Careers

Oil & gas (or Energy in general) jobs in Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2019 11:37 pm
Tags:
[OP]
May 14, 2019
9 posts
1 upvote

Oil & gas (or Energy in general) jobs in Canada?

Hi everyone, I apologize in advance for unnecessary spamming if such a topic already exists!

So, long story short - I received my Masters in Petroleum engineering at the end of last year and I am actively looking for jobs in the industry for the past month or two. I've heard good things about Canada being a prospective place to find such jobs, so I'm trying to find additional clues as to where would I be able to begin my job hunt in Canada. FYI, I'm not from Canada, I'm from the Balkans, but relocating (even permanently) would not be an issue at all.

Questions I'm mostly interested in:
Are there any companies in the oil & gas (or energy in general) industry that you might know of that are prone to hiring young people (apart from the natural-born Canadians)?
The language is not a problem for me at all (unless I end up in Quebec, eh), but what other qualifications might be required from me?

If any of you have any leads or just any relevant info at all, I would highly appreciate it. Thanks in advance! :)
10 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
2110 posts
522 upvotes
Alberta
Alberta is the main hub for O&G activity, so I'd reach out to APEGA (Alberta Engineering Association) to see what it'll take to get registered as an Engineer in Training.

From there, just use job boards or apply at company website.

Good luck though, it's pretty rough out there.
[OP]
May 14, 2019
9 posts
1 upvote
Thanks for the info!

Yeah, I know, but I feel like there's still more opportunities to be found in Canada and elsewhere as opposed to my native Balkans... Will check out those links for sure!
Jan 12, 2010
150 posts
36 upvotes
Try Saskachewan (husky) and Newfoundland for upstream activities - Irvine Oil.
Big refineries are in Burnaby, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burnaby_Refinery
Edmonton https://www.google.ca/search?source=hp& ... 6W716IxbT4
Montreal area refineries: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_o ... n_Montreal
Sarnia, Ontario refineriess https://www.google.ca/search?safe=activ ... 9OQZ6h4Lhk
Feb 15, 2018
441 posts
532 upvotes
Edmonton
The major problem is that you will be competing for entry level jobs with Canadian university grads from our local engineering programs. Employers will usually hire those ones first before any grads from overseas. Canada can be a place where overseas trained engineers end up driving taxi cabs.
Edmonton area Realtor
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1391 upvotes
canuckstorm wrote: The major problem is that you will be competing for entry level jobs with Canadian university grads from our local engineering programs. Employers will usually hire those ones first before any grads from overseas. Canada can be a place where overseas trained engineers end up driving taxi cabs.
2 out of 3 Canadian engineers can't find jobs in the field, and 1 in 3 can't even find a "professional" job that requires any post-secondary at all:

https://www.ospe.on.ca/public/documents ... market.pdf

Canada's a horrible place to try and find an engineering job. Even if you manage to beat the odds, your average salary will still be less than that of a police officer.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4302 posts
1606 upvotes
Edmonton
There are tons of jobs in oil and gas. It's busy busy busy here now.

I don't know about engineer but there are lots of trades jobs here. How about you hop on over to the dark side? The pay is much better and the job is too, also you don't have to be enslaved to your desk
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
8906 posts
7952 upvotes
Texas. Permian Basin.

It's booming way harder down there than Canada.

Alberta has been in a recession for 5 years now. Political issues with TMX and Bill 48/69 is suppressing our energy industry to a point that Calgary has the highest unemployment rate in Canada. It would be very hard for any companies in AB to justify hiring out of country when we have 8% unemployment rate (really it's probably closer to 15% since self employed people doesn't count).
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
6976 posts
6111 upvotes
Xtrema wrote: Texas. Permian Basin.

It's booming way harder down there than Canada.

Alberta has been in a recession for 5 years now. Political issues with TMX and Bill 48/69 is suppressing our energy industry to a point that Calgary has the highest unemployment rate in Canada. It would be very hard for any companies in AB to justify hiring out of country when we have 8% unemployment rate (really it's probably closer to 15% since self employed people doesn't count).
Alberta's issues aren't political its just not competitive in costs or product. High costs for oil sands, can't scale easily and a product nobody wants versus light sweet crude from much cheaper sources around the world especially fracking to the south. There's zero reason for any company to extract oil via oil sands when they can do it cheaper and faster with more flexibility in scaling operations with bonus of superior product . Oil sands only made sense a decade ago before fracking tech improved

The only political aspect is inability for Albertans to accept reality just like the coal towns in the states
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
6976 posts
6111 upvotes
nyznyz wrote: Hi everyone, I apologize in advance for unnecessary spamming if such a topic already exists!

So, long story short - I received my Masters in Petroleum engineering at the end of last year and I am actively looking for jobs in the industry for the past month or two. I've heard good things about Canada being a prospective place to find such jobs, so I'm trying to find additional clues as to where would I be able to begin my job hunt in Canada. FYI, I'm not from Canada, I'm from the Balkans, but relocating (even permanently) would not be an issue at all.

Questions I'm mostly interested in:
Are there any companies in the oil & gas (or energy in general) industry that you might know of that are prone to hiring young people (apart from the natural-born Canadians)?
The language is not a problem for me at all (unless I end up in Quebec, eh), but what other qualifications might be required from me?

If any of you have any leads or just any relevant info at all, I would highly appreciate it. Thanks in advance! :)
O&G is in decline here due to high costs and poor product so all the multinationals have left for better/cheaper places so not a good place to begin a career

Try the states who are booming with fracking and LNG. As a fresh graduate with minimal (I'm guessing here) experience and you don't qualify for TN visa like Americans would make your chances for job here slim to none as a company would need to do a market needs assessment to get you approved and I don't see a fresh graduate in engineering getting past that
Aug 15, 2016
194 posts
307 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: Alberta's issues aren't political its just not competitive in costs or product. High costs for oil sands, can't scale easily and a product nobody wants versus light sweet crude from much cheaper sources around the world especially fracking to the south. There's zero reason for any company to extract oil via oil sands when they can do it cheaper and faster with more flexibility in scaling operations with bonus of superior product . Oil sands only made sense a decade ago before fracking tech improved

The only political aspect is inability for Albertans to accept reality just like the coal towns in the states
Sorry but this post is just wrong and needs to be called out. There is high demand for heavy oil right now, especially from the US where major refineries have a shortage due to the supply issues in Venezuela and Mexico. Canadian oil producers have done an excellent job getting costs down and are certainly competitive on an operational basis. The issue is entirely related to egress, which means there is not enough pipeline and rail capacity to move the oil to the major refining centers in the US. This isn't just my opinion either, it's well known and published by anyone that follows the industry.

As for the job market, it's still tough in Calgary for professionals and networking is key to get interviewed. I think it would be tough for someone outside the country to get hired unless you were here on the ground. A common way to break into the industry is to get some field experience and leverage that into an office position. I also think that it might be easier st.John's right now given the offshore developments out there right now.