Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2015
1044 posts
412 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I think we had at least 40cm of snow here in Ottawa. Husband came home and had to clear the driveway first. Many of our neighbours with sedan and smaller cars got stuck on the street as it hasn't been plowed since this morning. One of my neighbours is still stuck at work. We helped his wife clear the entrance of his driveway so he could get in later. My husband had to help 2 stucked drivers this afternoon. I haven't seen that much snow in one day. To top it off, my son had to be taken to a walk-in clinic because of an infection. Then got prescription at Costco. Took 3 hrs total to go and back, instead of normal 1hr. My other son's daycare was closed today due to a burst pipe.
The kids had fun outside playing in the snow though.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 12, 2011
4096 posts
413 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
ckay1980 wrote: I think we had at least 40cm of snow here in Ottawa. Husband came home and had to clear the driveway first. Many of our neighbours with sedan and smaller cars got stuck on the street as it hasn't been plowed since this morning. One of my neighbours is still stuck at work. We helped his wife clear the entrance of his driveway so he could get in later. My husband had to help 2 stucked drivers this afternoon. I haven't seen that much snow in one day. To top it off, my son had to be taken to a walk-in clinic because of an infection. Then got prescription at Costco. Took 3 hrs total to go and back, instead of normal 1hr. My other son's daycare was closed today due to a burst pipe.
The kids had fun outside playing in the snow though.
Just heard it's around 50cm now :(
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1438 posts
317 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
Still above average here, snow is almost all gone. They showed on the news that one of Calgary's golf courses was open today!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 7, 2007
20711 posts
4843 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Snowing again!
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 15, 2011
41914 posts
6606 upvotes
Yup can confirm too. Roads are back to a mess like yesterday. OP did your forecast say it'll snow today again? Will it snow for the remainder of the week? Overall cm accumulation in York Region (Particularly Concord and Richmond Hill)? How about downtown Toronto for Saturday - going to the auto show. Don't want it to be a repeat of last year with heavy snow and it taking 2 hours to get downtown.

I am not a fan of when it snows continuously. I rather prefer the cold. Actually I prefer the winter of the UK. It snows, but not intense (I think)? I prefer rain during winter lol.
Proud to be an Indian.
__________________________________________________________________________
Incident/Cyber Breach Response|Malware Analyzer|Threat Intellligence
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
djemzine wrote: Yup can confirm too. Roads are back to a mess like yesterday. OP did your forecast say it'll snow today again? Will it snow for the remainder of the week? Overall cm accumulation in York Region (Particularly Concord and Richmond Hill)? How about downtown Toronto for Saturday - going to the auto show. Don't want it to be a repeat of last year with heavy snow and it taking 2 hours to get downtown.

I am not a fan of when it snows continuously. I rather prefer the cold. Actually I prefer the winter of the UK. It snows, but not intense (I think)? I prefer rain during winter lol.
UK gets heavy precip if it is cold enough, which is rare, then the snow can be heavier than we usually get here.

And it seems like it almost stopped where I am. Isnt it just about done there too by now? I dont see much coming down now. It mostly dissipated.
blahhh
Deal Addict
May 31, 2006
1097 posts
110 upvotes
Burlington
Only a light dusting (measured in millimetres rather than cm) at this end of the GTA early this morning. On top of yesterday's ~ 5cm, of course.

Still beautiful outside with everything white for a change!

It's wonderful how just a few cm of snow finally arriving can be such a positive mood enhancer! This winter really has been miserable so far, as even the chilly-sunny days last weekend weren't any fun without snow on the ground. Yesterday and today, I've been the happiest I've been since last autumn! :D

Needless to say, I've been bouncing around, smiling ear-to-ear... annoying the sh!t out of the clueless curmudgeons who don't appreciate that nice weather has finally arrived in the GTA. :cheesygri
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 14, 2005
2269 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto, ON
djemzine wrote: Yup can confirm too. Roads are back to a mess like yesterday. OP did your forecast say it'll snow today again? Will it snow for the remainder of the week? Overall cm accumulation in York Region (Particularly Concord and Richmond Hill)? How about downtown Toronto for Saturday - going to the auto show. Don't want it to be a repeat of last year with heavy snow and it taking 2 hours to get downtown.

I am not a fan of when it snows continuously. I rather prefer the cold. Actually I prefer the winter of the UK. It snows, but not intense (I think)? I prefer rain during winter lol.
Dude... its gonna be raining Sat with a high of 7. Check weather office..
Hopefully the rain on Sat and the supposed warmup will melt this crap away. Cant stand slush or even snow.
Heatware (6-0-0)

FS:
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 13, 2010
6984 posts
1335 upvotes
Scarborough
But when it rains expect the highways to be VERY SLOW everywhere.......you'd wanna viva bus into finch and take the subway down instead from RH or Markham
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9412 posts
1770 upvotes
Toronto
CenturyBreak wrote: Only a light dusting (measured in millimetres rather than cm) at this end of the GTA early this morning. On top of yesterday's ~ 5cm, of course.

