Automotive

Oil Change

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 7th, 2015 11:47 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jr. Member
Dec 31, 2008
184 posts
4 upvotes
Oshawa

Oil Change

Hi,
I need an oil change done, and normally I have gone to Canadian Tire however have been warned by RFD's to not go there anymore so I'm not. I booked an appointment with Midas today as I had read some positive reviews about them online. When I called to the book the appointment (for tomorrow), the gentleman told me that it would be an hour. I was surprised as in the past it's usually less than that. He told me that they check fluids, filter, tire pressure, exhaust, brakes, etc. The cost is $36.95 plus a $5.00 disposal fee. The total is $47.35. I was looking at the forum just before typing this out and noticed that many were paying $20-$25 although it seems some bring their own oil and filter.
Ironically, I received a pamphlet with coupons for Midas today along with my mail, there is a coupon for $29 for a lube, oil and filter change which also includes a courtesy check. However, in the fine print it states: "Use of synthetic or other grades of oil extra. Plus shop fee of up to 10% based on non-discounted retail price, not to exceed $35.00, where permitted." I'm wondering if I could still use the coupon even though the cost that I was quoted for the oil change is $36.95 even though in the fine print it says that it cannot exceed $35.00.
I thought about going to Walmart or Costco but not sure if it would be the same. Maybe a local garage?
29 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22381 posts
3257 upvotes
Isabella36 wrote: Hi,
I need an oil change done, and normally I have gone to Canadian Tire however have been warned by RFD's to not go there anymore so I'm not. I booked an appointment with Midas today as I had read some positive reviews about them online. When I called to the book the appointment (for tomorrow), the gentleman told me that it would be an hour. I was surprised as in the past it's usually less than that. He told me that they check fluids, filter, tire pressure, exhaust, brakes, etc. The cost is $36.95 plus a $5.00 disposal fee. The total is $47.35. I was looking at the forum just before typing this out and noticed that many were paying $20-$25 although it seems some bring their own oil and filter.
Ironically, I received a pamphlet with coupons for Midas today along with my mail, there is a coupon for $29 for a lube, oil and filter change which also includes a courtesy check. However, in the fine print it states: "Use of synthetic or other grades of oil extra. Plus shop fee of up to 10% based on non-discounted retail price, not to exceed $35.00, where permitted." I'm wondering if I could still use the coupon even though the cost that I was quoted for the oil change is $36.95 even though in the fine print it says that it cannot exceed $35.00.
I thought about going to Walmart or Costco but not sure if it would be the same. Maybe a local garage?
Call and ask, only Midas can tell you.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4331 upvotes
Drop by a few independent mechanics and talk to them. If they're shady or you have a bad feeling then walk out.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Dec 31, 2008
184 posts
4 upvotes
Oshawa
Hi,
I called, and the man said that I can use it! That's good. :)
Sr. Member
Jul 9, 2014
703 posts
238 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Get it done by yourself. Very easy to do.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2628 posts
515 upvotes
Manitoba
cam1982 wrote: Get it done by yourself. Very easy to do.
Hmmm? Do you know if she ever held a wrench in her hand her whole life?
Sr. Member
Jul 9, 2014
703 posts
238 upvotes
Toronto, ON
sorry, I don't look at the gender. But I would avoid Midas, you can go to dealership, not much expensive comparing to other but time is longer. If you can go indy then much better
[OP]
Jr. Member
Dec 31, 2008
184 posts
4 upvotes
Oshawa
Asker123 wrote: Hmmm? Do you know if she ever held a wrench in her hand her whole life?
I would not attempt to do this on my own. However, I have held a wrench before, and used it! Just not on vehicles. ;)
Although, I know how to do a few simple things - check tire pressure, put air in tires, and check oil level. At least I know how to do these things.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 27, 2006
6216 posts
3094 upvotes
Cornwall PE
Isabella36 wrote: I would not attempt to do this on my own. However, I have held a wrench before, and used it! Just not on vehicles. ;)
Although, I know how to do a few simple things - check tire pressure, put air in tires, and check oil level. At least I know how to do these things.
Well can you turn a bolt and take a lid off a jar?
Ramps are good, crappy tire had a plastic pair for $30.
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
[OP]
Jr. Member
Dec 31, 2008
184 posts
4 upvotes
Oshawa
cam1982 wrote: sorry, I don't look at the gender. But I would avoid Midas, you can go to dealership, not much expensive comparing to other but time is longer. If you can go indy then much better
I called a dealership in my area, and the cost is $45, and he told me that it would be about 45 minutes.
I checked out a few other places but most of the reviews were negative. They basically said "to stay far away from this place" and "to not give them your service."
I'm surprised by how bad some of these places seem to be. You would think that they would want to promote themselves in a better light, so that customers will return, and pass on a good word to their friends/family!
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
It is interesting to me that she said she always went to CT to get the oil change but that the forums have scared her off.
If CT has done a proper job till now, what the concern? Clearly the CT you go to is doing a competent job. Do you really think that a franchise like Midas does not suffer from the same shortcomings as CT does? Do you really think that a licensed mechanic is the one that does the oil change at Midas (or CT, or Penzoil or even a dealership)? You had a good thing going with the CT you have been patronizing and now you are going to someone and something you don't know because some of the folks n this forum have a hate n for CT . What happens if it goes wrong there? You will come back here to complain and the auto forum crowd will climb all over you telling you not to go there either. Then the crowd that tells you to do it yourself will bombard you as well (as they already attempted).
You should have stayed where you have gotten good service before, regardless who it was.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Dec 31, 2008
184 posts
4 upvotes
Oshawa
betamaxman wrote: Well can you turn a bolt and take a lid off a jar?
Ramps are good, crappy tire had a plastic pair for $30.
Yes, but this is new for me, and I have never done it before. I would rather leave it to a professional.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 6, 2010
9964 posts
1899 upvotes
Montreal, QC
If Canadian Tire has always been ok with you, why would you change? Is it the price?

