Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2020 4:00 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2011
3049 posts
630 upvotes
So, how soon can we expect temps below zero and snow on a constant basis? Meaning snow not being melted the next day due to mild weather. But snow you will see on the ground until next March.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
^ well the winds are only 12 k away from the real thing ;)
wal3145 wrote: So, how soon can we expect temps below zero and snow on a constant basis? Meaning snow not being melted the next day due to mild weather. But snow you will see on the ground until next March.

Based on what I am seeing, it will take quite some time for this to happen. All long range models indicate a warming trend and god knows how long this major warming trend will take to taper off. But what I do know is that it won't be remotely similar to last years record where the consecutive number of days with snow on the ground smashed the old record by nearly a month! This year you have to probably wait till at least Christmas break . And even at that, there is a strong risk that it gets interupted with complete melting some time in the middle of winter as some years can feature an extended snow free period in say the second half of January. Maybe or maybe not we could see that also happen.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2010
1432 posts
352 upvotes
holy crap in durham the wind is like a hurricane...trees, light poles, all down! When will the wind die down???
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
12713 posts
2143 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Severe Weather Alerts - Toronto, Ontario
Wind Warning
Wind Warning in effect until Tuesday, 10:12 AM EST. Source: Environment Canada

CITY OF TORONTO:

STRONG WINDS THAT MAY CAUSE DAMAGE ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING.

A DEEP LOW OVER NORTHEASTERN ONTARIO WILL DRAG A SHARP COLD FRONT EAST ACROSS SOUTHERN ONTARIO THIS EVENING BRINGING VERY STRONG AND GUSTY SOUTHWESTERLY WINDS. SUSTAINED WIND SPEEDS OF 60 TO 70 KM/H WITH GUSTS OF 90 TO 100 KM/H HAVE ALREADY BEEN REPORTED NORTH OF LAKE ERIE AND NEAR WESTERN LAKE ONTARIO. WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO STRENGTHEN EARLY THIS EVENING NORTH OF EASTERN LAKE ONTARIO. THESE WINDS WILL BE STRONG ENOUGH TO CAUSE SOME TREE DAMAGE, WITH POWER OUTAGES POSSIBLE AS A RESULT. THE STRONG AND GUSTY WINDS WILL ALSO RESULT IN DIFFICULT DRIVING CONDITIONS, ESPECIALLY ON HIGHWAYS EXPOSED TO STRONG CROSS WINDS.

THE WINDS WILL SLOWLY DIMINISH LATE TONIGHT OR TUESDAY MORNING.

===================

MISSISSAUGA - BRAMPTON:

A DEEP LOW OVER NORTHEASTERN ONTARIO WILL DRAG A SHARP COLD FRONT EAST ACROSS SOUTHERN ONTARIO THIS EVENING BRINGING VERY STRONG AND GUSTY SOUTHWESTERLY WINDS. SUSTAINED WIND SPEEDS OF 60 TO 70 KM/H WITH GUSTS OF 90 TO 100 KM/H HAVE ALREADY BEEN REPORTED NORTH OF LAKE ERIE AND NEAR WESTERN LAKE ONTARIO. WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO STRENGTHEN EARLY THIS EVENING NORTH OF EASTERN LAKE ONTARIO. THESE WINDS WILL BE STRONG ENOUGH TO CAUSE SOME TREE DAMAGE, WITH POWER OUTAGES POSSIBLE AS A RESULT. THE STRONG AND GUSTY WINDS WILL ALSO RESULT IN DIFFICULT DRIVING CONDITIONS, ESPECIALLY ON HIGHWAYS EXPOSED TO STRONG CROSS WINDS.

===================

PICKERING - OSHAWA - SOUTHERN DURHAM REGION:

===================

VAUGHAN - RICHMOND HILL - MARKHAM:

If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
40618 posts
6207 upvotes
Pretty windy here in RH.
Proud to be an Indian.
Dec 19, 2005
2230 posts
707 upvotes
The tree across from my house came crashing down just as I got home from work and was getting out of the car, pulling down some wires across the street in the process. I tried to warn 2 cars but they couldn't see and both cars clipped the dangling wire. Toronto Fire came and taped off the block but the tape kept ripping. Now a police car and parking enforcement car are parked at each end of the block to prevent cars from driving through.
“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. -Wayne Gretzky"
- Michael Scott
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5609 posts
856 upvotes
Toronto
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Based on what I am seeing, it will take quite some time for this to happen. All long range models indicate a warming trend and god knows how long this major warming trend will take to taper off. But what I do know is that it won't be remotely similar to last years record where the consecutive number of days with snow on the ground smashed the old record by nearly a month! This year you have to probably wait till at least Christmas break . And even at that, there is a strong risk that it gets interupted with complete melting some time in the middle of winter as some years can feature an extended snow free period in say the second half of January. Maybe or maybe not we could see that also happen.
Thanks for sharing the good news, again. :lol:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
test9251 wrote: Thanks for sharing the good news, again. :lol:
Welcome :|

I had no idea you were this interested in the avoidance of winter lol
Well this may be your year!

;)
blahhh
Banned
Jul 26, 2009
4315 posts
663 upvotes
Toronto
Wind isn't too bad here in Stouffville, doesn't blow me off my feet when walking my dog.
i5-3570K 3.4GHz | ASUS DCII 7850 2Gb
8Gb DDR3 1333MHz | 128GB HyperX SSD + 1Tb HDD
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | Ultra 650W PSU | Dell 22" 1920x1080 LED
The proud owner of a brand new ASUS T100!!!
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12144 posts
1100 upvotes
Brampton
Its not a good time to be walking around downtown Toronto. The glass from condo buildings ain't so strong and it might come crashing down on your head.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2006
1391 posts
307 upvotes
GTA
I wish it would let up for a few hours at least. I've already had flying debris hit the side of the house with a loud thud and my trees outside are bending like crazy. I hate winter and it aint even here yet.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2006
3522 posts
115 upvotes
Halton
Wind is still going strong in hamilton/Cambridge area. I had to remove a ton of tree branches before entering the lane way.
Enjoy Life

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)