Still beautiful outside with everything white for a change!

It's wonderful how just a few cm of snow finally arriving can be such a positive mood enhancer! This winter really has been miserable so far, as even the chilly-sunny days last weekend weren't any fun without snow on the ground. Yesterday and today, I've been the happiest I've been since last autumn! :D

Needless to say, I've been bouncing around, smiling ear-to-ear... annoying the sh!t out of the clueless curmudgeons who don't appreciate that nice weather has finally arrived in the GTA. :cheesygri
It'l start melting on Friday as soon as we get past Thursday's chill.

Saturday's rain will come and wash the salt away.

By Sunday it'll be like it never happened.

You and Sandikosh enjoy it while it lasts.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2006
1097 posts
110 upvotes
Burlington
gh05t wrote: It'l start melting on Friday as soon as we get past Thursday's chill.

Saturday's rain will come and wash the salt away.

By Sunday it'll be like it never happened.

You and Sandikosh enjoy it while it lasts.
I will... soon enough it'll be back to f@@king miserable spring-wannabe conditions! :cry: > :( :evil:
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 7, 2007
20711 posts
4843 upvotes
Poormond Hill
CenturyBreak wrote: I will... soon enough it'll be back to f@@king miserable spring-wannabe conditions! :cry: > :( :evil:
Spring? F! Just thinking of summer scares me!
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2006
1097 posts
110 upvotes
Burlington
sandikosh wrote: Spring? F! Just thinking of summer scares me!
That's why spring is miserable: it means the seemingly-endless abominable hell that is southern Ontario summer is on its way!!! :mad: :evil:

Oh... that and the fact that it's wet and everything smells funny... ;) :razz:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
CenturyBreak wrote: That's why spring is miserable: it means the seemingly-endless abominable hell that is southern Ontario summer is on its way!!! :mad: :evil:

Oh... that and the fact that it's wet and everything smells funny... ;) :razz:
It's winter ... and you are already complaining about the heat that comes with our summer weather :lol:

Im guilty of the same. It's mid summer ..... and Im begging for late fall ;)
blahhh
Deal Addict
May 31, 2006
1097 posts
110 upvotes
Burlington
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: It's winter ... and you are already complaining about the heat that comes with our summer weather :lol:

Im guilty of the same. It's mid summer ..... and Im begging for late fall ;)
Not quite: I'm not pissed about summer until spring actually starts! :lol:

However... I do start dreaming about autumn once summer starts... while I'm "reverse hibernating" indoors waiting for the nice weather to return so I can lumber forth from my den... ;)

When things are truly evil in summer, I skip dreaming about autumn and go straight to dreaming about wonderful weather like today's: nice layer of snow on the ground and sunny... just glorious!!! :D
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
CenturyBreak wrote: Not quite: I'm not pissed about summer until spring actually starts! :lol:

However... I do start dreaming about autumn once summer starts... while I'm "reverse hibernating" indoors waiting for the nice weather to return so I can lumber forth from my den... ;)

When things are truly evil in summer, I skip dreaming about autumn and go straight to dreaming about wonderful weather like today's: nice layer of snow on the ground and sunny... just glorious!!! :D
To me the most addictive weather is when summer is ending in late September early October, a very cool north wind blows, the leaves change color amid the deep blue sky color or the thick autumn clouds that come with chilly cold fronts and I go out early morning in the refreshing conditions to see Canadian tire bringing out the halloween and Christmas stock. there is no better time of year for me than that. What I hate is when then in October the heat comes back and I sweat in 26 degrees while walking to Canadian tire to look for Christmas trees. ;) But I like the minimal temperature swings and not so heavy precipitation.
Long story short, I should say fall is the best for me.
I know a lot of people like it. it is the only season where you cant find any complaints. Never too hot never too cold.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
well folks! we may just have finished with winter already. I see no signs of any return to below normal before winter ends. With only 10 days left of meteorological winter and the long range looking kinda toasty for this time of year, there is no real chance to resume winter, at the worst, maybe a short bout of chilly air as is normal in March. but we got off really easy this year. While again nothing is ever certain, I can say it is highly probable at this point that the next cool spell will be far enough in the future that winter won't even resume. The next cold spell will be too late to bring on winter again and is likely to be a modified spring version. It may be finished early. So there you have it! started really late and ended super early! That is what I call an awesome winter!

Note that it was not till almost middle of last month that winter finally settled in and half of this month was also like spring so far and the rest of it also looks that way. We hardly even got a winter. So while it did not get cancelled totally, just look how short it was! I wish it is always like this!
blahhh
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 31, 2008
11565 posts
2087 upvotes
Toronto
Pretty weird to see the snow all melted this morning, hearing the birds chirping like it's spring when it felt like a winter wonderland all week.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3412 posts
355 upvotes
OP, will there be quite some snow on Wednesday and Thursday?

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)