Careers

Is it ok to apply multiple positions in the organization at the same time ?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2019 10:40 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9706 posts
1158 upvotes

Is it ok to apply multiple positions in the organization at the same time ?

I applied a part time job in an organization (that I am really interested to get in) two days ago, it is a completely different role than the positions that I have been doing, but my qualification somehow still match 80% of the job descriptions. The responsibility of this role also seems to be pretty interesting. Anyway, I just noticed that this organization just posted another full time position which is better fit my education background and almost exactly what I have been doing. This company website actually allows applicants to withdraw previous application. I wonder if I should withdraw the first one (part time). I am thinking if the same HR recruiter handles both of my applications, would he/she wonder why this person applies everything part time, full time, two different fields of jobs. I just don't want recruiters to think I am not a serious applicant. What do you guys think ?

Thanks for any advice.
Last edited by rdx on Oct 17th, 2019 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7 replies
Jun 2, 2012
329 posts
314 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Apply for it.

Assuming both your submissions get hits, and get the same recruiter, the recruiter will likely choose which you are best suited for or which position they have harder time filling. Be prepared to answer the question of whether you are interviewing for other positions.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
2053 posts
609 upvotes
Hamilton
So long as the roles are similar in qualifications and seniority there's no reason not to.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9706 posts
1158 upvotes
Sum_guy wrote: So long as the roles are similar in qualifications and seniority there's no reason not to.
They are totally different fields. The first one I applied is a "consultant" title and the posting says it is a part time with 7.5 hours shift (I guess maybe not 5 days a week). Not sure what their plan is. The other one is a typical 9-5 finance position.
Mar 20, 2006
613 posts
444 upvotes
I have asked this question to the HR of companies few times and I am always told to apply again even if it is for the same position I am interviewing for but in a different city. It even includes those companies that automatically email you jobs matching your qualifications and they have your resume on file.
Feb 20, 2015
312 posts
239 upvotes
Yes, it's worth it.

If the recruiter thinks you're a good fit for either roles, they will hook you up with multiple in person interviews.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5431 posts
1737 upvotes
As long as you qualify, they wouldn't care if you apply for multiple positions. The more qualified you are, the less likely this is a problem. Of course, you might be raising some eyebrows if one position you applied for is an admin assistant, and the other is to be a sales manager. If multiple positions are available and you apply, I imagine the roles are similar or in the same functional area.

Always remember hiring decisions are made by humans. A good analogy is dating. You COULD prospect multiple people. You are correct you may be viewed as uncommitted or unclear which person you want. But if your name is Brad Pitt, chances are good the other person is not going to hold it against you. You are just dating...you haven't committed to something yet.

Definitely be prepared to discuss which position interests you the most. If the opportunity arises, ask about the differences in departments/challenges etc of the positions open. Always better to give yourself more options.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6591 posts
3764 upvotes
Toronto
BananaHunter wrote: Always remember hiring decisions are made by humans. A good analogy is dating. You COULD prospect multiple people. You are correct you may be viewed as uncommitted or unclear which person you want. But if your name is Brad Pitt, chances are good the other person is not going to hold it against you. You are just dating...you haven't committed to something yet.
Also employers aren't stupid. No matter what you say, they know that doing this job for them specifically hasn't been your lifetime goal since you were a kid. If you're applying for their open position, then you're applying for jobs at other companies too. There's no presumption that you should really, really want this particular job to the exclusion of all others.