• Dec 1st, 2020 11:56 pm
[OP]
May 4, 2020
320 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto, On

oil filled heater - recall

Hi
I have Garrison Oil filled heater that I bought from Canadian Tire 7 years ago or more. I used it for few times. Now I wanted to use so I was searching the internet for the user manual and what I found that Health Canada recalled these heaters and my heater has exact date and model number that health Canada posted. Health Canada suggested to return the heater to Canadian tire for refund or exchange (see the link below please).

My question, I do not have the receipt anymore but I think Canadian tire is the exclusive seller otherwise Heath Canada wont suggest to return it to Canadian Tire. Would Canadian Tire accept to refund me, provided that I did not show up until now when the recall was almost 7 years ago and I do not have the receipt. The unit I have is in good condition and as I said I rarely used it.

Thanks you very much.

https://www.healthycanadians.gc.ca/reca ... 1r-eng.php
Last edited by lwlwlwlw on Nov 30th, 2020 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
5 replies
Nov 28, 2020
139 posts
129 upvotes
lwlwlwlw wrote: Hi
I have Garrison Oil filled heater that I bought from Canadian Tire 7 years ago or more. I used it for few times. Now I wanted to use so I was searching the internet for the user manual and what I found that Health Canada recalled these heaters and my heater has exact date and model number that health Canada posted. Health Canada suggested to return the heater to Canadian tire for refund or exchange (see the link below please).

My question, I do not have the receipt anymore but I think Canadian tire is the exclusive seller otherwise Heath Canada wont suggest to return it to Canadian Tire. Would Canadian Tire accept to refund me, provided that I did not show up until now when the recall was almost 7 years ago and I do not have the receipt. The unit I have is in good condition and as I said I rarely used it.

Also, do you know Canadian Tire is open now? I live in Toronto and heard the closing all not essential. Not sure about Canadian Tire. If you know please let me know.

Thanks you very much.

https://www.healthycanadians.gc.ca/reca ... 1r-eng.php
Pretty sure Canadian Tire is open. They and Home Depot/Lowe's were considered essential in the last lockdown due to stocking items required for repairing your home.
Mar 15, 2005
841 posts
757 upvotes
Thanks for posting op. I have this exact heater in the basement.

Just checked and it was manufactured in 2013 so thankfully in not affected
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9140 posts
2142 upvotes
You can return these items without a receipt provided that they are indeed being recalled. I returned the same heaters a couple of years ago but was given store credit. Perhaps if I had the official receipts they would've refunded me in cash.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
[OP]
May 4, 2020
320 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto, On
Frankie3s wrote: You can return these items without a receipt provided that they are indeed being recalled. I returned the same heaters a couple of years ago but was given store credit. Perhaps if I had the official receipts they would've refunded me in cash.
Thanks for you reply. I got a store credit to. But they refund me the average price which is around 45. The current price is 79. I really do not recall how much I bought it but I do not think it is that low. How much they refund you if I may ask?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9140 posts
2142 upvotes
lwlwlwlw wrote: Thanks for you reply. I got a store credit to. But they refund me the average price which is around 45. The current price is 79. I really do not recall how much I bought it but I do not think it is that low. How much they refund you if I may ask?
Thinking about it, they refunded me similar to what you had received. What they had done is given you the lowest sale price that they had sold this for since there was no receipt. I had owned this heater for about 3 to 5 years and used it a lot. I know I paid more than what I had received back but wasn't going to complain since I did use it for a while - It wouldn't have helped anyways. The better thing for Canadian Tire to do would be to offer to exchange it with another one but that wasn't an option unforunately.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!