Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2020 4:00 pm
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20552 posts
4598 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: That's an understatement lol
It is so far into the negatives, you would think it was early January.
There is too much negatives in this thread. People you need to see the positives in everyrhing. If this was the humid summer you all be complaining about the smelly sweating person sitting next to you on the ttc. With these cool weather we are now enjoying, there is no need for such foul odoring aromas. Enjoy and embrace everything life has to offer.

P.S. Minus 10. Ain't it wonderful?
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5609 posts
856 upvotes
Toronto
sandikosh wrote: There is too much negatives in this thread. People you need to see the positives in everyrhing. If this was the humid summer you all be complaining about the smelly sweating person sitting next to you on the ttc. With these cool weather we are now enjoying, there is no need for such foul odoring aromas. Enjoy and embrace everything life has to offer.

P.S. Minus 10. Ain't it wonderful?
What? Have you ever smelled the winter jackets of people in subways and buses? stinks so hard.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1998 posts
414 upvotes
Ottawa
I feel like we are at least a month behind schedule and it isn't looking that much better based on 14 days forecast - about 5 degrees below average. Some are predicting this may be the pattern to expect for upcoming winters.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-new ... on-the-way

Eh hopefully this will be my last winter on East coast.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20552 posts
4598 upvotes
Poormond Hill
test9251 wrote: What? Have you ever smelled the winter jackets of people in subways and buses? stinks so hard.
Years and years of ttc and have never never experienced it.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20552 posts
4598 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Op, what is the outlook for summer? Is it anything like last year? That was incredible weather! Very few days of 30+ heat. Windows were opened. Air conditioning around the neighbourhood was off. Very peaceful.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2105 posts
403 upvotes
Ancaster, ON
Freezing rain tomorrow just in time for morning rush hour

http://www.cp24.com/weather/freezing-ra ... -1.2294651

WEATHER WARNINGS
FREEZING RAIN WARNING IN EFFECT, City of Hamilton
SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT IN EFFECT, City of Toronto
FREEZING RAIN WARNING IN EFFECT, Burlington - Oakville
FREEZING RAIN WARNING IN EFFECT, Caledon
FREEZING RAIN WARNING IN EFFECT, Halton Hills - Milton
FREEZING RAIN WARNING IN EFFECT, Mississauga - Brampton
SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT IN EFFECT, Apsley - Woodview - Northern Peterborough County
SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT IN EFFECT, Fenelon Falls - Balsam Lake Park - Northern Kawartha Lakes
SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT IN EFFECT, Lindsay - Southern Kawartha Lakes
SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT IN EFFECT, Peterborough City - Lakefield - Southern Peterborough County
SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT IN EFFECT, Newmarket - Georgina - Northern York Region
SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT IN EFFECT, Pickering - Oshawa - Southern Durham Region
SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT IN EFFECT, Uxbridge - Beaverton - Northern Durham Region
SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT IN EFFECT, Vaughan - Richmond Hill - Markham
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Posted exactly a month ago today:
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: We now run the risk of being stuck permanently in a new jet stream pattern due to climate change. This is a pattern where the jet stream shoots up into the Arctic and plunges into eastern north america and the polar vortex continuously gets dislodged into the region. Beause the Arctic is a sea and thus is warmer, there is a big risk the polar vortex attatches itself more to north america. This is a very serious climatalogical threat we could be facing. would be funny if it drives a ton of people outta there lol. You never know. I don't know what are all the effects this may have on Canada but it could be serious. The GFS shows no signs of winter letting up when it should by now.

We have been in this pattern since the start of November in 2013 and polar vortex and cold (even summer version) have not stopped plaguing our area since then. If this pattern does not let up by the time we enter 2016, we are looking at a real risk that this pattern will stick. Now THAT would be bad!

To get an idea of how strange this weather pattern is, the temperatures are constantly showing up same or colder in Toronto compared to the Arctic north of Alaska.
So I suspected this pattern would stick. Little did I know other forecasters would say the same thing afterwards.
markom wrote:
http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-new ... on-the-way And the news gets worse: The past two ultracold winters may be the pattern for Ottawa’s future, says an extreme weather expert who will speak to MPs and senators this week.

Ronald Stewart of the University of Manitoba, who will speak at a breakfast on the Hill Thursday, says the big chill began with changes on the Pacific coast. “You’ve heard a lot about the California drought, right?”............ And all this forces the flow of air from the Pacific Ocean to shift far to the north as it begins its west-to-east trip across our continent.

Then it comes back from the Arctic. And it hits us.

“So if you believe some of these scenarios about drought being far more common in the West (in the long term), then the downside to that is the East,” with more cold air in winter, Stewart said.

“We may not see as much dryness and hotness” as western areas with increasing drought. In Eastern Canada, “it may actually be the opposite.”

That’s exactly the picture of the past winter as painted by Environment Canada and the Weather Network. We’ve had more Arctic air than usual.

Eh hopefully this will be my last winter on East coast.
And who was the first person around here to bring up the topic of the cold east/warm west patter getting stuck permanently? ME!!!!! I really knew what I was talking about when I put it out there about the west probably not stopping hogging the warmth. I predicted that there was a permanent change to the jet stream location and that it would go up in the west, making it warm there, and down in the east, dragging most of the Arctic air to the part of Canada containing Ontario and Quebec.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11585 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Now I am taking this stuff really serious.y. If it really will stay warm west cold east, I seriously think I need to consider Alberta or BC. Okanogan valley is where life is at
blahhh
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5609 posts
856 upvotes
Toronto
Wow, winter just wont go away. I am in cursed land.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19218 posts
6264 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
There is no such thing as a permanent weather pattern... Don't worry, the climate is still changing.

Upside is Ontario will be just perfect when global warming makes the currently warm places compete hell holes. :)
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20552 posts
4598 upvotes
Poormond Hill
test9251 wrote: Wow, winter just wont go away. I am in cursed land.
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: We all are :|
Not me. I'm enjoying it. :D
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7228 posts
690 upvotes
Toronto
Five months and counting of winter weather... Maybe we will hit six this year.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)