PC & Video Games

Official Xbox Series S/X Thread - November 10 Release ($379/$599)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 10:10 am
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25986 posts
10378 upvotes
And still the 800 pound Gorilla in the room...how much is this going to cost? Seems no one is asking that question. MS is playing a game with Sony to see how long they can go without answering, so the other company has to give up a price before they find out what the other company is selling theirs for. And so it goes...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
DougO wrote: And still the 800 pound Gorilla in the room...how much is this going to cost? Seems no one is asking that question. MS is playing a game with Sony to see how long they can go without answering, so the other company has to give up a price before they find out what the other company is selling theirs for. And so it goes...
People are asking it but neither Sony or MS is willing to divulge because there's just no need to do so right now, especially given the economic climate and the uncertainty. If the consoles do get delayed and there are supply chain issues that make production more expensive, they would not want to paint themselves into a corner with a price that doesn't make sense.

Everyone just needs to chill and figure that it'll likely be in the $550-700 USD range to make sense for consumers. If that's too expensive then maybe rethink whether you want to be an early adopter. If it ends up even more expensive than that, then is it even worth it right now?
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25986 posts
10378 upvotes
M1GOmigs wrote: People are asking it but neither Sony or MS is willing to divulge because there's just no need to do so right now, especially given the economic climate and the uncertainty. If the consoles do get delayed and there are supply chain issues that make production more expensive, they would not want to paint themselves into a corner with a price that doesn't make sense.

Everyone just needs to chill and figure that it'll likely be in the $550-700 USD range to make sense for consumers. If that's too expensive then maybe rethink whether you want to be an early adopter. If it ends up even more expensive than that, then is it even worth it right now?
Neither one wants to say so the other company can undercut the price. Last video blog from Phil Spencer seems to indicate the unit will be out when it's supposed to be. Didn't factories in China reopen recently? Info seems to be sketchy at the moment...
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1670 posts
719 upvotes
DougO wrote: Neither one wants to say so the other company can undercut the price. Last video blog from Phil Spencer seems to indicate the unit will be out when it's supposed to be. Didn't factories in China reopen recently? Info seems to be sketchy at the moment...
This isn't a Sony vs Microsoft thing. It's them versus the economy. Unless you've been living under a rock, people are losing their jobs. We don' t know what the economy will be like tomorrow let alone months from now. The world will be shutdown for months until a vaccine is created and sufficient number of people develop an immunity to this virus. I think more people will concerned with being able to put food on their table before thinking about buying a luxury console. The worst thing these next gen consoles could do is price themselves completely out of the market. Overpricing their console very nearly bankrupt Sony with a PS3 and the world wasn't suffering from a pandemic or an economic depression like it is now.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11822 posts
5908 upvotes
In Canada, we are just in the 3rd week now.
China and the outbreak source Wuhan already reopened after two months of extreme lockdown.

Unfortunately, China owns a lot of the Fortune 500 Companies in some way or another via takeover.
Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, and other major companies will not pull their manufacturing out of China unfortunately despite how poorly they
handled the outbreak.
Bryson wrote: This isn't a Sony vs Microsoft thing. It's them versus the economy. Unless you've been living under a rock, people are losing their jobs. We don' t know what the economy will be like tomorrow let alone months from now. The world will be shutdown for months until a vaccine is created and sufficient number of people develop an immunity to this virus. I think more people will concerned with being able to put food on their table before thinking about buying a luxury console. The worst thing these next gen consoles could do is price themselves completely out of the market. Overpricing their console very nearly bankrupt Sony with a PS3 and the world wasn't suffering from a pandemic or an economic depression like it is now.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6673 posts
2688 upvotes
calgary
9394 wrote:
Apparently this is third party games only and first party stuff will be shown this summer.

Honestly Im more excited to see what first party is doing than anything else. I want to see the new Halo more than anything right now and Im dying to see what Playground games and The Initiative (who poached a number of high ranking team members from Naughty Dog and Sony Santa Monica) are working on.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
Looking forward to Halo as well and the releases for Halo MCC on PC so far have been excellent. Halo 2 anniversary in particular is amazing and I'm really enjoying Halo again after being away from it since the end of the 360 era. They're taking the PC releases very seriously and treating it with care so I can't wait to see what Infinite built from the ground up for PC will look and play like
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4864 posts
1865 upvotes
Ajax
SpicYMchaggis wrote: Apparently this is third party games only and first party stuff will be shown this summer.

Honestly Im more excited to see what first party is doing than anything else. I want to see the new Halo more than anything right now and Im dying to see what Playground games and The Initiative (who poached a number of high ranking team members from Naughty Dog and Sony Santa Monica) are working on.
At least they are showing something! They have to keep the first party stuff for June and beyond. Sony is apparently doing something on June 5th. Let's see!
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
The console looks like it'll be amazing. I hope with the increased focus on 1st party games, they start to make games in other genres. Would love to see some 3rd party action/adventure/rpg singe player type games. Something that seems to do ok at, but Microsoft hasn't done since Fable.
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
zod wrote: The console looks like it'll be amazing. I hope with the increased focus on 1st party games, they start to make games in other genres. Would love to see some 3rd party action/adventure/rpg singe player type games. Something that seems to do ok at, but Microsoft hasn't done since Fable.
This is definitely where they're weak and where I want them to show more coverage. I get that FPS sells consoles but its the niche stuff that rounds out the library. They need some partnerships in Japanese games and RPGs in particular.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote: This is definitely where they're weak and where I want them to show more coverage. I get that FPS sells consoles but its the niche stuff that rounds out the library. They need some partnerships in Japanese games and RPGs in particular.
I think MS has conceded on first party Japanese games, and the final nail in the coffin was Scalebound... it's just not their niche, and hardcore JRPG people aren't even looking at XBox, so why force the issue? The times they tried to weren't huge hits for them (iirc Blue Dragon, Lost Oddysey), and the XBox brand doesn't really sell that well in Japan anyway...

People are so focused on those failures but ignoring that they'll be throwing their money into Western RPGs with the next Fable and their acquisitions of Obsidian and InXile. Plus Gears tactics looks like a promising deviation from what they've done with that franchise, so they're definitely open to trying new things with their franchises.

Let's all look forward with open minds. MS definitely knows they screwed up by not diversifying smartly, but I'm excited to see what the next gen can bring
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote: I think they've been doing better with third party stuff behind the scenes, we've seen a lot of older/quasi-new Japanese stuff being brought over to Xbox in the past few years. I don't need much, just one or two JRPGs! :)
Third party is a different matter, but even there the Xbox is at a disadvantage, as some Japanese devs don't even bother with Xbox either (ie Atlus with their Persona series). What I can see is more Japanese-style beat em ups like Devil May Cry and Bayonetta, and their acquisition of Ninja Theory hopefully helps there.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
I hope MS keeps up the "enhancing" old games for the new hardware thing.

I bought my Xbox One X on boxing day as I needed a new permanent optical based media player for the living room. It also came with the new star wars game I would of purchase anyways.

The thing I didn't expect was the Xbox One X enhanced thing. I went back and played Red Dead Redemption and it look pretty amazing. After ranting about how much I wish MS made more exclusives like Fable, I went back to see if Fable was xbox one x enhanced, and it was. Looks pretty good considering its age.

I wish Sony would do this. A big thing they did during this gen was "remastered" ps3 games but you had to rebuy them. It was a good revenue ad for them. Being able to go back and play games I already bought digitally on my 360 back in the day, and play sort of remastered versions for no extra cost. Pretty awesome. Backwards compatibility is one thing. Enhancing the old games, that's awesome.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2015
1880 posts
1820 upvotes
Maple leafs
DougO wrote: And still the 800 pound Gorilla in the room...how much is this going to cost? Seems no one is asking that question. MS is playing a game with Sony to see how long they can go without answering, so the other company has to give up a price before they find out what the other company is selling theirs for. And so it goes...
I can totally see the Series X being $800 cnd at launch due to the more expensive hardware and the crappy cnd dollar exchange rate
Deal Guru
Jul 5, 2001
10109 posts
12727 upvotes
Toronto
U4LIFE wrote: I can totally see the Series X being $800 cnd at launch due to the more expensive hardware and the crappy cnd dollar exchange rate
Well, I have a $350 gift card @ Best Buy...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6673 posts
2688 upvotes
calgary
9394 wrote: Well, I have a $350 gift card @ Best Buy...
Hopefully EB games is around because I have like 3 consoles I can trade in lol.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4864 posts
1865 upvotes
Ajax
9394 wrote:
Well that was not all that interesting. Cinematic trailers don't really tell the picture. That first game with the DeLorean, isn't that out already on Steam? Someone said it looks and plays nowhere near what they showed. Even Madden 21 did not really show us anything. Guess all those titles shown today will be on PS5 as well. Onto July then to see what first parties have to offer.
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
I liked the variety I saw once I read up on what each game is going to be. Scorn looks straight out of Aliens with those HR Giger vibes and that isn't a bad thing. Second Extinction sounds like L4D meets dinos. Scarlet Nexus could be interesting, I generally like Namco-Bandai stuff but its hard to tell based on what little gameplay I saw.

Anyways very encouraging so far.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)