• Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2021 10:23 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1053 posts
827 upvotes

oil change interval for all city driving

do you see any incentive in going 4month oil change interval vs. 6 month? Vehicle in question is a 2017 RX350 with approx. 50k km. I'm only driving around 1200km a month but it's 90% city, with quite a bit of stop and go on the DVP during the wrong times of the day.
31 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19475 posts
22616 upvotes
GTA
Jigsaw wrote: do you see any incentive in going 4month oil change interval vs. 6 month? Vehicle in question is a 2017 RX350 with approx. 50k km. I'm only driving around 1200km a month but it's 90% city, with quite a bit of stop and go on the DVP during the wrong times of the day.
No, just follow Lexus recommendation. Traffic isn't really bad for the engine unless you're driving really badly. Try not gas/brake too much, that will save you gas and your brakes will last longer. If you drive behind a semi they're pretty good at that. They can also see farther so they know what lane to be in.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Feb 8, 2010
583 posts
476 upvotes
Jigsaw wrote: do you see any incentive in going 4month oil change interval vs. 6 month? Vehicle in question is a 2017 RX350 with approx. 50k km. I'm only driving around 1200km a month but it's 90% city, with quite a bit of stop and go on the DVP during the wrong times of the day.
Only way to be sure is to get your oil tested. It costs about $35 per test. You collect some samples and then ship it to the lab.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7181 posts
9153 upvotes
The NORTH
engineered wrote: No, just follow Lexus recommendation. Traffic isn't really bad for the engine unless you're driving really badly. Try not gas/brake too much, that will save you gas and your brakes will last longer. If you drive behind a semi they're pretty good at that. They can also see farther so they know what lane to be in.
Great recommendations.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2083 upvotes
Markham
Read your owner's manual.....
Sep 8, 2012
179 posts
218 upvotes
Toronto
If you're on synthetic oil then 6 months shouldn't be an issue, I think doing an oil change every 4 months would be overkill and a bit wasteful (expense & environmentally). With your city driving, is it still for a decent amount of time? I.e. quick 5-15 minute drives with 1+ hour between will be worse on your oil as the engine really won't get up to operating temperature to burn off condensation while a 30 minute drive, even with stop & go traffic is not going to be awful.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4627 posts
4880 upvotes
GTA
Does Toyota not account for this already?

Traditional maintenance schedules have "normal" and "severe" categories. City driving usually falls under severe.

And newer maintenance systems where it's built into the instrument panel / computer determine your maintenance items and intervals based on the type of driving you do.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 2, 2001
5047 posts
2742 upvotes
GTA
BDSL wrote: Read your owner's manual.....
And dont listen to the dealer, they would want you there every month.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13110 posts
4710 upvotes
Ontario
From what I quickly looked up it says to change the oil every 16,000km OR 1 year. So you doing it every 4 months is not needed. I would maybe not wait until 16,000km because in my opinion its to long but i would do it every 8,00km or 10,000km (that's usually what I do on my car) For people who drive even less i would do it at least once a year.

So save your money you can get it done less often just dont push it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 2, 2001
5047 posts
2742 upvotes
GTA
Btw does the car have an oil life monitor? Follow it, it knows how long you're driving for every time and makes adjustment to your oil life. Also try to record how many kilometers you've driven before it gets down to 0%. If you're mostly city maybe when it'll get down to 0% you've driven 12000km, while when doing mostly highway it'll be 16000km at 0%.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7181 posts
9153 upvotes
The NORTH
shabby wrote: Btw does the car have an oil life monitor? Follow it, it knows how long you're driving for every time and makes adjustment to your oil life. Also try to record how many kilometers you've driven before it gets down to 0%. If you're mostly city maybe when it'll get down to 0% you've driven 12000km, while when doing mostly highway it'll be 16000km at 0%.
Mine gives me the percent and the KM driven since last change. Maybe OP's car does as well.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
3147 posts
2554 upvotes
My truck had the oil life monitor. Dealer tried to tell me I had to get the oil changed every 8000km or my warranty was void. I asked them for it in writing so I could confirm with Ford Canada. They quickly backtracked. It's a shame that consumers have to be armed with this information so as to not be ripped off.
Mar 31, 2011
447 posts
412 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
derass wrote: Does Toyota not account for this already?

Traditional maintenance schedules have "normal" and "severe" categories. City driving usually falls under severe.

And newer maintenance systems where it's built into the instrument panel / computer determine your maintenance items and intervals based on the type of driving you do.
+1 for following "severe" intervals as listed in your owner's manual.
Buying things you don't need is what RFD is all about.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1969 posts
2267 upvotes
Jigsaw wrote: I'm only driving around 1200km a month but it's 90% city, with quite a bit of stop and go on the DVP during the wrong times of the day.
If your concerned about slow speed driving, use your trip odometer and monitor the hours.

Use 200 hours as an oil change interval along with the recommended time and mileage, which ever comes first.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2005
8239 posts
900 upvotes
Brampton
If that concerned about oil change frequency then just cut the mileage to half of what the recommended interval is. Someone mentioned 16k/1year. Just do every 8k/1year. Whichever comes first. Then follow all other things by the manufacture mileage interval.

