PC & Video Games

Official Xbox Series S/X Thread - November 10 Release ($379/$599)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 30th, 2020 3:24 pm
Mar 8, 2017
98 posts
43 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
Up until a few days ago, I wasn't even looking at the XBOX next gen console. As a PS4 day one adopter, I was very much committed to getting a PS5 on launch. However with all the news that has come out this week, especially the announcement of the $299 Series S, Gamepass + EA Play, I am very strongly thinking of going with a series S + game pass as my day one buy and holding out for the PS5 until the slim version comes out. Or, at the very least, a must play PS exclusive for me that will not be released on the PS4 Pro.

The last xbox I owned was the original one, and I haven't really looked at the Microsoft side of things for 2 generations now. They've definitely won back my interest with these recent developments and while I am almost certain I will get a PS5 at some point, its no longer a day one purchase for me. And, I am a casual gamer, usually play a few hours a week mostly sports or FPS. Spend xmas holidays playing a bunch but thats about it.

I'll be interested to see what the sony camp does come out with, but I think the ship has sailed for me at least.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
2179 posts
884 upvotes
Montreal, QC
man, i've just seen the size comparison and the Smol is just so tiny and cute but i need the horsepower of the X. decision decision
Jan 25, 2006
810 posts
196 upvotes
Nova Scotia
Moved my gaming up to the den and now im using a BenQ 27" 2560x1440 QHD 16:9 HDR IPS 2K monitor. It's been fine so far but may eventually move it back to my samsung 55" 4k TV in the basement. Been nice to just jump on here and there to play a level of a game without having to leave the family so to speak. Leaning towards the S now. No plans to get rid of the X and may give that to my son to play on his 4k TV. Decisions decisions...seems like most of us have that now. Not a bad thing though.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2007
1117 posts
686 upvotes
London, ON
Bryson wrote: https://www.gamespew.com/2020/09/xbox-s ... -confirms/

“Xbox Series S was designed to be the most affordable next generation console and play next generation games at 1440P at 60fps. To deliver the highest quality backwards compatible experience consistent with the developer’s original intent, the Xbox Series S runs the Xbox One S version of backward compatible games while applying improved texture filtering, higher and more consistent frame rates, faster load times and Auto HDR.”
Yep. That stinks. As someone with an Xbox One X and 1080p display, it's still been nice having those enhancements. Red Dead Redemption super-sampled looks really good compared to the standard Xbox One BC version.

I assume older games that offer performance modes to bump frame rates will not get that on XSS--unless developers do the work again to support next-gen. The Witcher 3 seemingly will, and several ongoing live games like Destiny 2 and Rainbow Six Siege will. But I have to imagine most will not.

This also gives me a bit less faith that XSS will be powerful enough to succeed at its main goal: Xbox Series X games at lower resolutions, with little other compromise.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4615 posts
1705 upvotes
Ajax
AnonymousBroccoli wrote: Yep. That stinks. As someone with an Xbox One X and 1080p display, it's still been nice having those enhancements. Red Dead Redemption super-sampled looks really good compared to the standard Xbox One BC version.

I assume older games that offer performance modes to bump frame rates will not get that on XSS--unless developers do the work again to support next-gen. The Witcher 3 seemingly will, and several ongoing live games like Destiny 2 and Rainbow Six Siege will. But I have to imagine most will not.

This also gives me a bit less faith that XSS will be powerful enough to succeed at its main goal: Xbox Series X games at lower resolutions, with little other compromise.
Yeah I have no problem dumping off the PS4 Pro I have but I am thinking it might be good to keep the One X for kiddos in the basement on a 4K display while I put the series X in the HT set up. Decisions as well!
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1395 posts
450 upvotes
mrtvgame wrote: Well what a dumbass way to reveal the S. I mean they could have had this reveal last week, say nothing about Series X and it would have been better. But like this? Unless....it was somehow planned. Someone, somewhere made the plans. Can't believe nobody in the gaming press can get a hold of Phil and ask him directly WTF is going on here.
Be careful what you wish for. This is probably the most positive hype Xbox has had in a really long time. Couldn't have asked for a better outcome. The original reveal presentation to debut the Series S was leaked and let's just say that was painful to watch. Thank God those websites leaked the info ahead of time. MS should just stick to making announcements on twitter from now on.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
2179 posts
884 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Bryson wrote: MS should just stick to making announcements on twitter from now on.
yeah. they should wait for leaks and then social media reveal. let the people do all the talking, there's no greater hype than that
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8568 posts
2960 upvotes
Phil Spencer did address the leak on Twitter. He said the planned XBox Series S and XBox Series X release date and price reveal was supposed to happen next week.
WindowsCentral leaked both which forced Microsoft to respond immediately.
mrtvgame wrote: Well what a dumbass way to reveal the S. I mean they could have had this reveal last week, say nothing about Series X and it would have been better. But like this? Unless....it was somehow planned. Someone, somewhere made the plans. Can't believe nobody in the gaming press can get a hold of Phil and ask him directly WTF is going on here.
Aug 27, 2006
728 posts
287 upvotes
Delta
Best buy and EBGames will be setup for preorders on Sept 22, does anyone know about Amazon.ca?
:twisted: In order to save money, you must spend money. :twisted:
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
18330 posts
8171 upvotes
Oakville
Spud387 wrote: Best buy and EBGames will be setup for preorders on Sept 22, does anyone know about Amazon.ca?
I haven't seen an official announcement yet, but I imagine that just about any retailer that's going to be selling it will have their preorders starting on that day.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
6467 posts
4458 upvotes
wearysky wrote: I haven't seen an official announcement yet, but I imagine that just about any retailer that's going to be selling it will have their preorders starting on that day.
I dropped by my local EBG yesterday and asked about console trade-ins and the CSR they will be coming and should be better than current values.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
18330 posts
8171 upvotes
Oakville
9394 wrote: I dropped by my local EBG yesterday and asked about console trade-ins and the CSR they will be coming and should be better than current values.
I'm curious to see what the numbers look like (and how it'll work for pre-orders). Because obvs I don't want to give up my current console till I get my new one. :)
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
6467 posts
4458 upvotes
wearysky wrote: I'm curious to see what the numbers look like (and how it'll work for pre-orders). Because obvs I don't want to give up my current console till I get my new one. :)
I remember when I traded in my XB1 for XB1X. There was about a week where I didn't have an Xbox. At least there's xCloud now. Face With Tears Of Joy