Home & Garden

Is it ok my neighbour keeps a bright light on every night just outside my window?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 6th, 2021 1:44 pm
[OP]
Aug 29, 2005
662 posts
134 upvotes

Is it ok my neighbour keeps a bright light on every night just outside my window?

new neighbour, moved in couple of months ago. they are building a walk-up basement by opening a door on the wall. the door is not there yet. a light on the future position was installed 1 week ago.

the light is on every night and off in the monring(auto setting?). this light is right outside a window of my living room. oh boy, it is bright!

I was wondering why they keep the light on when there is nobody moving there at night at all. A friend of mine told me that my neighbour might want to build a security camera there in the future so they keep the light on at night for the security camera.

this sounds even more annoying than the bright light! This means I will have to always shut that window of the living room when there is security camera right outside.

Just wondering if it is ok for people to install light and 24/7 sercurity camera right outside neighbour's window?
Images
  • light_LI1.jpg
Last edited by supermike on Sep 6th, 2021 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
8 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17211 posts
19111 upvotes
Oakville
Just tell them it's pretty bothersome to you and ask them if they can use a dimmer bulb or out a hood on it. Or use a motion sensor.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
4045 posts
1071 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
engineered wrote: Just tell them it's pretty bothersome to you and ask them if they can use a dimmer bulb or out a hood on it. Or use a motion sensor.
They could put up a more appropriate light.
Imagine this one with the outermost glass facing your home blacked out with black paint, or sheet metal etc.
https://www.lowes.ca/product/outdoor-wa ... lsrc=aw.ds
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
4768 posts
2108 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
That light really is obnoxiously bright. Your best course of action to start would be to talk to them. Explain your situation and ask what can be done while explaining some of the options (as mentioned above motion detector, dimmer, etc). If the people are reasonable you should be able to resolve this quickly with a short conversation instead of heading straight to your bylaw department. Why involve by-law and potentially ruin the relationship already if it's not necessary?

As for the potential security camera I would cross that bridge when it comes. I believe most bylaws would require that they adjust the camera if it was actually peering in your window and you complained. Personally I would definitely ask to see the field of view of the camera if they do install one there that appears to look in your window.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2858 posts
1537 upvotes
Markham
Just like everyone said, TALK to your neighbour. It can be potentially resolved in a 20 second conversation....
You coming here and posting actually takes more time than to speak to your neighbour.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
6089 posts
4391 upvotes
Another annoying neighbour thread. Another OP who prefer to ask anonymous RFD'ers if this is a normal situation. Op, the posts above told the right thing to do... talk to your neighbour, kindly explain the issue. I am sure those guys are not scumbags, and would totally understand your concerns.
Oct 2, 2018
974 posts
834 upvotes
Toronto
Part of the problem is they used a light that looks to have a DAYLIGHT bulb something like 6,000K temp. Try another WARM bulb at 2,700K temp same wattage, it will be a warm yellow in comparison and would be a good compromise.

I keep my side LED light by my garbage cans and my rear backyard deck light LED on 24 hours a day, use 60w 2,700K no complaints at all. Those 6000 to 6500K bright white LEDs should be outlawed, looks cheap very aggravating.

Same with under eaves lighting...warm lights look half decent, DAYLIGHT looks like trash and everyone is annoyed and complaining as they should. Many people have no idea of color temp selection for lights, suggest or buy your neighbour a 2,700K bulb see it is helps....doubt any bylaw will stop him from placing a light on his property so try mitigating the issue.
Youth is the gift of nature, while age is a work of art.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
5144 posts
5274 upvotes
Vancouver
DoorCrasher wrote: Another annoying neighbour thread. Another OP who prefer to ask anonymous RFD'ers if this is a normal situation. Op, the posts above told the right thing to do... talk to your neighbour, kindly explain the issue. I am sure those guys are not scumbags, and would totally understand your concerns.
I didn't realize you knew the OP's neighbour's. Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Now my neighbours have annoying under-eaves lights that are almost on the property line and shining down onto the side of my house as well as theirs - and worse, they're on a motion detector that goes on and off all night whenever the wind blows. As for talking to them, they're an elderly Chinese couple occupying the property on behalf of non-resident owners, and they speak not a word of English.