Automotive

Oil Change / Air & Cabin Filters changed but ...

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2018 7:59 pm
[OP]
Newbie
User avatar
Dec 2, 2017
90 posts
37 upvotes
Nerd Town

Oil Change / Air & Cabin Filters changed but ...

Okay, so I drive a 2012 Honda Civic, had the oil, air & cabin filters changed.

Every now & then since this was done a few weeks back, I get what I describe to hubby as a "hot" smell in the car, maybe exhaust, burning oil (or rubber), it lasts for a few seconds and then disappears.

Any suggestions on what might be causing this? Both hubby & I are generally held to the mercy of mechanics. To me, it seems like it may be oil dripped on the motor but I'm really just guessing.
Strong-willed & Opinionated Woman. Early adopter of technology & first generation geek.
12 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 9, 2007
13859 posts
8908 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
My suspicion....A leak at the filter from an out of place gasket.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1419 posts
469 upvotes
Ottawa
brookgirl wrote: To me, it seems like it may be oil dripped on the motor but I'm really just guessing.
Yeah that's pretty common when changing the oil filter. They are supposed to wipe it down after but I guess in your case they didn't. As long as there isn't any drip on the floor I wont worry too much.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35533 posts
21588 upvotes
Center of Universe
Don't worry too much.
Sr. Member
Oct 4, 2010
586 posts
253 upvotes
Surrey
Just hose down underneath your car with a garden hose
Penalty Box
User avatar
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1329 upvotes
If you still smelling burning oil after several week since you change it. I recommend you check your oil level to see if there is any drop.
As per your car's manufacturing warranty you're suppose to check your oil level at every gas fill up and have it logged if you want the warranty to still be valid, but since your car is 2012 the warranty period has already expired.
Penalty Box
User avatar
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1329 upvotes
Cheapo-Findo wrote: My suspicion....A leak at the filter from an out of place gasket.
Experienced it many times from dealership oil changes, they forgot to tighten the oil pan bolt or they were too lazy to change the new washer that comes with a dealership oil filter in most cases doesn't matter and won't leak.
Knew someone with a 6 month old Suzuki Vitara whose engine seized after a dealership oil change because it all leaked out. When she confronted the dealership about it they fought tooth with nails saying did she check the motor oil level at every gas fill up and have it logged somewhere ? In the end she took it up to Suzuki Canada and kept on pestering them and won, the dealership had to replace it with a new engine.
Last edited by EdT586 on Jan 2nd, 2018 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4578 upvotes
Alberta
It's just oil being burned off the engine or exhaust. As mentioned before, you could hose off the underside at the car wash. Hopefully you changed the air and cabin air filters yourself. My Honda dealer charges $99 for the cabin air filter change alone. It's a 3 minute job to do the cabin air filter yourself and the air filter is 5 mins.
Penalty Box
User avatar
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1329 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote: It's just oil being burned off the engine or exhaust. As mentioned before, you could hose off the underside at the car wash. Hopefully you changed the air and cabin air filters yourself. My Honda dealer charges $99 for the cabin air filter change alone. It's a 3 minute job to do the cabin air filter yourself and the air filter is 5 mins.
She mentioned its been going for several weeks, motor oil on hot exhaust would have been burnt off by now.
Dealership favorite part to replace, they take out a dirty cabin filter and show it to a soccer mom and make $85+ in 5 minutes ! ...LoL
A charcoal cabin filter cost less than $10 and non charcoal filters cost even less.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
11975 posts
8651 upvotes
GTA, ON
EdT586 wrote: She mentioned its been going for several weeks, motor oil on hot exhaust would have been burnt off by now.
Dealership favorite part to replace, they take out a dirty cabin filter and show it to a soccer mom and make $85+ in 5 minutes ! ...LoL
A charcoal cabin filter cost less than $10 and non charcoal filters cost even less.
Yup... asked my Stealership the cost of the cabin air filter and this was their response:
The price for the cabin filter without installation is $ 25.00 plus taxes.
The price with installation for a cabin air filter $74.95 plus taxes.
Haha.... Yeah... okay. Bought aftermarket one off Amazon for much less and installed myself. Also, the cost of the filter will depend on the make/model. If I could find one for around $10 I'd be pretty happy.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Penalty Box
User avatar
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1329 upvotes
chimaican wrote: Haha.... Yeah... okay. Bought aftermarket one off Amazon for much less and installed myself. Also, the cost of the filter will depend on the make/model. If I could find one for around $10 I'd be pretty happy.
If I find TYC cabin filter for under $10 which I do I'll be pretty happy too !
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
11975 posts
8651 upvotes
GTA, ON
EdT586 wrote: If I find TYC cabin filter for under $10 which I do I'll be pretty happy too !
Unfortunately the cheapest I can find is $17.64 (TYC) for my vehicle. Still, it's cheaper than Fram or OEM.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Penalty Box
User avatar
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1329 upvotes
chimaican wrote: Unfortunately the cheapest I can find is $17.64 (TYC) for my vehicle. Still, it's cheaper than Fram or OEM.
Depends on the model of the car. For Hyundai's TYC filters usually cost $4-$6usd which the dealerships charge $25-$30 for.

Top