Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

Sep 24, 2012
65 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
cardle wrote: I am not shovelling. The temp and sun will get rid of it today.
Seconded! The driveway is almost clean :)
Sep 2, 2005
725 posts
326 upvotes
Toronto
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: I was expecting the snow to come of course as I said a quick burst of heavy snow while everyone is sleeping, but not enough for a snowfall warning. I said that instead of getting the freezing rain they called for, we would instead get "snow, changing to rain in southern sections" with a very insignificant zone of freezing rain that would have no impact, I turned out to be the only one that was completely correct if you look back to what I said. that is exactly what happened. We got snow, but not a deep snowstorm amount and the rain was along the shore of the lake as I had expected. And at the same time, freezing rain was limited. I was sure about all of this the whole time and turned out to be the only one right so my track record is getting really good again :) this is the second time i just a couple days that they said a substantial freezing rain period, I rejected it and ended up right! So next time they predict an icing event and I say no, then you will find the RFD weather expert beating the mainstream ones again!
not to put down your amazing ability OP, but do you think sometimes the weather network/centres play up a worst case scenario so everyone is prepared for the possible worst outcome?

i sometimes feel they do embellish the weather. like if there's a 10% chance of freezing rain, they'd say we should be prepared regardless and not dismiss it.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
zaius wrote: not to put down your amazing ability OP, but do you think sometimes the weather network/centres play up a worst case scenario so everyone is prepared for the possible worst outcome?

i sometimes feel they do embellish the weather. like if there's a 10% chance of freezing rain, they'd say we should be prepared regardless and not dismiss it.
I look closely at the amounts and chances they say and just say that sometime they underestimate and sometimes overestimate certain things, so it is not always overplayed. The ice storm I played it up when they didn't and of course it ended up being that big event. In the case of these last couple of storms, they expected more precip to fall and for it to fall as liquid rain that freezes on contact, like a smaller version of the ice storm. When I looked at models, I estimated with that data that they just got the precipitation type mistaken. I still don't get why they keep missing things like this that I catch from well before the storm gets going. So I often correct these before the storm comes.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3767 posts
1444 upvotes
They have to overestimate so people are prepared just in case
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
EURO model starting next week has MOAR WARM WEATHER WOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!! BRING ON MOAR SPRING! ;)

EDIT: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOAA is beginning to expand the cold portion again :cry:

this is what started to happen every other time before a polar vortex emerged :cry:

[IMG]http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/p ... mp.new.gif[/IMG]

:cry:
blahhh
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5674 posts
898 upvotes
Toronto
this recent snowfall was the last one right? no more snow for winter now?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
test9251 wrote: this recent snowfall was the last one right? no more snow for winter now?
There is still the chance for flurries on Tuesday, but there won't be any observable accumulation. After that it is just cycles of rain and cold dry air, but no snowfall accumulations. This means no moar need for winter tires, shovels and plows. They can be put away ;)
blahhh
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5674 posts
898 upvotes
Toronto
^
oh nice. time to put away my winter shoes.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
test9251 wrote: ^
oh nice. time to put away my winter shoes.
Keep those handy for the chilly dry weather though. We have a few days of chilly dry weather coming up now through Tuesday so keep those handy so you are not cold. There won't be snow to walk through anywhere anymore, but this remaining days of chill won't be the nicest.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2814 posts
577 upvotes
Kagaaruk, NU
will april be rainy or sunny??///////
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5674 posts
898 upvotes
Toronto
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Keep those handy for the chilly dry weather though. We have a few days of chilly dry weather coming up now through Tuesday so keep those handy so you are not cold. There won't be snow to walk through anywhere anymore, but this remaining days of chill won't be the nicest.
damn!!!!!! ok then, i don't want my feet to freeze.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
dc200 wrote: will april be rainy or sunny??///////
April is known as the rainiest month of the year. So you will certainly see rain often. With the turbulent winter we had, I would expect a large amount of rain to come next month.
blahhh
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20681 posts
4819 upvotes
Poormond Hill
I hate rain! You can't walk when it's raining unless you carry an umbrella or wants to take a shower. With snow, you just brush it off.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.