PC & Video Games

Official Xbox Series S/X Thread - November 10 Release ($379/$599)

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 27th, 2020 2:53 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 5, 2001
6455 posts
4451 upvotes

Official Xbox Series S/X Thread - November 10 Release ($379/$599)

Last edited by 9394 on Sep 9th, 2020 3:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.
1439 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2007
1153 posts
299 upvotes
I prefer the Xbox experience so this is a system I'm ready for. I skipped the XB1X because I knew these new systems were coming soon.They only thing that'll stop me from buying day 1 is if I can't find a trade-in program or sell my current XB1S system privately. Either way, I'm very excited for this system.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8558 posts
2953 upvotes
Digital Foundry's new feature on the XBox Series X and its design implications.

Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5380 posts
1025 upvotes
calgary
A pretty liable insider parsed through some driver data and pegged the PS5 at 9.2TF.

Rumors also strongly hint to a 4TF "1080p" next gen Xbox.

I'm starting to wonder if we'll see three tiers of hardware at three different price points from two different manufacturers.

Ie:
Xbox Series X: 12TF @ 499 USD
PS5: 9.2 TF @ 399 USD
Xbox Series S: 4 TF @ 299 USD.

Its gonna muddy stuff for sure.

Alternatively Microsoft could make a massive power play and release at the same price point as the PS5, but I highly doubt that considering they could have done that with the Xbox One X and didn't.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4568 posts
1680 upvotes
Ajax
SpicYMchaggis wrote: A pretty liable insider parsed through some driver data and pegged the PS5 at 9.2TF.

Rumors also strongly hint to a 4TF "1080p" next gen Xbox.

I'm starting to wonder if we'll see three tiers of hardware at three different price points from two different manufacturers.

Ie:
Xbox Series X: 12TF @ 499 USD
PS5: 9.2 TF @ 399 USD
Xbox Series S: 4 TF @ 299 USD.

Its gonna muddy stuff for sure.

Alternatively Microsoft could make a massive power play and release at the same price point as the PS5, but I highly doubt that considering they could have done that with the Xbox One X and didn't.
I'm in day one along with whatever Sony has as well.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 12, 2005
9727 posts
1841 upvotes
Victoria
For me, the thing that pulls me into the next gen, is whichever company puts out an exclusive I want to play first. I have no problem owning both, but it's that first one that pulls me in. I just bought an Xbox One X as a media box for the living room (and will probably play some games on it), but it's been a good ride with the ps4 and ps4pro. I really hope microsoft makes some good single player exclusives in the next gen. Sony put out great ones, but only having one of the two companies doing it, made them few and far between :(
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4568 posts
1680 upvotes
Ajax
zod wrote: For me, the thing that pulls me into the next gen, is whichever company puts out an exclusive I want to play first. I have no problem owning both, but it's that first one that pulls me in. I just bought an Xbox One X as a media box for the living room (and will probably play some games on it), but it's been a good ride with the ps4 and ps4pro. I really hope microsoft makes some good single player exclusives in the next gen. Sony put out great ones, but only having one of the two companies doing it, made them few and far between :(
I'm curious with your choice to use it as media box. Wouldn't an Nvidia Shield Pro or Amazon 4K stick/cube be a more efficient option?
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4568 posts
1680 upvotes
Ajax
I'm pegging this to be $599-$649 CDN on launch. Similar on PS5 depending on what they have under the hood.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 12, 2005
9727 posts
1841 upvotes
Victoria
mrtvgame wrote: I'm curious with your choice to use it as media box. Wouldn't an Nvidia Shield Pro or Amazon 4K stick/cube be a more efficient option?
I actually have a Firestick 4k (that I use for 1080p). It's pretty amazing for streaming.

It's all about me being a luddite. I still use optical media, have a big bluray collection, and on rare occasions still bust out a cd. I could play bluray's on my ps4pro, but I tend to leave it in my office where I do the most gaming. I left my old ps3 in the living room as it could play bluray/cd's. The optical drive started to go. It was struggling with inserting/ejecting discs :(
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1395 posts
450 upvotes
zod wrote: I actually have a Firestick 4k (that I use for 1080p). It's pretty amazing for streaming.

It's all about me being a luddite. I still use optical media, have a big bluray collection, and on rare occasions still bust out a cd. I could play bluray's on my ps4pro, but I tend to leave it in my office where I do the most gaming. I left my old ps3 in the living room as it could play bluray/cd's. The optical drive started to go. It was struggling with inserting/ejecting discs :(
I used a PS3 as a media server for the longest time especially when paired with PS3 Media Server which I still have installed on my PC lol. Never had to buy one of those WD Live TV media boxes that were popular back in the day. PS4 is way too loud to be used as a media player. Come to think of it my first media player was an original modded/hacked first generation xbox. If you don't care about exclusives then the xbox one x is an amazing piece of hardware.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 12, 2005
9727 posts
1841 upvotes
Victoria
Bryson wrote: I used a PS3 as a media server for the longest time especially when paired with PS3 Media Server which I still have installed on my PC lol. Never had to buy one of those WD Live TV media boxes that were popular back in the day. PS4 is way too loud to be used as a media player. Come to think of it my first media player was an original modded/hacked first generation xbox. If you don't care about exclusives then the xbox one x is an amazing piece of hardware.
My ps4pro runs pretty quiet if it's playing a bluray, but if you're playing a game, sometimes it sounds like a jet engine. The Xbox One X seems pretty quiet in comparison.

Unfortunately I do care about exclusives, hence why I been on ps4/ps4pro this whole time. I think Xbox does a better job making their machine do stuff that isn't games (bluray player, 4k bluray player, cd app, other apps, kodi so your media centre isn't useless). Sony is a fair bit better at making great AAA single player games. Something MS stopped doing :(

Funny thing is in the last gen I started with a 360 then bought a ps3 to play blurays. After a year or two they really started making great exclusives and it drew me in as a console. It's never too late for Microsoft. Would love a new fable game. I've never had a problem owning multiple consoles in the same gen :)

Top