Automotive

Is it ok to mix windshield washer fluid types?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2009 7:58 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2003
2111 posts
301 upvotes
GTA

Is it ok to mix windshield washer fluid types?

I've always used the regular -40C blue stuff, but just purchased some RainX (the yellow kind). Is it ok to just add it to the existing fluid, or do I have to drain the reservoir first? Thanks.
12 replies
Banned
Jul 16, 2008
524 posts
1 upvote
It will be fine to mix them. You just might not get the full Rain-X effect.

People mix them all the time. You don't always buy the same brand/type each time and they all do the same thing...melt ice and clean glass (just don't tell Rain-X that I told you so).
Dec 29, 2008
9 posts
Scarborough
its the same thing windshield washer is just soap mixed with water, the colour is just a dye mixing them together wont be a problem
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2003
2111 posts
301 upvotes
GTA
Thanks for the quick reply. Just didn't want the mixtures to go kaboom on me! :D To get more of a RainX effect, I'll try to use as much of what I have before I refill.
Aug 25, 2005
833 posts
91 upvotes
I saw that RainX at Walmart and was curious whether it was any good.

Let us know how it goes.
Dec 18, 2008
949 posts
24 upvotes
i got that yellow rainx stuff - its works great better than the stuff i had before
Aug 25, 2005
833 posts
91 upvotes
Spongeg wrote: i got that yellow rainx stuff - its works great better than the stuff i had before
As in melts the frost etc? or just wipes cleaner?
Dec 18, 2008
949 posts
24 upvotes
makes the windows clean

haven't had to try it on snow as my car is never in the snow here
Aug 25, 2005
833 posts
91 upvotes
Spongeg wrote: makes the windows clean

haven't had to try it on snow as my car is never in the snow here
Thanks. I'll think I'll give it a try.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20985 posts
5561 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
redac wrote: I saw that RainX at Walmart and was curious whether it was any good.
RainX is definitely better than average. I put it in after completely using up the generic stuff in the resevoir, so it was almost 100% RainX fluid used. It was an immediate and very noticeable improvement.
- casual gastronomist -
Aug 25, 2005
833 posts
91 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote: RainX is definitely better than average. I put it in after completely using up the generic stuff in the resevoir, so it was almost 100% RainX fluid used. It was an immediate and very noticeable improvement.
Sounds good - thanks.

I picked up a jug -- look forward to trying it after I finish whatever is in there now.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2003
1908 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
rain-x is great.
water just beads off the glass as you're driving, especially if you're going fast enough. really helps in heavy rain and snow.

there are other solutions as well besides the rain-x washer fluid and some say they work even better but i'm too lazy for all that.
Banned
May 5, 2005
13286 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
I got some eco-friendly pink formula from Crappy Tires this year and mixed it with the tried and true blue. Results were negligible but man, there is a funky smell that comes through the heating vents that smacks you in the face everytime you spray. I just hope it isn't toxic.
Joe Zawinul
1932 - 2007

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)