Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

Nov 29, 2008
685 posts
71 upvotes
Markham
So barely below freezing mark is what you're saying?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
ottoyu34 wrote: So barely below freezing mark is what you're saying?
Yes. While overnight lows are typically below freezing it is daytime highs that will fail to get much if anything below zero. More like well above zero. And double digits cannot be ruled out.

On this map, it looks like as if the Arctic climate system is 'bleeding to death' Just look at the off-the-charts warmth going from across the Arctic, all the way down to where we are. It is off the charts warmth from here to pretty much the north pole. That means winter is taking a big hit.

The freezing line will be so far away, winter will be the last thing you expect to feel in December. The freezing line will be pushed all the way up to northern Ontario/Hudson bay/central Quebec:
this December is really going to be quite warm.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
george__ wrote: should I put winters on?
For that, my best advice based on my latest research is a big NO! Supercooled who insisted on it, I agreed and said go ahead and get it over and done with IF you refuse to go a single winter without them. But for those that are willing to take advantage of a much warmer than normal winter to skip the winters, this winter, I am telling you is the chance to do just that!

Heck, many people apparently don't even put on winters and make do without. Correct me if I am wrong, but many people have said they encountered many drivers in those snowstorms that drove with all seasons on. If there will be a year that people really do that, it is this year. I think the general idea is if you live in Tdot you wont generally deal with a winter wonderland. I am planning later on to make a poll asking "Did you or did you not put on your winters last winter?" If a substantial number say they didn't and lived to tell about it, this winter will be a walk, I mean DRIVE in the park!
blahhh
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
41914 posts
6606 upvotes
Next system to bring freezing rain, icy conditions as per TWN
Proud to be an Indian.
Jun 15, 2011
41914 posts
6606 upvotes
george__ wrote: The URI you submitted has disallowed characters.
Removed link. Here's what they say:
Monday, November 30, 2015, 7:54 AM - Parts of Ontario woke up to a coating of ice and snow flurries Monday, but no significant accumulations were reported.

"Much of the province will be able to enjoy a seasonal day Monday with a sun/cloud mix in most places," says Weather Network meteorologist Matt Grinter.

Another system approaching southwestern Ontario Tuesday morning however, is set to bring rain, breezy conditions and the risk for freeing rain to some areas.

Waking up to a coating of snow & ice on cars & grass in parts of the GTA (Milton & near west end of Lake Ontario) pic.twitter.com/Z1w6FJbqcv
— Doug Gillham (@gtaweather1) November 30, 2015

"There's a freezing rain risk in eastern and northeastern Ontario Tuesday morning with the risk of Ottawa valley to be socked into colder air longer," Grinter says.

"It is possible that any freezing rain that does occur could take several hours to change over to rain," adds Environment Canada in a special weather statement issued Monday morning. "The area most likely to see freezing rain appears to be the Ottawa River Valley from Hawkesbury to Ottawa to Pembroke."
Proud to be an Indian.
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
EC says nothing. GFS has nothing. dont worry. I still think no winter driving experience is in store. something may happen in cottage country, but not much to see in Tdot
blahhh
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8305 posts
1872 upvotes
Ontario
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: For that, my best advice based on my latest research is a big NO! Supercooled who insisted on it, I agreed and said go ahead and get it over and done with IF you refuse to go a single winter without them. But for those that are willing to take advantage of a much warmer than normal winter to skip the winters, this winter, I am telling you is the chance to do just that!

Heck, many people apparently don't even put on winters and make do without. Correct me if I am wrong, but many people have said they encountered many drivers in those snowstorms that drove with all seasons on. If there will be a year that people really do that, it is this year. I think the general idea is if you live in Tdot you wont generally deal with a winter wonderland. I am planning later on to make a poll asking "Did you or did you not put on your winters last winter?" If a substantial number say they didn't and lived to tell about it, this winter will be a walk, I mean DRIVE in the park!
FWIW, I used to drive all across Ontario for work (up to the Manitoba border, to the Quebec border, etc), and many people in the worst areas, snow belts, etc just didn't use winters. You just drive a bit slower, and a bit more cautious, and give yourself a bit more room. No doubt if you follow those guidelines WITH dedicated winters, even better. But I've met plenty of people in far worse winter conditions who've gone their whole lives without.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3835 upvotes
There's a reason why they are called all season.

Also, carry around with you a shovel in case you do get stuck. Shovel the snow out and you are golden. (if/when it snows if/when hard)
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
onlineharvest wrote: FWIW, I used to drive all across Ontario for work (up to the Manitoba border, to the Quebec border, etc), and many people in the worst areas, snow belts, etc just didn't use winters. You just drive a bit slower, and a bit more cautious, and give yourself a bit more room. No doubt if you follow those guidelines WITH dedicated winters, even better. But I've met plenty of people in far worse winter conditions who've gone their whole lives without.
ok that's my point. I am sure this will be a winter people surely can go without it. especially in Tdot. Why waste time and money on putting them on. The few days we might get winter conditions are little enough to go into careful mode. You will be left with 99% of the time without any winter driving conditions in the city.
test9251 wrote: Cool, snowless winter!
There is a slight possibility that a heavy wet snowstorm comes, but the general trend is for it to be snow less almost all the time. Again, I think 99% of the time it will be snow-less, minus some small snowpack on the ground.
blahhh
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
13405 posts
9314 upvotes
Last year was pretty mild around this time until January came along. Still gonna need that parka
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Messerschmitt wrote: There's a reason why they are called all season.

Also, carry around with you a shovel in case you do get stuck. Shovel the snow out and you are golden. (if/when it snows if/when hard)
They are 4 season tires alright. they are good for Spring, summer, fall and baseball season ;)
blahhh
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10158 posts
2731 upvotes
8C in Edmonton today, our normal 30 year average is -5C

they are saying the last time we had the first 10 days of December above 0 was 28 years ago.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
4080 posts
348 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
Not slapping on the snow tires until I luv Jane and Finch say so......
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
gizmo8 wrote: Not slapping on the snow tires until I luv Jane and Finch say so......
lol sure. no green light for that for a while! This week looks so mild. whole month looks ridiculously warm. Wait till next month maybe.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4121 posts
926 upvotes
Sask.
-14 windchill now, but we're supposed to get above zero today, thanks to winds blowing in from AB
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10158 posts
2731 upvotes
natalka wrote: -14 windchill now, but we're supposed to get above zero today, thanks to winds blowing in from AB
6 today forecasted for Edmonton, -5 normally this time of year.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Now is THAT some forecast or what! all at least a couple degrees above normal and NONE of the nights even get below freezing. And they are supposed to be several degrees below freezing but look at it now!
I told you people December was going to be warm. When I ascertain that a long term trend will happen, you can take my word for it!
blahhh