Easy way to remember while doing twice as many oil changes.

Most correct way would be to send the used oil after about 8k to a lab to see if it’s still good but for simplicity I would still just cut the oil change interval in half while keeping the rest of the maintenance items the same.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33251 posts
15103 upvotes
tim-x wrote: My truck had the oil life monitor. Dealer tried to tell me I had to get the oil changed every 8000km or my warranty was void. I asked them for it in writing so I could confirm with Ford Canada. They quickly backtracked. It's a shame that consumers have to be armed with this information so as to not be ripped off.
Typical stealer scam, has been going on a long time. Basically since GM started having OLMs in the majority of their lineup, which happened in the late 90s/early 00s. Sure many companies had fixed mileage "service indicators" but an actual system to monitor engine operating and determine when oil should be changed, not so much. Typically speaking OLMs woud indicate oil changes (on what was a largely atmospheric fleet of engines at the time) around 12-15k kms; but, stealers would want you to change it much earlier :rolleyes:

That all said, changing your oil more frequently is actually not a bad idea these days. Today's engines, many of them are turbocharged for starters; after that there's many oil/hydraulic-driven systems in an engine these days like VVT, cylinder deactivation, etc. Plus with DI, running oil for longer intervals will only worsen (speed up) intake deposit formation.

We have to keep in mind the motives of manufacturers have changed somewhat. Thin oils are spec'd for fuel economy (which nets the carmaker savings with US CAFE, for example), while advertising long interval/low-maintenance schedules to the consumer makes them more competitive and more attractive to new car buyers. They don't give a crap should the car have problems after the warranty is over so some of these things are just designed to put short-term smiles on people's faces/make people select their vehicle due to lower maintenance, etc. all while really not doing anything for longevity. I mean from the carmakers perspective it's better to have them buying a new car in 5 years than continuing to drive the same one for 15.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1555 posts
813 upvotes
City driving is not an issue as long as the car gets upto temp and stays there. Id be worried of you only drove 5km at a time.
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recognize me.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
3147 posts
2554 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: Typical stealer scam, has been going on a long time. Basically since GM started having OLMs in the majority of their lineup, which happened in the late 90s/early 00s. Sure many companies had fixed mileage "service indicators" but an actual system to monitor engine operating and determine when oil should be changed, not so much. Typically speaking OLMs woud indicate oil changes (on what was a largely atmospheric fleet of engines at the time) around 12-15k kms; but, stealers would want you to change it much earlier :rolleyes:

That all said, changing your oil more frequently is actually not a bad idea these days. Today's engines, many of them are turbocharged for starters; after that there's many oil/hydraulic-driven systems in an engine these days like VVT, cylinder deactivation, etc. Plus with DI, running oil for longer intervals will only worsen (speed up) intake deposit formation.

We have to keep in mind the motives of manufacturers have changed somewhat. Thin oils are spec'd for fuel economy (which nets the carmaker savings with US CAFE, for example), while advertising long interval/low-maintenance schedules to the consumer makes them more competitive and more attractive to new car buyers. They don't give a crap should the car have problems after the warranty is over so some of these things are just designed to put short-term smiles on people's faces/make people select their vehicle due to lower maintenance, etc. all while really not doing anything for longevity. I mean from the carmakers perspective it's better to have them buying a new car in 5 years than continuing to drive the same one for 15.
It's unfortunate because I think the majority of people don't even know that dealerships and the manufacturer are separate entities. They see the Toyota logo and they just assume "Toyota" and that the people inside are representatives of Toyota, so when they talk to them about their vehicle, they're speaking on behalf of those that made the vehicle.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
25260 posts
15010 upvotes
Toronto
I would change it every 16,000 km. Doing oil analysis is overkill. Might as well do an oil change instead. I would say pulling the dipstick and doing a visual check is sufficient to determine if the oil is too contaminated to last 16,000 km. Given the low mileage, I would say the oil change interval could be extended to 32,000 km without issue. If the engine had 300,000 km and there was known ring issues, I would be concerned that an oil change would not last 16,000 km regardless of city or highway miles.
Koodo $40/6GB
Public Mobile $40/15GB, lot less with rewards
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, EQ Bank, Simplii
Dec 4, 2017
495 posts
492 upvotes
Toronto
will888 wrote: I would change it every 16,000 km. Doing oil analysis is overkill. Might as well do an oil change instead. I would say pulling the dipstick and doing a visual check is sufficient to determine if the oil is too contaminated to last 16,000 km. Given the low mileage, I would say the oil change interval could be extended to 32,000 km without issue. If the engine had 300,000 km and there was known ring issues, I would be concerned that an oil change would not last 16,000 km regardless of city or highway miles.
Which car manufacturer recommends 32k km oil change intervals? Longest oil change intervals that I've seen are 20k or at least once annually.
If you plan to keep vehicle for a long time, I wouldn't risk $100-200 oil changes/maintenance for future potential oil sludging.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)