• Aug 23rd, 2020 5:22 pm
[OP]
Jul 23, 2010
11 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto

Oil pump and timing chain repair estimate

Hello Guys,

I finally made an account here after mostly reading useful advice, and hope to contribute more. I was wondering if any mechanically knowledgeable people can give me an opinion if I am getting a reasonable repair estimate for the following issue. I took it to iGarage which I decided to try first time, they quoted me 2600K to repair which I hastily accepted today. It seems a bit on the high end, but given that its a big job and not many garages would maybe even work on an american hybrid, its probably reasonable. I looked at part prices and they look cheap, so most of the cost is probably labour.

- 2015 chevy volt, 130km
- Got a low oil pressure warning on the dash while driving, and engine started making gurgling and grinding noise
- Mechanic said engine light p0014, timing chain issue. Further research into the problem, quoted that oil pump, front cover and timing components need to be replaced to fix the entire issue.
- My own research online, few people also had same problem with oil pump only, oil pump or engine replacement recommended

I haven't really shopped around since my list of honest mechanics has shrunk over the years. The chevy dealership was giving me the runaround when I tried to get a quote from them and wanted me to bring the car in, I've also had a bad experience with dealerships when buying this car in the first place. So I am wondering what you guys think about the quoted price, I've already kind of committed to it though.
8 replies
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
4326 posts
1414 upvotes
Brampton
If there was an oil starvation issue or problem with the timing chain/guides to the point of making grinding noises, it will probably be a lot more than $2600, which I assume is just the initial charge from iGarage. Was there an actual inspection of the engine?
It is possible it could be something else.
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4490 posts
2973 upvotes
Labor to repair cars was never cheap unless you plan to do it yourself. I stopped going to my dealership once they upped their hourly rate to 120. Now I do and try to do everything myself.
Feb 4, 2017
337 posts
234 upvotes
Toronto
Igarage is legit as they come.

You are in good hands.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2016
1693 posts
1807 upvotes
from my minimal experience with igarage. I don't think they upsell you on anything unnecessary but i only go to them for quick oil changes.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13104 posts
4706 upvotes
Ontario
Nobody will know for sure until they open up the engine and inspect & they will charge you to inspect the inside of the engine. igarage may find more damage when they open it and will need to charge you more so keep that in mind.
[OP]
Jul 23, 2010
11 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Just to update on this, the car was repaired by igarage and is running well. Thanks for everyone's input.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2017
1190 posts
1068 upvotes
What was done for $2600. How much per hour is their labour?
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4490 posts
2973 upvotes
George613 wrote: What was done for $2600. How much per hour is their labour?
For sure it was not changing the batteries.