• Feb 22nd, 2023 4:35 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 27, 2012
824 posts
251 upvotes
Ontario

Discount/Price in Title of Topics

I've been noticing a lot of users not including prices in the titles of topics. The new topic form has an input field for discount % and sales price.

Instead of having users type it manually into the title, I suggest that the theme of the forum be edited to display the discount or sales price to be included.
48 replies
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18224 posts
36610 upvotes
Scarborough
We regularly go through and edit this information into titles. The idea with the price/discount fields was to capture this info for another use on the website and it never really took off and may be dropped in a future update. We are however working on ways to encourage users to add this info themselves into titles when posting deals.
RFD Staff - Got a question? Send me a private message.
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]
Sep 27, 2003
11122 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket
TomRFD wrote: We regularly go through and edit this information into titles. The idea with the price/discount fields was to capture this info for another use on the website and it never really took off and may be dropped in a future update. We are however working on ways to encourage users to add this info themselves into titles when posting deals.
Can we make the fields mandatory? We receive a lot of reports today for missing information that costs the moderation team hours to fill in the blanks.
RFD Forums Moderator
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18224 posts
36610 upvotes
Scarborough
WorldIRC wrote: Can we make the fields mandatory? We receive a lot of reports today for missing information that costs the moderation team hours to fill in the blanks.
We did discuss this but in the end we decided against it because it would likely decrease the amount of deals posted (too much work, higher abandon rates) and there are many types of thread that wouldn't match up with these fields. Like I mentioned before we are working on a few different ways to improve this and we should see some of them start to come to light in 2016.
Sep 30, 2001
30160 posts
10147 upvotes
Toronto
TomRFD wrote: We did discuss this but in the end we decided against it because it would likely decrease the amount of deals posted (too much work, higher abandon rates)
In that case please make it clear that editing the titles is a 'nice to have' and not a forum rule requiring a report.
Be kind and civil with one another
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2005
1721 posts
643 upvotes
Kitchener
I still feel this issue still needs to be resolved. Why when I enter the price into the field that it is not automatically put in the title, just like the store?

Every day I see posts telling the author to put the price in the title, yet they have already entered it into the field which shows in the post. If you enter it into the field for the post, why not automatically put it in the title?
Jul 31, 2016
642 posts
1275 upvotes
Whitby
Every post for a deal you're asked for the sale price and then it still doesn't stick it in the title or show it in the deal list view. It would take less than half a day of coding to get this right and make the site significantly more useful. Deals are literally your only job.
Mar 2, 2014
207 posts
1137 upvotes
Halifax
But the sale price is so YMMV, dependent on multiple pieces, example coupon, no coupon, PSP, non-PSP etc.
So the sale price is not what we need in the tittle, we need the effective $ the user shelled out.
my 2 cents.
Jul 31, 2016
642 posts
1275 upvotes
Whitby
lol what's crazy is how many replies are getting deleted?
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2011
2022 posts
8935 upvotes
rajanprash wrote: But the sale price is so YMMV, dependent on multiple pieces, example coupon, no coupon, PSP, non-PSP etc.
So the sale price is not what we need in the tittle, we need the effective $ the user shelled out.
my 2 cents.
So then just write out the effective $ the user shelled out in the sale price (without taxes)
how do i remove my signature?
Jul 31, 2016
642 posts
1275 upvotes
Whitby
phoreoneone wrote: So then just write out the effective $ the user shelled out in the sale price (without taxes)
Something, anything. You're already filling out the field once. Literally the thing computers are supposed to eliminate are repetitive tasks.
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
17117 posts
3872 upvotes
GTA
wow mods are fast
came to flame the hot deal
already moved to comments
well done
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2014
2460 posts
2941 upvotes
Laputa
rajanprash wrote: But the sale price is so YMMV, dependent on multiple pieces, example coupon, no coupon, PSP, non-PSP etc.
my 2 cents.
He means when you are creating a thread, it asks the price. Then RFD should grab the variable and put it into thread title. Just like the store tag we already have. It is doable, shouldn't be hard, but they need to make the decision.
20190904125912.png

Thx OP! Bought 10 😂
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2009
2280 posts
1420 upvotes
Montreal
a good developer is expensive and most likely out of their budget
Jul 31, 2016
642 posts
1275 upvotes
Whitby
actng wrote: wow mods are fast
came to flame the hot deal
already moved to comments
well done

yeah i had 2 intentions, 1) get more attention for this issue and 2) get flamed which should help with 1).
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2014
2460 posts
2941 upvotes
Laputa
williamsauga wrote: a good developer is expensive and most likely out of their budget
lol most people here are developers, they can do it for free.

Thx OP! Bought 10 😂
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18224 posts
36610 upvotes
Scarborough
williamsauga wrote: a good developer is expensive and most likely out of their budget
No, we're just waiting for the warehouse to restock.

In all honesty we are aware of the issue and it will be addressed in the future update. That field (and a few others) haven't been used for anything in a long time and they'll be replaced by a better system which will increase the odds of having a good deal title from the get go.
Jul 31, 2016
642 posts
1275 upvotes
Whitby
TomRFD wrote: No, we're just waiting for the warehouse to restock.

In all honesty we are aware of the issue and it will be addressed in the future update. That field (and a few others) haven't been used for anything in a long time and they'll be replaced by a better system which will increase the odds of having a good deal title from the get go.
Sounds great! And by future update, how far into the future would you estimate?
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18224 posts
36610 upvotes
Scarborough
ajacian81 wrote: Sounds great! And by future update, how far into the future would you estimate?
If I had to guess, first half of 2020. There are a few large and more pressing things being worked on but I think this one might be able to be rolled into the forum personalization/customization project to hopefully get worked on sooner rather than later.

In the meantime our staff does try their best to update titles when the pricing or discount info is absent.
Oct 21, 2009
921 posts
850 upvotes
ajacian81 wrote: Sounds great! And by future update, how far into the future would you estimate?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)