Personal Finance

Locked: OHIP card question ? Will they know I was travelling abroad ? 3 month waiting period question

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 2nd, 2017 2:34 pm
[OP]
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
49 posts
12 upvotes

OHIP card question ? Will they know I was travelling abroad ? 3 month waiting period question

I left Canada on February 1, 2017 . The whole year I have been physically out of Canada, except for January, 2017.

I will be coming back in Januray, 2018. My OHIP card is still valid for another 3 years or so, its not expired or anything.

If you leave the province of ON for a long time, and then come back, you have to inform OHIP and there is a 3 month waiting period before your health coverage becomes active again.

Will OHIP find out, that I was abroad ? My OHIP card wasn't scanned or anything at the airport, when I left. Only my Canadian passport was.

Does CBSA or anyone informs OHIP automatically when you leave Canada ? I don't think their data bases are connected for privacy reasons.

What if I immediately visit a doctor on my return to Canada, and he swipes my OHIP, will the data base tell him, I was abroad for the past 11 months, hence I have to wait 3 months before my OHIP becomes active again.
Down Votes are always welcome. They mean as much to me as FB likes..LOL
Share:
10 replies
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
2923 posts
2684 upvotes
Montreal
http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada/can ... -1.2947418

"...will also serve to keep tabs on snowbirds wintering in the U.S. to determine their legal residence, monitor the residency of people attempting to dodge taxes, and stop people from illegally collecting millions of dollars in government employment benefits while out of the country. The Canada Revenue Agency and Employment and Social Development Canada expect to save between $194 million and $319 million over five years once system is fully in place.
..."
Penalty Box
Jul 11, 2008
4368 posts
1494 upvotes
Away from RFD idiots
? I didnt know this.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
7149 posts
1814 upvotes
Toronto
FrancisBacon wrote: http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada/can ... -1.2947418

"...will also serve to keep tabs on snowbirds wintering in the U.S. to determine their legal residence, monitor the residency of people attempting to dodge taxes, and stop people from illegally collecting millions of dollars in government employment benefits while out of the country. The Canada Revenue Agency and Employment and Social Development Canada expect to save between $194 million and $319 million over five years once system is fully in place.
..."
I went back home for almost 18 months, 6 years back, I come back when my OHIP card is almost expiring, the day after I landed. No questions asked at all. But I admitting this is a YMMV situation. Unlike when you are in EI, you will received a letter more or less 6 months after you come back and asking you to pay back if you got paid the duration you are outside the country.
[OP]
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
49 posts
12 upvotes
mathiewannabe wrote: ? I didnt know this.
Forget out of Canada. Even within Canada if you go and sit in some other province besides ON for some time, I believe its 5 months or something ( not sure the exact days ) , you have to wait for 3 months, when you come back to ON, before they let you use your OHIP.

New immigrants to ON also have the 90 day waiting period, when they arrive here for the first time.
Down Votes are always welcome. They mean as much to me as FB likes..LOL
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4021 posts
1918 upvotes
Toronto
amitpandit wrote: I left Canada on February 1, 2017 . The whole year I have been physically out of Canada, except for January, 2017.

I will be coming back in Januray, 2018. My OHIP card is still valid for another 3 years or so, its not expired or anything.

If you leave the province of ON for a long time, and then come back, you have to inform OHIP and there is a 3 month waiting period before your health coverage becomes active again.

Will OHIP find out, that I was abroad ? My OHIP card wasn't scanned or anything at the airport, when I left. Only my Canadian passport was.

Does CBSA or anyone informs OHIP automatically when you leave Canada ? I don't think their data bases are connected for privacy reasons.

What if I immediately visit a doctor on my return to Canada, and he swipes my OHIP, will the data base tell him, I was abroad for the past 11 months, hence I have to wait 3 months before my OHIP becomes active again.
You are basically asking advice on if you will be caught committing what you very well know is healthcare fraud.

If OHIP doesn't catch you were out of the country right away, then there would probably be no flag or anything if you used a doctor, hospital, etc during the first 3 months. However OHIP can do re-assessments of your healthcare claims and eligibility at any time, so if they receive any info from any other Canadian agency that you were in fact out of the country they could charge you later with healthcare fraud and demand you pay back the full cost of services used when you weren't eligible, plus any additional fees/fines that may be involved.
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2006
3153 posts
211 upvotes
amitpandit wrote: I left Canada on February 1, 2017 . The whole year I have been physically out of Canada, except for January, 2017.

In Canada you are supposed to inform them. OHIP of long absence. I think the limit is like 5 to 7 months. I am not sure but check their site.
I have heard this before. People in US also come here before OHIP renewal.
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4339 posts
3625 upvotes
Oakville, ON
FrancisBacon wrote: http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada/can ... -1.2947418

..."
This is a federal program. OHIP is provincial. I haven’t read or seen anything about the feds sharing data with the provinces, and nothing in the article refers to saving money on provincial health plans. Not sure that this will apply to OP for OHIP.
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2006
3153 posts
211 upvotes
rob444 wrote: You are basically asking advice on if you will be caught committing what you very well know is healthcare fraud.

Very common on RFD.
In Canada OHIP and CRA wont bother much. But once you are in their cross hairs you will be in trouble.
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2006
3153 posts
211 upvotes
That was fast.
amitpandit [OP]
Banned