PC & Video Games

Official Xbox Series S/X Thread - November 10 Release ($379/$599)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 24th, 2020 8:00 pm
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
18200 posts
8056 upvotes
Oakville
9394 wrote: I remember when I traded in my XB1 for XB1X. There was about a week where I didn't have an Xbox. At least there's xCloud now. Face With Tears Of Joy
A week I could handle. But if it's not guaranteed launch-day availability for all pre-orders? And I trade in a week before launch and get delayed? There could be some serious withdrawal happening (although depending on the trade-in values, I'll probably only be trading in my One X or the kids' One S, so there should still be at least one XBox in the house. The kids may just have to live without for a while Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes)
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1395 posts
450 upvotes
Sony is also increasing the price of their exclusives from 60-70 USD (so 90$CAD) which indirectly just shot the value of xbox gamepass straight through the roof!
Aug 27, 2006
727 posts
287 upvotes
Delta
I have Game Pass Ultimate and honestly, between trying games on PC and xCloud in addition to the Xbox it is absolutely unreal.
:twisted: In order to save money, you must spend money. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4512 posts
1648 upvotes
Ajax
wearysky wrote: A week I could handle. But if it's not guaranteed launch-day availability for all pre-orders? And I trade in a week before launch and get delayed? There could be some serious withdrawal happening (although depending on the trade-in values, I'll probably only be trading in my One X or the kids' One S, so there should still be at least one XBox in the house. The kids may just have to live without for a while Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes)
That;s the problem with EB. For PS5 in store-preorders they are suggesting people line up by 6 am tomorrow. So unless you are willing to do that the trade in is going to be useless to most of us on here until next Spring when stock might be readily available.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4512 posts
1648 upvotes
Ajax
It's curious that Microsoft waited for September 22 to do pre-orders. They basically handed Sony the open door to get their pre-orders out the door first.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
6427 posts
4416 upvotes
Safe to assume EBG Xbox Series X trade-in values will be the same. For the PS5, looks like you are out a system for more than a month.

Get up to $270 trade credit when you trade select consoles towards the preorder of the PS5
$270 - Pro PS4(1TB), Nintendo Switch
$235 - PS4 Slim (1TB), Xbox One X
$215 - PS4 Slim (500GB)
$150 - Xbox One S (500GB, 1TB,2TB), PS4 (500GB), Nintendo Switch Lite
$115 - Xbox One (500GB,1TB)

Run dates: Sept 17th - Oct 1st
Offer is only valid when trading towards the Preorder of PS5. While preorder quantities last. Cannot be combined with other Trade offers including EDGE. Trade must be in full working condition. Altered consoles will not be accepted for trade. Hardware must have all necessary components for trade. Subject to manager approval. Offer subject to change at any time. No substitutions will be made. No rainchecks.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4512 posts
1648 upvotes
Ajax
9394 wrote: Safe to assume EBG Xbox Series X trade-in values will be the same. For the PS5, looks like you are out a system for more than a month.

Get up to $270 trade credit when you trade select consoles towards the preorder of the PS5
$270 - Pro PS4(1TB), Nintendo Switch
$235 - PS4 Slim (1TB), Xbox One X
$215 - PS4 Slim (500GB)
$150 - Xbox One S (500GB, 1TB,2TB), PS4 (500GB), Nintendo Switch Lite
$115 - Xbox One (500GB,1TB)

Run dates: Sept 17th - Oct 1st
Offer is only valid when trading towards the Preorder of PS5. While preorder quantities last. Cannot be combined with other Trade offers including EDGE. Trade must be in full working condition. Altered consoles will not be accepted for trade. Hardware must have all necessary components for trade. Subject to manager approval. Offer subject to change at any time. No substitutions will be made. No rainchecks.
Right but as I mentioned above, who is really going to be able to take advantage of this? All 25 people at each store? Unless you line up early tomorrow, it's not like they will have more allocation by October. As such, it's kind of a moot point for many on here.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2409 posts
2547 upvotes
GTA
mrtvgame wrote: It's curious that Microsoft waited for September 22 to do pre-orders. They basically handed Sony the open door to get their pre-orders out the door first.
Put it in perspective, I think Sony surprised everyone.
-The Showcase was announced very recently, with no real head's up it would happen or that price would be announced. Sony even denied price would be mentioned
-EB had TIV of the PS4's lower until yesterday. For example the Pro was $250, and I think these prices were based on the Xbox announcement. After the announcement TIV values jumped, the Pro is now $270. I suspect maybe EB was even caught off guard a bit
-Sony dropped preorders right after the announcement? Who even... ?

The Xbox price leak was a major turning point. This was an E3 PS4 moment for them all over again: MS showed their moves and Sony adjusted on the fly. Maybe it was hubris on the part of Microsoft, or maybe they didn't think Sony could realistically get the jump on them in such short time, or maybe they didn't care because they are that confident in Gamepass and the Series S.

EDIT: Now word has it retailers broke street date by dropping preorders early. Maybe a sign of wanting to battle the covid blues and get sales going.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4512 posts
1648 upvotes
Ajax
BernardRyder wrote: Put it in perspective, I think Sony surprised everyone.
-The Showcase was announced very recently, with no real head's up it would happen or that price would be announced. Sony even denied price would be mentioned
-EB had TIV of the PS4's lower until yesterday. For example the Pro was $250, and I think these prices were based on the Xbox announcement. After the announcement TIV values jumped, the Pro is now $270. I suspect maybe EB was even caught off guard a bit
-Sony dropped preorders right after the announcement? Who even... ?

