PC & Video Games

Official Xbox Series S/X Thread - November 10 Release ($379/$599)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 24th, 2020 8:00 pm
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
18200 posts
8056 upvotes
Oakville
XFactor11 wrote: Wouldn't that cell phone style financing plan for XBox Series X put EB Games and its USA GameStop stores even more into the red?
With people that fail to make payments or if EB/GameStop goes out of business in that 2-year financing plan timeframe,
I wonder if the people on the payment plan would get out of their contractual obligation because there would be nobody to enforce it.

Michael Pachter's suggestion about the subscription plan, and services model years ago came true. He is a financial analyst/advisor that made
appearances on GameTrailers years ago and he would bring up envisioning a phone plan type model for financing consoles quite often:
https://www.polygon.com/2020/4/1/211973 ... r-analysis
In the US, I believe Citibank is the one doing the financing now. You're basically just setting up a line of credit, and Microsoft/retailers are acting as a middle man between you and the finance company.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4395 posts
1357 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote: I don't know if they would do the financing themselves or just act as an intermediary for a third party doing it. EBGames is kinda hosed to be honest. They will limp along another few years thanks to new consoles but they're also speeding up their own demise by selling the PS5 Digital Edition and the Xbox Series S.
I heard on a podcast that (at least in the states) the company that's taking on the financing of the Xbox All Access is the same company that does it for Apple's iPhone financing plans, Citizens One. I'd imagine it's similar here in Canada...

That said, the future is looking bleak for EB and I guess right now they've just got to play along with whatever bones are thrown their way until they can figure out a way to become relevant in the face of impending digital game sales... They're where HMV was when those stores started selling all sorts of music and movie-related crap in their locations...
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2016
1424 posts
619 upvotes
BC
not sure if discussed already but what are your thoughts coming from xbox one x...is the series S an upgrade or downgrade? I have a couple of years of GPU left...
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2011
2035 posts
2621 upvotes
Windsor
gundamwingZero wrote: not sure if discussed already but what are your thoughts coming from xbox one x...is the series S an upgrade or downgrade? I have a couple of years of GPU left...
Other than resolutions and no disk, everything else is an upgrade. Framerates, loading time, size, ray tracing, DLSS 2.0, etc.
Mar 20, 2009
462 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto
I wish MS released a digital only XSX.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2409 posts
2547 upvotes
GTA
jsadams wrote: I wish MS released a digital only XSX.
Well there is always revision 2 and 3 and 4 of a console. TBH digital only is a double-edged sword, it allows publishers to save money by avoiding shipping, disc making, packaging, but the promise years ago of digital sales pass savings onto consumers... maybe not so much.
Also as much as EB sucks, it does allow a resale market to exist. Get rid of physical releases and you get rid of good sales and clearances, the possibility of trading, and archiving of old games. If they are all digital on a closed ecosystem, that makes it a bit more difficult to archive a piece of history.
c'mon get happy!
Nov 5, 2011
92 posts
47 upvotes
Do we know if it’s going to be possible to lock-in a trade-in price when preordering online, at EBgames or other? Or will trade-in need to be done after the consoles are released? I don’t want to trade-in my One X before I get the new console...
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2409 posts
2547 upvotes
GTA
reptile wrote: Do we know if it’s going to be possible to lock-in a trade-in price when preordering online, at EBgames or other? Or will trade-in need to be done after the consoles are released? I don’t want to trade-in my One X before I get the new console...
I read in the PS5 preorder discussion that EB will allow you to trade in with them only if you have secured a preorder with them. If you did then you can come in at any time to trade your console in.

But some caveats:
-This was for PS5
-This was said to people who went in-store
-Apparently EB has the currently listed console TIV's until October (15th I think?) so after that, the values could potentially change
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
May 24, 2007
1117 posts
686 upvotes
London, ON
Digital Foundry: This is how Xbox Series S backwards compatibility really works

Corrections from previous news:
  • Many Original & XB1X-enhanced 360 titles will render at 1440p on XSS
  • Certain XB1 titles will run at double frame rate
    • MS tools trying to help make developer updates very easy
    • If no dev update, still possible via compatibility layer (MS doing the work, like XB1X enhancements)
  • "the Series S GPU runs the Xbox One S games with better performance than the Xbox One X." i.e. It's probably a memory issue with XB1X enhancements not automatically carrying forward to XSS.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8542 posts
2938 upvotes
Windows Central has a 3D comparison of the console sizes which you can move around with your mouse here:

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-ser ... comparison

Who actually puts their consoles vertically?

I use TV stands with open space all around and lay the consoles down flat horizontally like a normal electronic device instead of a desktop tower.
For my active secondary consoles I have them next to my desktop pc on a large PC desk.
Even with the stands to hold the consoles vertically, I would be warry of knocking them over.

Except it seems both Xbox Series X and PS5 vent out the air to the right side when laying down flat horizontally
So maybe I would have to put them on separate shelves depending on the intensity of the air outflow.

Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4512 posts
1648 upvotes
Ajax
mymuro wrote: Image

Hope their measurements are bag on. At this point, PS5 fits my entertainment unit but the Series X will be close with that 6 inches.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
6427 posts
4416 upvotes
XFactor11 wrote: Windows Central has a 3D comparison of the console sizes which you can move around with your mouse here:

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-ser ... comparison

Who actually puts their consoles vertically?

I use TV stands with open space all around and lay the consoles down flat horizontally like a normal electronic device instead of a desktop tower.
For my active secondary consoles I have them next to my desktop pc on a large PC desk.
Even with the stands to hold the consoles vertically, I would be warry of knocking them over.

Except it seems both Xbox Series X and PS5 vent out the air to the right side when laying down flat horizontally
So maybe I would have to put them on separate shelves depending on the intensity of the air outflow.

I have a IKEA Besta stand (three openings) and the Series X is not going to fit inside the slot so I'll be placing it on top. I actually had to cut out the back more to allow for more ventilation for the X1X.

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/images/produ ... JPG?f=xxxl