PC & Video Games

Official Xbox Series S/X Thread - November 10 Release ($379/$599)

• Last Updated:
  • May 11th, 2022 8:35 am
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
9471 posts
2954 upvotes
Caerus wrote:
Having floating cash in a warchest not being used and likely to be taxed heavily is one thing. But also not having a single investor question the biggest gaming acquisition at ~$70B is also interesting.
Taking over the gaming world.... :twisted:
That is bizarre Thinking Face
STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
20518 posts
9966 upvotes
Oakville
CFRTim wrote: I believe that's UK only
Yup. They don't like how auto-renewals are handled, so this is mostly to protect people who subscribe and forget to unsubscribe.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2007
1930 posts
831 upvotes
YYC
Anyone picking up Dying Light 2? It's going to be my first purchase in what seems like forever.

I had lots of fun with the first one and this seems to be more of the same. Hopefully the day one patch squashes some of the bugs.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2014
1920 posts
1139 upvotes
Toronto, ON
inocent wrote: Anyone picking up Dying Light 2? It's going to be my first purchase in what seems like forever.

I had lots of fun with the first one and this seems to be more of the same. Hopefully the day one patch squashes some of the bugs.
It looks good, but it's not my type of game, so I won't be picking it up. Reviews are pretty good so far, it's just that it seems full of bugs and glitches.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
8349 posts
8344 upvotes
Toronto

I still think they should have released Scalebound. Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
9471 posts
2954 upvotes
Sounds legit. From evil to savior.

But only on Game Pass

STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5333 posts
2314 upvotes
Toronto
wearysky wrote: This is good:
Yup... again, too much money is left on the table to not keep it multiplatform, and this game and the entire acquisition isn't in the same category as the Bethesda one.

More interesting though:
"We are also interested in taking similar steps to support Nintendo's successful platform." Smith continued. "We believe this is the right thing for the industry, for gamers and for our business."
I don't think that means Warzone is gonna make it to Switch, but could it be that they can fit COD Mobile on it? Seems like something that could be done if Nintendo is in agreement...
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2014
1920 posts
1139 upvotes
Toronto, ON
wearysky wrote: This is good:
This could be a tactic by Microsoft to appease regulators who may oppose the purchase of Activision Blizzard. MS is also making changes to its app store policies to appear less anti-competitive than Google and Apple.
Last edited by Niklasky on Feb 9th, 2022 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2007
1042 posts
909 upvotes
I think they probably had a discussion with the FTC last week which forced their hand
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2006
1406 posts
627 upvotes
Nova Scotia
Or they realized the revenue stream for transactions with COD franchise is a more sound business decision. I honestly think making it exclusive is silly.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
3395 posts
5079 upvotes
9394 wrote:

I still think they should have released Scalebound. Face With Tears Of Joy
https://www.ign.com/articles/scalebound-platinum-xbox-phil-spencer
PlatinumGames wants to return to Scalebound, the dragon-filled Xbox exclusive it cancelled in 2017 – and has appealed to Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer to begin those discussions.

Speaking to IGN Japan, Platinum president Atsushi Inaba explained that Scalebound creator Hideki Kamiya, “has been talking about wanting to work on Scalebound again for a while.”

Kamiya himself added: “I’d like to appeal to Phil Spencer directly! Let’s do it, Phil!”

Kamiya has not been shy about expressing his regret over the game's cancellation, and the developer has said before that that it would love to return to the game with Microsoft's permission.

However, Inaba made clear that this isn't an idle wish, and they'd like to reopen talks with Microsoft about the idea:

“Often in an interview you might hear a developer politely saying, ‘Yes, if we had the opportunity we’d love to work on that again’, but we don’t mean it that way. Both Kamiya and I are serious – we really would love to work on Scalebound again. I’d like to discuss it with Microsoft properly.”

Kamiya went further: "Development had progressed a fair way, and it seems pointless for Microsoft to just hold on to that and not do anything with it.”

Kamiya then switched to English to say, “Phil! Phil! Let’s do it together!"

Inaba has previously lamented that Microsoft took much of the blame for the cancellation of Scalebound, saying that "game development is hard and both sides learned lessons, for sure." Last year, Kamiya explained more about the cancellation, and apologised to fans and Microsoft.

"It was a big challenge for Platinum Games," he said. "We were working in an environment we weren’t used to. We were developing on the Unreal engine, we also lacked the necessary know-how to build a game based on online features. The hurdles we had to overcome were very big."

A new issue for getting Scalebound back off the ground may be an entirely different game – Hitman developer IO Interactive is reportedly working on an Xbox exclusive fantasy game featuring dragons. Given that Scalebound could be described in a very similar way, that might feel a little close for comfort.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5333 posts
2314 upvotes
Toronto
Good context behind why it was cancelled, and I don't think they really explained what happened there. I'd love to see Platinum create more games, but tbh I'd rather see them make a sequel to Vanquish first before going back and trying to fix what was wrong with Scalebound.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
3395 posts
5079 upvotes
M1GOmigs wrote: Good context behind why it was cancelled, and I don't think they really explained what happened there. I'd love to see Platinum create more games, but tbh I'd rather see them make a sequel to Vanquish first before going back and trying to fix what was wrong with Scalebound.
Vanquish was a fantastic game! A sequel would be sweet. But SEGA owns that IP.

Sure, Kamiya apologized for Scalebound. But he also let Xbox take all the heat for years without a peep, before saying that a good portion of the fault for the cancellation was on Platinum.

Xbox already has the IO Interactive Dragon game in development. They also have the Monster Hunter style game in the works from Certain Affinity.

This did not age well at all. Not just the graphics and gameplay which was already bad at the time, but everything about it. The headphones, bad cheesy one liners and acting. It's all dated and tacky. They should just let it go.

Or if they really want to revive it, Xbox could just sell the IP to Platinum. Then maybe add a stipulation that it has timed exclusivity and day 1 Game Pass for a year or something. But I doubt they'd make it in that case, since they probably want Xbox to foot the bill.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)