Health & Wellness

Is it OK to let your dentist remove your wisdom teeth or better to go to a specialist? (oral surgeon)

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 23rd, 2018 2:23 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1835 posts
308 upvotes

Is it OK to let your dentist remove your wisdom teeth or better to go to a specialist? (oral surgeon)

so my dentists recomends to remove my wisdom teeth. top 2 are full out. but one has decay on it since it chipped.

bottom left is partially out, and other one on right is underneath gums somewhere.

he x rayed my top teeth and said that he "could" remove them as the roots are relatively straight, but an orla surgeon would need to do the bottom two.

i think i want to leave the bottom two as they are brushable and no problems with them..yet.

so i was thinking of having my dentists put me on the chair , freeze my mouth and remove the top two.

would that be a good way to go? or cheaper then oral surgoen?

theres no health section on RFD so not sure where to post this lol
25 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1393 posts
632 upvotes
Vancouver
I'd go with an oral surgeon unless you know your dentist has extensive knowledge in doing it. Haven't had a positive review from friends that went to a regular dentist vs a surgeon.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 22, 2007
27832 posts
7970 upvotes
Hamilton
Top 2 is really easy job.

But the bottom ones are more difficult as they grow sideways.
hated on but respected.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 23, 2008
13002 posts
9929 upvotes
Edmonton
Why is this in “Home and Garden”?

C
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 19, 2004
25229 posts
6913 upvotes
where I belong
It depends on the difficulty
Mine are all done by dentist, family member went to surgeon and full body sleep :P

if your insurance covers, just pick either? or ask oral surgeon to remove all at once after you go to sleep :)
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Platinum/Biz Plat 100K || Aeroplan Reserve 150K
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
1826 posts
1639 upvotes
Toronto
I prefer Oral surgeon...Most dentist will refer you to the surgeon.... It can get complicated...
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2015
1294 posts
567 upvotes
North York, ON
Wife had 2 removed. Dentist is a surgeon so he removed 1 (using him for over 30 yrs) but said it was better if he allowed a surgeon with the proper equipment to remove the other. Turned out well.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
18696 posts
21370 upvotes
GTA
I had a dentist remove all 4 of my wisdom teeth when I was about 19 to help relieve headaches (which it did).
Mine were easy to remove, just freeze, and crack them out. One thing to insist regardless of who does it is for a post op xray to be sure no bits of tooth are left in the gums, which could lead to a serious infection. That happened to my uncle and he nearly died. It also happened to a friend of mine and was very ill for a few weeks.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Apr 10, 2011
861 posts
792 upvotes
Get an oral surgeon to do it. Get the general anesthesia too, if you can. My husband had his dentist do it and he was picking out shards of tooth from his gums for months after they were "removed". It was a traumatic experience for him....
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 26, 2011
1689 posts
399 upvotes
magoot wrote: Dentist is a surgeon
All dentists are surgeons - D.D.S is literally Doctor of dental surgery.

That being said, the dentist probably wouldn't recommend it if he/she didn't feel confident. If the teeth are relatively straight, it's not much of an issue.
Newbie
Mar 7, 2011
70 posts
42 upvotes
I got my top 2 removed by my dentist at the time. As another RFD-er had mentioned, the tops are usually the easier ones. Then 1 year later, I had to go get my bottom one removed by an oral surgeon (specialist) cause it started to grow out and near nerves.

My advice? Do them all at once and with the specialist if you can - insurance pending? It's just easier to go through it once...
The experience with my dentist was fine, but it may not be for everyone. You're wide awake and you can hear and feel them cracking, picking, cutting, etc. Just be prepared.
With the oral surgeon (specialist), it felt like I was only in that chair for 5 minutes. The one downside between the specialist and my dentist - my dentist actually insists on using stitches that needed to be removed whereas the specialist used dissolvable. Not entirely sure if that makes a huge difference for you.
Newbie
User avatar
Mar 14, 2018
59 posts
22 upvotes
I would do the uppers with the GP dentist (it will cost you a lot less) and go see an oral surgeon or periodontist for the bottom 2. This will cost you a fair bit more. But both offer IV sedation if you need it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1835 posts
308 upvotes
kahkei wrote: I got my top 2 removed by my dentist at the time. As another RFD-er had mentioned, the tops are usually the easier ones. Then 1 year later, I had to go get my bottom one removed by an oral surgeon (specialist) cause it started to grow out and near nerves.

My advice? Do them all at once and with the specialist if you can - insurance pending? It's just easier to go through it once...
The experience with my dentist was fine, but it may not be for everyone. You're wide awake and you can hear and feel them cracking, picking, cutting, etc. Just be prepared.
With the oral surgeon (specialist), it felt like I was only in that chair for 5 minutes. The one downside between the specialist and my dentist - my dentist actually insists on using stitches that needed to be removed whereas the specialist used dissolvable. Not entirely sure if that makes a huge difference for you.
i assume they froze ur mouth when ur GP did it.

how long did it take to remove the upper 2?
Newbie
Mar 15, 2018
1 posts
I don't think it's a problem. My dentist successfully removed one and it was a dent incluse btw. But I suppose it depends on how bad your particular case is
Newbie
Mar 7, 2011
70 posts
42 upvotes
Oh yes, it was local anesthesia. The process...it also depends on how the tooth responds. If it is all clean and well - probably an hour or so for both uppers? I would anticipate 1.5 hrs to be on the safe side. But you can sometimes run into trouble with the dentist needing to crack the tooth into more than 4 pieces, or that it fragmented - meaning the dentist needs to go back in and really clean the open wound.... Let's just say I tried to remain calm, but I am 100% confident that my heart rate and blood pressure sore through the through at least twice (just the anxiety).

That's why I suggest doing all 4 at the same time with full anesthesia... I literally thought it was 5 minutes (which is impossible).
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 13, 2009
21198 posts
10674 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Got my left side wisdoms out as a teen (under general)

My dentist pulled out my right sides like a boss last year (just local freezing required). Saved me a good $1500.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1835 posts
308 upvotes
nasa25 wrote: Got my left side wisdoms out as a teen (under general)

My dentist pulled out my right sides like a boss last year (just local freezing required). Saved me a good $1500.
when your dentist pulled ur right wisdom teeth out, did u feel or sense anything even under freezing? and how much did he charge to take the 2 out?

if u saved tha tmuch money i may chose that route.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1835 posts
308 upvotes
engineered wrote: I had a dentist remove all 4 of my wisdom teeth when I was about 19 to help relieve headaches (which it did).
Mine were easy to remove, just freeze, and crack them out. One thing to insist regardless of who does it is for a post op xray to be sure no bits of tooth are left in the gums, which could lead to a serious infection. That happened to my uncle and he nearly died. It also happened to a friend of mine and was very ill for a few weeks.
do you recal how much he charged?

my dentist does do tooth extractions, but he normally doesnt do wisdom. he xrayed the top 2 and said he might be able to do the top to since they are fully out and the roots seem straight
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 13, 2009
21198 posts
10674 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: when your dentist pulled ur right wisdom teeth out, did u feel or sense anything even under freezing? and how much did he charge to take the 2 out?

if u saved tha tmuch money i may chose that route.
I shattered a left molar so I had 3 teeth pulled. One left and the 2 right wisdoms. I had freezing plus laughing gas to take the edge off. Initially I felt a bit but then I started to haul tokes of the laughing gas and all I felt was my head being pulled back and forth while he yanked the teeth out. Didn’t feel any pain at all.

I think it was about $1k to pull all 3 teeth. $700 relating to the wisdom teeth. But you need to get a dentist willing to do it.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
18696 posts
21370 upvotes
GTA
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: do you recal how much he charged?

my dentist does do tooth extractions, but he normally doesnt do wisdom. he xrayed the top 2 and said he might be able to do the top to since they are fully out and the roots seem straight
No idea. It was all covered by my parent's insurance.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Top