Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2200 posts
446 upvotes
Ancaster, ON
OP I am hearing we are in for nasty weather on Wednesday heavy rains, warnings maybe and high wind. How accurate is that? Will at least morning rush hour be okay or am I facing horrible traffic all day because of the rain?
Oct 7, 2014
117 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
LoveRFD wrote: While checking out the rain on Wednesday, here's an article on TWN about an earthquake that has a 99.9% chance to hit Los Angeles area by April 2018!

NASA predicts 5.0-magnitude quake to hit major city by 2018
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/a ... 018/58955/
They could probably hasten the process by sending in a fracking crew from a neighbouring state. That will tip the prediction over into 100% ;) and dissipate much more
energy than their prediction. It has to happen sometime...
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
JACKIE26 wrote: OP I am hearing we are in for nasty weather on Wednesday heavy rains, warnings maybe and high wind. How accurate is that? Will at least morning rush hour be okay or am I facing horrible traffic all day because of the rain?
I can confirm now it will indeed be wet by what see on the GFS model. It will rain a lot and be windy. Nothing destructive. Just miserable weather to go out in.

And no point in starting a new thread for this, but because OP of weather thread is a squirrel, thought I would share this from facebook:
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
btw, what are the effects of a 5.0 earthquake on a big city if the story pertaining to the above posts comes to reality? anyone know how bad it will be?
blahhh
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2200 posts
446 upvotes
Ancaster, ON
OP relaxing on a park bench. Also, thanks for confirming that Wednesday is shaping up to be miserable driving, I will have to leave early and pack some extra patience.

[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
JACKIE26 wrote: OP relaxing on a park bench. Also, thanks for confirming that Wednesday is shaping up to be miserable driving, I will have to leave early and pack some extra patience.

That day I did not bring enough peanuts for myself and the other squirrels so I ate them in front of the other squirrels. They watched me as one by one their peanuts disappeared into my mouth.

Good luck driving. wont be a snowstorm so not that bad.
blahhh
Banned
Feb 22, 2014
294 posts
9 upvotes
CALGARY
All these earthquakes and volcanoes. I blame global warming. :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8305 posts
1872 upvotes
Ontario
Does anyone know at what time tonight the weather is going to get supposedly hairy?
Family member has a flight leaving Pearson later tonight, but all the websites associated with the airlines show no planned cancellations.

Will it start tonight, or early in the morning hours?
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
4082 posts
350 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
You better make sure the downsprouts are clear is going to be a nasty rainfall tonight.City of Toronto putting extra crews out to make sure the basins are clean and to pick up debris that would be blown around.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3412 posts
355 upvotes
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: btw, what are the effects of a 5.0 earthquake on a big city if the story pertaining to the above posts comes to reality? anyone know how bad it will be?
The thing is, it could be stronger than 5.0!
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3412 posts
355 upvotes
onlineharvest wrote: Does anyone know at what time tonight the weather is going to get supposedly hairy?
Family member has a flight leaving Pearson later tonight, but all the websites associated with the airlines show no planned cancellations.

Will it start tonight, or early in the morning hours?
Look at the radar forecast on TWN, the storm probably won't reach Pearson airport untill 2 or 3am.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8305 posts
1872 upvotes
Ontario
LoveRFD wrote: Look at the radar forecast on TWN, the storm probably won't reach Pearson airport untill 2 or 3am.
Thank you! That's comforting, no affect on their flight.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
According to the GFS, rain won't be anything unusal until after sunrise on Wednesday so no real "storm" till like 8 am. Then it really starts to get wet.
But the winds already pick up tomorrow morning early. So the winds together with the rain, both being very heavy will ruin the day. Thank god it is not halloween.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2011
3049 posts
631 upvotes
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: According to the GFS, rain won't be anything unusal until after sunrise on Wednesday so no real "storm" till like 8 am. Then it really starts to get wet.
But the winds already pick up tomorrow morning early. So the winds together with the rain, both being very heavy will ruin the day. Thank god it is not winter.
I corrected it for you. You're welcome.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
wal3145 wrote: I corrected it for you. You're welcome.
lol I mean halloween day. It is not October 31 ;) so no tricker treater
blahhh
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20713 posts
4846 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: According to the GFS, rain won't be anything unusal until after sunrise on Wednesday so no real "storm" till like 8 am. Then it really starts to get wet.
But the winds already pick up tomorrow morning early. So the winds together with the rain, both being very heavy will ruin the day. Thank god it is not halloween.
Damn! My wish almost came through. Freezing cold would have turn that rain into snow.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
I updated the weather thread because someone reminded me that it was actually the hurricane responsible for this big weather event lol Thanks for clarifying that it was the worlds biggest recorded hurricane responsible for this. That is an important detail.

EDIT: I mean remnants of it, it is NOT a hurricane anymore. There is just no space for it in the damn thread title :|

EDIT again: why is this forum dead? Has everyone been swept away by the hurricane already? Uh oh! OP of weather thread to the rescue!!!!! :( I am only a squirrel I can't do anything :( I better dispatch the weather thread rescue team to save everyone from total annihilation by the hurricane!!!
blahhh
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4121 posts
926 upvotes
Sask.
Good luck with the rain!

Here, it's been hovering around zero - a few below, a few above. Drizzling, a few flakes of white - should see more today, but it's not the staying kind.