The Xbox price leak was a major turning point. This was an E3 PS4 moment for them all over again: MS showed their moves and Sony adjusted on the fly. Maybe it was hubris on the part of Microsoft, or maybe they didn't think Sony could realistically get the jump on them in such short time, or maybe they didn't care because they are that confident in Gamepass and the Series S.

EDIT: Now word has it retailers broke street date by dropping preorders early. Maybe a sign of wanting to battle the covid blues and get sales going.
Do you have a link to the news that it broke early? Because really Sony Canada stated check your online retailer last night.
Dec 7, 2012
35 posts
13 upvotes
BernardRyder wrote: Put it in perspective, I think Sony surprised everyone.
Sony pissed on everyone. They said they'll announce pre-orders well ahead of time, but instead, it was 1 day before, and not actually mentionned on stream. You had to see it from a Tweet.
And all the retailers broke the deadline, and everything got sold out before the end of yesterday, while everyone (who saw the Tweet) was expecting pre-orders today.
The whole thing's a mess because Sony tried to overtake MS.

And do i need to mention how they're trying to hide the timed-exclusivity with FF16 by modifying their trailer fine-print? nd making all their games cross-gen after bragging about how they believe in generation jumps?

Most of my friends will get a ps5. I wanted to like it, but I can't. I'd rather wait a year to play FF16 when it comes out on PC/xbox.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2409 posts
2547 upvotes
GTA
mrtvgame wrote: Do you have a link to the news that it broke early? Because really Sony Canada stated check your online retailer last night.
No honestly I don't actually, just seeing the chatter so I can't say this is legit
c'mon get happy!
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
18200 posts
8056 upvotes
Oakville
mrtvgame wrote: It's curious that Microsoft waited for September 22 to do pre-orders. They basically handed Sony the open door to get their pre-orders out the door first.
I don't think Microsoft was intending to release the next gen info till later in the month. When the leak happened, they decided "screw it, we'll release our info now but we'll keep our pre-order date the same". Sony's reaction appears to have been "Ahh crap MS released their info early, we're not ready but screw it, we'll do a half-assed release "event" and do our pre-orders immediately even though we're TOTALLY not ready for it". At least, from what I've seen people saying about how disorganized and insane the PS5 pre-order is. Sony originally said they'd give people "plenty of notice" for pre-orders, but they seem to have backed out on that due to Microsoft's (much smoother, in my opinion) handling of the leak.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2409 posts
2547 upvotes
GTA
Sirocco wrote: Sony pissed on everyone. They said they'll announce pre-orders well ahead of time, but instead, it was 1 day before, and not actually mentionned on stream. You had to see it from a Tweet.
And all the retailers broke the deadline, and everything got sold out before the end of yesterday, while everyone (who saw the Tweet) was expecting pre-orders today.
The whole thing's a mess because Sony tried to overtake MS.

And do i need to mention how they're trying to hide the timed-exclusivity with FF16 by modifying their trailer fine-print? nd making all their games cross-gen after bragging about how they believe in generation jumps?

Most of my friends will get a ps5. I wanted to like it, but I can't. I'd rather wait a year to play FF16 when it comes out on PC/xbox.
Is the tweet you mean from Geoff Keighley? Yesterday his first tweet said PS5 would have preorders today, then he followed it up very quickly with news that retailers are releasing them now. The fact that the info was Tweeted, I mean OK, Twitter is pretty popular, so it didn't meet your definition of info release, but still...
Console preorders have been trickling out pretty steadily since they started, you can read the Hot Deals thread for evidence if you don't believe me. So they didn't release preorders and stop, they are still happening if you are really interested in getting one (but probably not for much longer).
Maybe this method of trickling out is a way to help get more consoles to people instead of reseller bots? Look at what happened with the Switch a few months ago when everyone was in lockdown. They were impossible to get because bots were nabbing them before consumers could. In any case, this sort of thing is reality until there is a way to stop large-scale resellers. The new Xbox will go through the same issues, difference is the resellers can prepare waaayyyyy ahead...

All your timed exclusive stuff and the typical game console marketing speak that upsets you, I don't even want to bother. And why are you trying to like the PS5? Dude, don't follow your friends, get what you like better. Play Xbox, Switch, or PC even, nothing wrong with that. Who knows, some of the games they play might be cross-platform anyway, so it's all good.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
2148 posts
853 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Because their event to announce prices, the smol Xbox was to happen around Sept 22nd with pre-orders up as soon. As Phil said in a tweet, the info leaked about a week too early so they just maintain the pre-order date instead
Aug 27, 2006
727 posts
287 upvotes
Delta
Sony scrambled to their their announcement out and to get preorders out first, hence why preorder timing and availability has been a crap shoot with some retailers going in and out of stock a few times in only 1-2 days. MS did their announcement early because of leaks, but maintained original planned preorder date. Theoretically Xbox preordering, while very busy, should be a smoother rollout as it has been the planned date/time for a while.
:twisted: In order to save money, you must spend money. :twisted: