Offset umbrella suggestion

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 20th, 2021 7:03 am
[OP]
Apr 10, 2013
293 posts
37 upvotes

Offset umbrella suggestion

Looking for an offset umbrella for the backyard / stone patio area for some coverage from the sun.
  • Suggestion on what type / material to look for specifically?
  • Price range since to be $500-700 ish? Our IKEA one seems to be ~$300?
  • Other than typical HomeDepot, CT, IKEA, etc - any other suggestion to look at?
5 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17064 posts
14442 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Might want to look @ Costco too

Or Wayfair
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5592 posts
584 upvotes
Toronto
I would go for aluminum... I bought 2... 1 first cause of clearance... from the bay and the 2nd because it was clearance from home depot but was aluminum and better quality (a bit larger then i kind of wanted, but still great.

https://www.lowes.ca/product/10-ft-squa ... lue-808562 ( got it for ~140) and the other from the bay for around 50 if I remember correctly. Bay is only 8ft but steel... I was afraid of rust.. Only took it out once or twice (a week or 2 later I got the lowes one.

Upon researching the fabric matters too something about sun damage i believe. It's been a while so don't remember much.

Only thing I wish this had was tilting to the side. I believe some do have that much are pricier.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2009
1657 posts
317 upvotes
super store has some, we have had ours for the last 5 years and still works fine.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14926 posts
9332 upvotes
Toronto
RFDMadeMeBuyStuff wrote: Looking for an offset umbrella for the backyard / stone patio area for some coverage from the sun.
  • Suggestion on what type / material to look for specifically?
  • Price range since to be $500-700 ish? Our IKEA one seems to be ~$300?
  • Other than typical HomeDepot, CT, IKEA, etc - any other suggestion to look at?
Got one from wayfair last year, it's huge, 10fter. The base is just a cross with holes that you can put pikes into to secure it to the ground. I put a 4x4 patio stone on it. I paid $177 after tax.
Images
  • Capture1.JPG
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2008
1454 posts
716 upvotes
We got a cantilever 10ft umbrella from Lowe's two years ago, on sale for $130ish. Price that I haven't seen since.

I didn't want to have the ugly sand base or patio stone, so I bought a metal mounting base for concrete, dug a hole and poured a concrete base "plug" into the corner of my grass patch. Screwed the umbrella into the metal base encased in concrete.

The base is at grass level so you can't really see it and because of the physics of it (weight + depth), works better than sand base/patio stone.

It wasn't a ton of work and it looks/works way better. The only downside is that I cannot move the umbrella, but not a big deal with our setup.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world... Those who understand binary and those who don't 💡