enjoy the Bloor TTC wifi lol

Also, there seem to be some flurries, but not much of that today. Heavy snowfall warning was issued for Niagara region.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
therollin wrote: Warnings

City of Toronto
10:36 AM EST Thursday 02 January 2014
Wind chill warning for
City of Toronto issued

Severe wind chill expected today tonight into Friday morning.

Bitterly cold Arctic air has established itself across Southern and Eastern Ontario. In addition a low pressure system near the Lower Great Lakes continues to generate moderate northeasterly winds. The combination of winds and Arctic air produced severe wind chill values in many localities this morning ranging from minus 30 to minus 40. Temperatures are not expected to rebound too much today before lowering tonight. As a result severe wind chills are expected once again tonight and may even persist for some regions during the day. The wind chill warning has been expanded further south for regions across Southern Ontario for tonight and Friday morning.

It is advised to dress warmly and cover any exposed skin as much as possible when heading outdoors.
Finally! boy were they ever slow though! they wait too long to issue stuff.
didn't this happen the last time? I said "why is there no warning yet" during that snowstorm we had. I put the thread in alert mode before they finally issued a warning. they need to pick up the slack because I am always on top of things here in the weather thread, but not everyone in toronto sees RFD's weather thread so EC has a lot of work to do and must do it in a timely manner for those that rely on it.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2004
2772 posts
54 upvotes
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Finally! boy were they ever slow though! they wait too long to issue stuff.
didn't this happen the last time? I said "why is there no warning yet" during that snowstorm we had. I put the thread in alert mode before they finally issued a warning. they need to pick up the slack because I am always on top of things here in the weather thread, but not everyone in toronto sees RFD's weather thread so EC has a lot of work to do and must do it in a timely manner for those that rely on it.
I thought I saw the windchill warning early Wednesday. It was on weather.gc.ca and my accuweather app. Maybe it was for Richmond Hill area not Toronto.
:arrowl: Thank me if you find my post helpful :)
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
chickenbones wrote: I thought I saw the windchill warning early Wednesday. It was on weather.gc.ca and my accuweather app. Maybe it was for Richmond Hill area not Toronto.
Yes it was for up there. They issued it for that area, but it came late for us in Toronto.

Too late it came for the city of Toronto because they should issue them BEFORE the bad windchills arrive so they are kinda worthless lol
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
I guess it is just too cold outside for the birds and now they have gone to new extremes to find food without freezing their tails off! I guess they heard the warning from the weather thread and decided to head indoors like we all did :razz:
[IMG]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-hwTxw4rRyMA/U ... y+bird.jpg[/IMG]

This was second floor Toronto reference library.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
2232 posts
709 upvotes
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: I guess it is just too cold outside for the birds and now they have gone to new extremes to find food without freezing their tails off! I guess they heard the warning from the weather thread and decided to head indoors like we all did :razz:
[IMG]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-hwTxw4rRyMA/U ... y+bird.jpg[/IMG]

This was second floor Toronto reference library.
I always feel bad for those little sparrows that find their way into buildings because they probably never find a way to get back out lol
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Zephyr22b wrote: I always feel bad for those little sparrows that find their way into buildings because they probably never find a way to get back out lol
Lol. That is what I am always thinking too. These poor little birds are left with 2 options, freeze to death due to the weather outside of the library, or starve to death due to starvation in the library because bookworms don't exist :razz: If there were bookworms, the library would be wall to wall birds taking refuge successfully during this weather lol!

Also, Accuweather has issued an entry on the upcoming storm (not this one we are in now lol, but another one!) on Sunday/Monday. This could be one of our worst yet. They are actually talking about blizzard conditions and "blinding snow" for our region. More to come when I update here with that post. Looks like this could be a BIG ONE!
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Accuweather: Sunday Snowstorm Looms for Midwest; Possible Blizzard for Appalachians

Although there is still some discrepancy as to where exactly the low will track once it develops, the heaviest corridor of snow looks to extend from western Tennessee, northeastward through the Ohio Valley, into the eastern Great Lakes and to southern Ontario for the start of the week.
Cities that could be hit by a sudden blinding snow, plunging temperatures and a quick freeze include Nashville, Tenn.; Lexington, Ky.; Cincinnati; Morgantown, W.Va.; Pittsburgh; Buffalo, N.Y.; and Toronto, Ontario. Travel along I-40, I-64 and I-65 could be difficult Sunday night.
As lake-effect blends in with the general storm, some bands of intense snowfall are likely.
According to Senior Meteorologist Dale Mohler, "Blizzard conditions may develop from eastern Ohio to West Virginia, western Maryland, western Pennsylvania Sunday night and Monday, and in western New York Monday into Tuesday."

[IMG]http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/p ... 0_hd14.jpg[/IMG]
Whiteout conditions are possible in these areas with strong winds, plunging temperatures and heavy snowfall rates.
"Major interstate highways including I-79, I-80, I-81, I-90 and Route 219 could close down for a time due to the intense conditions Monday into Tuesday," Mohler added.
Some people could be caught off guard and stranded by the storm.
A dangerous cold wave will blast in its wake.

Temperatures in Chicago are not expected to exceed zero degrees on Monday with Detroit experiencing afternoon highs in the single digits Monday and Tuesday.
According to Senior Meteorologist Alex Sosnowski, "The last time Chicago was this cold was during early February of 1996, where temperatures remained below zero around the clock for a couple of days."

The areas they highlighted for possible blizzard conditions are adjacent to us, but they don't always mention Canadian cities as this is an American posting, but this sounds an alarm to the potential of some very sever winter conditions developing for the first day back to work.
blahhh
Oct 16, 2008
917 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Lol. That is what I am always thinking too. These poor little birds are left with 2 options, freeze to death due to the weather outside of the library, or starve to death due to starvation in the library because bookworms don't exist :razz: If there were bookworms, the library would be wall to wall birds taking refuge successfully during this weather lol!

Also, Accuweather has issued an entry on the upcoming storm (not this one we are in now lol, but another one!) on Sunday/Monday. This could be one of our worst yet. They are actually talking about blizzard conditions and "blinding snow" for our region. More to come when I update here with that post. Looks like this could be a BIG ONE!
Well, the weather network says 20cm of snow!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)