Automotive

Is this ok price? 2009 Honda civic exl for $2500?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 7th, 2018 10:51 am
Nov 23, 2016
34 posts
69 upvotes

Is this ok price? 2009 Honda civic exl for $2500?

Hey guys. One of my friends' friends' cousin is selling pre-owned car. Shes selling 2009 Honda Civic Exl with 160k mileage for $2.5k. This is my first time trying to buy a car. What do you guys think about it? I know its cheaper than market and my friends have told me that i should be careful for price being too low. And I was told by another friend that I must check for safety inspection before buying. Should I do the safety inspection at my cost or request her? I also asked about etest and carproof and she doesnt have neither. Is this normal when its a direct sales for between two people and not thru dealership? Are there any other that I should be aware of? Thx
Images
  • 20180907_100822.png
  • 20180907_100757.png
3 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2126 posts
1449 upvotes
Durham
Stay far away. I'm basing that on the messages. "I revved it to 5k" Sure people do that but his language and talking about revving it would turn me off. Especially the "nah just deal with it yourself". Deal with what if nothing is wrong? I wouldn't even bother wasting your money on carproof.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1689 posts
399 upvotes
They're not wrong, people do sell cars as-is without including a safety. However, if it's your first time buying a used car and you're not entirely sure what to look for when inspecting the car yourself, I would stay away. Sometimes it's not worth the trouble.
Mar 28, 2018
311 posts
158 upvotes
Calgary, AB
finchboy wrote: Hey guys. One of my friends' friends' cousin is selling pre-owned car. Shes selling 2009 Honda Civic Exl with 160k mileage for $2.5k. This is my first time trying to buy a car. What do you guys think about it? I know its cheaper than market and my friends have told me that i should be careful for price being too low. And I was told by another friend that I must check for safety inspection before buying. Should I do the safety inspection at my cost or request her? I also asked about etest and carproof and she doesnt have neither. Is this normal when its a direct sales for between two people and not thru dealership? Are there any other that I should be aware of? Thx
Pipe covered with ziploc bag is already a red flag for me. But generally speaking, car proof, safety/mechanical inspection is always on the buyer in a private sale. Better to lose a few hundred, than to end up with a car that has a few thousand in repairs. That being said, it is a Civic, so chances of it having lots of issues is a lot lower. Big thing I'd look for is accidents on the car proof, and the maintenance history.