Auto mechanics honestly is all about trust. Do you trust the garage working on your car? If yes, you stay...if not, you go.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Dec 31, 2008
184 posts
4 upvotes
Oshawa
Pete_Coach wrote: It is interesting to me that she said she always went to CT to get the oil change but that the forums have scared her off.
If CT has done a proper job till now, what the concern? Clearly the CT you go to is doing a competent job. Do you really think that a franchise like Midas does not suffer from the same shortcomings as CT does? Do you really think that a licensed mechanic is the one that does the oil change at Midas (or CT, or Penzoil or even a dealership)? You had a good thing going with the CT you have been patronizing and ow you are going to someone and something you don't know. What happens if it goes wrong there? You will come back here to complain and the auto forum crowd will climb all over you telling you not to go there either. Then the crowd that tells oyu to do it yourself will bombard you as well (as they already attempted).
You should have stayed where you have gotten good service before, regardless who it was.
I should have explained the bit about Canadian Tire. I posted a message on this forum before regarding my experience with Canadian Tire when I needed to get some other work done on my vehicle. The last time I went in to Canadian Tire for an oil change, they did not close the top of an oil container properly (under the hood) properly. Sorry, I don't know what it's called but I didn't realize this until later. All of the oil spilled everywhere, and made a mess. Another time, they didn't close or seal the area properly (underneath), and I noticed within a few days the oil was leaking on my driveway. My dad looked at it, and noticed that the cap was loose. I know mistakes happen, and it may have been an honest mistake but this was the second time that I had issues even though I decided to go back to them, and give them a second change. I would have gone back to Canadian Tire but after these two incidents, I was a bit weary returning there although I guess I could try another Canadian Tire as every mechanic is different.
I don't know who will be working on my vehicle tomorrow but I decided to try somewhere different this time around.
And I don't understand why you feel I am being patronizing. I was only asking for feedback on prices for oil change, and was inquiring about other places. I understand what you are saying with regards to sticking to something if it works, and not being scared off by people on this forum. I know that this is their opinion, and in the end, it's my decision. I have nothing against Canadian Tire. I shop there, and have used their service department before for my vehicle. However, as I have already stated, due to my last two experiences I decided to try elsewhere.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 15, 2011
5834 posts
1220 upvotes
aGincourt
Isabella36 wrote: Yes, but this is new for me, and I have never done it before. I would rather leave it to a professional.
Those professionals at midas make min wage
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2006
19318 posts
3006 upvotes
Woodbridge
If I had to pick between Candian Tire, Midas or Nissan I would pay the extra $10 and let Nissan change it.

Too bad you're in Oshawa, if you're ever in the area I would recommend iGarage in Markham or b-line mechanics in Mississauga.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
4030 upvotes
Toronto
cam1982 wrote: Get it done by yourself. Very easy to do.
says the guy who's never done it himself.
Sr. Member
Jul 9, 2014
703 posts
238 upvotes
Toronto, ON
daivey wrote: says the guy who's never done it himself.
Understandable, the guy is talking to himself.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 13, 2010
6560 posts
8321 upvotes
GTA
Isabella36 wrote: Hi,
I need an oil change done, and normally I have gone to Canadian Tire however have been warned by RFD's to not go there anymore so I'm not. I booked an appointment with Midas today as I had read some positive reviews about them online. When I called to the book the appointment (for tomorrow), the gentleman told me that it would be an hour. I was surprised as in the past it's usually less than that. He told me that they check fluids, filter, tire pressure, exhaust, brakes, etc. The cost is $36.95 plus a $5.00 disposal fee. The total is $47.35. I was looking at the forum just before typing this out and noticed that many were paying $20-$25 although it seems some bring their own oil and filter.
Ironically, I received a pamphlet with coupons for Midas today along with my mail, there is a coupon for $29 for a lube, oil and filter change which also includes a courtesy check. However, in the fine print it states: "Use of synthetic or other grades of oil extra. Plus shop fee of up to 10% based on non-discounted retail price, not to exceed $35.00, where permitted." I'm wondering if I could still use the coupon even though the cost that I was quoted for the oil change is $36.95 even though in the fine print it says that it cannot exceed $35.00.
I thought about going to Walmart or Costco but not sure if it would be the same. Maybe a local garage?
Walmart doesn't have a garage anymore, they are all Mr. Lube now. I'm fairly sure around here Costco doesn't do oil changes.

Top