Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

Banned
Feb 22, 2014
294 posts
9 upvotes
CALGARY
Warm and sunny again in Calgary today. 22 Celsius. Apparently we'll have a real mild (and dry) winter.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
test9251 wrote: Now this is my kind of weather. Oh yea!!!

@addicted, add me in, gonna treat the OP a case of beer. beer belly anyone? :D

Also, It would be awesome to witness only 3 months of actual winter. Please make it happen.
lol
it is easy to get as little as under a month of winter if all days of now snow on the ground are counted. BEcase this winter could be quite brown.
AhJaysus wrote: Warm and sunny again in Calgary today. 22 Celsius. Apparently we'll have a real mild (and dry) winter.
But you are the one with the REAL "bring on the MOAR summer" cuz you have temps in the 20s. I will have to adjust the status if temps dont climb here soon because it looks more seasonal as opposed to the well above normal as depicted by the CFS model. While the west basks in summer-like warmth.

Long range looks much warmer in the CFS so we will have to see if this really does come. I know it will be warmer than usual overall but it remains to be seen if it is as warm as the CFS depicts in Nov:
[IMG]http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/p ... NAsfcT.gif[/IMG]
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
I am surpsied how many times something weather related makes the top news story in the last few months. Really says something about how climate change is making weather more and more unusual.

http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/hurrica ... -recorded/
Hurricane Patricia, which is now rated Category 5 and the strongest hurricane ever recorded in the Western Hemisphere, continues tracking towards the coast of Mexico with landfall forecast on the central coast of Jalisco between 4:00 and 6:00pm.

“A Category 5 hurricane can lift vehicles, houses that are not built with concrete and rebar and sweep people off their feet,” he said in a message broadcast on YouTube.

The hurricane warning area extends from Punta San Telmo in Michoacán to San Blas, Nayarit

ts position was 200 kilometers southwest of Manzanillo and maximum sustained winds were 325 km/h.
hmmm I used to stay in Manzanillo for a month.
blahhh
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30809 posts
1680 upvotes
Fernando Poo
I've been around for 58 years, there's nothing unusual going on here accept all the propaganda to scare the stupid slaves (aka "the public").
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
here as in Tdot? nope nothing unusual going on here, just the usual cloud of smoke from the pot smokers and the fresh autumn breeze coming in my window in the morning.

... carrying the sweet aroma of marriage-you-wanna with it :|
I can do with some hurricane rain to wash the excess emissions from here and keep the drug users from doing their deeds outside.
have I complained enough about this student infested part of toronto yet?
lol
blahhh
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1721 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: EDIT: holy crap! just look at this map! not a speck of US territory lies outside the warmer than normal temps. This includes much of Canada I am certain:
[IMG]http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/p ... mp.new.gif[/IMG]
Strange how even temperatures follow the US borders... :lol:

Cheapskates at NOAA won't extend their data into neighbouring countries, even when they've already collected and projected it.

So... Will girls be down at the beach in bikinis this week? ;)
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20710 posts
4842 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: I am surpsied how many times something weather related makes the top news story in the last few months. Really says something about how climate change is making weather more and more unusual.

http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/hurrica ... -recorded/
Hurricane Patricia, which is now rated Category 5 and the strongest hurricane ever recorded in the Western Hemisphere, continues tracking towards the coast of Mexico with landfall forecast on the central coast of Jalisco between 4:00 and 6:00pm.

“A Category 5 hurricane can lift vehicles, houses that are not built with concrete and rebar and sweep people off their feet,” he said in a message broadcast on YouTube.

The hurricane warning area extends from Punta San Telmo in Michoacán to San Blas, Nayarit

ts position was 200 kilometers southwest of Manzanillo and maximum sustained winds were 325 km/h.
hmmm I used to stay in Manzanillo for a month.
Can you imagine if we had this type of weather during winter? The whole city would come to a standstill! Snow would be covering our houses! That would be freaking awesome!
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Tornado F2 wrote: Strange how even temperatures follow the US borders... :lol:

Cheapskates at NOAA won't extend their data into neighbouring countries, even when they've already collected and projected it.

So... Will girls be down at the beach in bikinis this week? ;)
Almost every single major city in Canada happens to fall into the colored zones or pretty darn close anyways so we are lucky ou cities are so close to the US border. These US maps always serves as an official source of info for me. The only major city here that lands outside of the colored area is Edmonton.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
2306 posts
508 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Still freezing cold here and the strongest ever hurricane turned out to be a flop. Meteorology should be relegated to the tier of astrology.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
sandikosh wrote: Can you imagine if we had this type of weather during winter? The whole city would come to a standstill! Snow would be covering our houses! That would be freaking awesome!
The closest comparison is a noreaster which happens in the northeast US at and near the coast. If you want a snowicane, you need to move there, it aint comin here. The mountains to the south of us and the lack of ocean here make it impossible to see as heavy of a snowstorm. the main reason why Toronto lacks heavy snowstorms is that they get cut off from their energy by those mountains. While the midwest US and even southern US get plenty of 'weather fuel' for 2 foot snowstorms, they usually get split apart by the time they get here. Really sucks, but that is how it works. If the Appalachian mountains didn't exist, the scope of snowstorms would be terrific.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
nabiul wrote: Still freezing cold here and the strongest ever hurricane turned out to be a flop. Meteorology should be relegated to the tier of astrology.
was strongest on record, but was a flop because it weakened before it even made landfall.
blahhh
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1721 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: was strongest on record, but was a flop because it weakened before it even made landfall.
Did it really weaken drastically before even reaching land? Why? The ocean there was unusually warm, so that's not a factor. So what was?
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1721 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Almost every single major city in Canada happens to fall into the colored zones or pretty darn close anyways so we are lucky ou cities are so close to the US border. These US maps always serves as an official source of info for me. The only major city here that lands outside of the colored area is Edmonton.
No love for the Maritimes? Or Saskatoon? Or even Calgary? ;)
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Tornado F2 wrote: No love for the Maritimes? Or Saskatoon? Or even Calgary? ;)
lol
Calgary falls within that description or more or less near the border, close enough that the color shading gives a good idea of calgary's weather on those maps. And as for the east coast, when I say major cities in Canada almost all being near the US border, I generally refer to the cities around a million people and up in metro population. None in the east coast area have any population even reaching half a million so that's what my description was.

and yes I love the east coast lolzzz
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Tornado F2 wrote: Did it really weaken drastically before even reaching land? Why? The ocean there was unusually warm, so that's not a factor. So what was?
there are more factors at play than temperature. wind sheer and other things have an effect on these. Something managed to disrupt this storms power before it made landfall. I just dont know what factor did. but they are lucky because they escaped worse damage.

If you can present me an f2 tornado so I cna experience it for the first time in my life, I will award you the position as CEO of weather thread with one year of unlimited access to the GFS model. Now get on that ;)
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Just found a NOAA temperature map and it shows where in the country the warmth will extend to this winter:
basically everywhere in the country!

All models point to warmth that just won't let up into the very long range.
this is the kind of winter where December is essentially snow-less. and even January can be this way at least inside Toronto.
Where I feed the squirrels in High park will have limited snow because it is right by lake Ontario where it will not freeze so I can sit in comfort feeding these cute little things.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2007
2775 posts
199 upvotes
Toronto
correct me if i;m wrong, but does the color represent the temperatures?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
willyxjai wrote: correct me if i;m wrong, but does the color represent the temperatures?
It is color coded. It is clear which would be warm colors and which could be cold colors. All of the areas of concern to us are red. all colors on the map are only for the temperatures.
blahhh