Computers & Electronics

Ok time to build a very basic gaming PC or terrible time to build?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 25th, 2021 9:57 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2009
1389 posts
414 upvotes

Ok time to build a very basic gaming PC or terrible time to build?

I'm a relatively low demand gamer, usually pretty content with PS4/Xbox One games at 1080p or lower. I'm also in my mid-40's and life is crazy busy so I'm usually playing games released at least 2 years ago. Though I might go for Cyberpunk soonish if I do build a PC (given that it still sucks on basic PS4 and Xbox One and likely always will). I'm probably 1.5 to 2 years from diving into PS5 or Xbox One Series X.

I know the dedicated GPU market is horrible right now, but I wasn't looking to go dedicated - the new Ryzen 5 5600G is what has caught my eye as it seems Ok for my level of gaming now, and I can upgrade to a dedicated GPU a couple years from now when they are (hopefully) sane again. Even then it will likely be something around the $200 mark.

Given the spare case, 500w PS, SSD, mouse, kb, and monitor I have already, I think I can drop in the $329 5600G, a ~$130ish mobo (Asus B550 something probably) and an 8gb stick of DDR4 3200mhz for about $550 after tax. This should get me doing 720p high or 1080p medium graphics in most games I'm looking to play if I'm reading the reviews right.

That said, I figured now is a bad time to go for it with the GPU shortage + back to school making prices higher. My friend who is way more into PC gaming and always has a high end gaming PC says this is a bad time to upgrade.

BUT, others online say the parts shortage is going to get worse for a good while longer before it gets better. Eg the "right time" won't be a month or two from now but rather "sometime well into 2022". Also a lot of the "prices are going to get better" folks seem to hold crypto mining crashing as something that will happen soon and bring prices down. I feel like people have been predicting mining crashing for years now...

Anyway, interested in opinions, etc if you got em. Thanks.
19 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4903 posts
1942 upvotes
With that budget.. might as well go straight for a new Xbox series X/S or PS5. the 5600G is barely adequate for low 1080p gaming even on 2 year old games. Definitely not great for cyberpunk. Unless the games you want to play are PC exclusives or low requirement indie PC games, or you need a PC for other purposes, don't see the point of building gaming pc without a dedicated GPU. Get yourself on a waitlist for GPU on canadacomputers, memoryexprss etc etc. Or look out for instore best buy drops on their blog, and go line up early.

The being said, $200 budget on a graphics card though is a tough spot. Maybe they'll come out with something around that budget next year? or else you'll have to hunt for used parts which will be another challenge.

If you do decide to do the 5600G route, you will need dual channel memory, so 2 sticks minimum . Ryzen integrated graphics loses alot of performance in single channel configuration. So go for the 2X8gb kits, looks like 3600mhz is the sweet spot, 3200mhz minimum.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
2037 posts
1442 upvotes
Vancouver
I think prices have started coming down. Though $200 is kinda low for a GPU. $400 should get a decently high-end used GPU such as a 1080Ti or Vega64. eBay seems to some listings around that mark. These GPUs will run nearly all games at High/UltraHigh/Max settings

Apart from that, the basic config you have looks good enough.

As others say RAM does effect performance on AMD, however if you check YT for comparison videos on Single/Dual channel, the difference is not more than a few FPS at max. Though not sure if the integrated graphics are affected more.

If the market correction theories floating around are correct, there could be high inflation occurring soon. But that is still currently a theory
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4903 posts
1942 upvotes
Single channel vs dual channel comparison on older 3200G.... couldnt find a more updated video. The integrated video is really affected by the single vs dual channels. :

and

Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
2587 posts
1492 upvotes
Ontario
Terrible time to build considering prices...
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
6801 posts
8455 upvotes
74629315 downvotes
With video cards you're dealing with a perfect trifeca:

1) Reduced supply due to factory shutdowns and chip shortage
2) People are flush with money due to stimulus and free government giveaways
3) Bitcoin is taking up a lot of the market

All of these will be dealt with eventually. #3 is being dealt with by new LHR cards. To think video cards will go up in price is absolutely wrong. They will actually drop in price significantly over the next 2 years, especially the used market. I bet 1 year from now cards will be half price whay they are now (RTX 3060 Ti should be around $350).

So yeah, building now would probably not be the wisest move. That being said, other computer parts besides video cards are dirt cheap - especially cases and motherboards. You could grab a case and decent atx mobo for under $200 and then add pieces to it as you go. Wait for black friday for sure. I would go with a 5600X processor. It will be good for at least 5 years or longer.
Dec 6, 2020
937 posts
1039 upvotes
Conventional wisdom before COVID Delta destroyed the world was that people without an urgent need to buy stuff should wait 6-24 months for prices to drop.

Now we have permanent Delta, prices have nowhere to go but up as more parts of the global supply chain get shut down due to Delta outbreaks.
Nov 15, 2009
607 posts
127 upvotes
GTA
Probably better to grab a ps5/series x right now and build a computer in 1.5-2 years instead. It’s not possible to build a computer that plays games better than those consoles for under $1000 right now.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2009
1489 posts
1025 upvotes
Toronto
Sounds like you just want to buy a PC to enjoy gaming so there is no point in speculating on PC part prices. Leave that to the scalpers and "pc part investors". Just buy what you can afford now and enjoy it.

Go back to any post about PC part prices in 2020 and the majority consensus was to wait until 2021 for it to be resolved. Well here we are...
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
2037 posts
1442 upvotes
Vancouver
coilz wrote: Single channel vs dual channel comparison on older 3200G.... couldnt find a more updated video. The integrated video is really affected by the single vs dual channels.
Oh wow! That is double the FPS with Dual Channel. I didnot expect that
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
Aug 29, 2012
279 posts
208 upvotes
SURREY
I'm in the process of building a gaming PC right now. You can get every part easily but the GPU. I only have 2 parts left to buy and I was just going to get a bundle from cc. Turns out, the CPU/GPU bundle won't ad to my cart and now I'm screwed. So... good luck.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2009
1389 posts
414 upvotes
Thanks for the replies everyone. Seems like its utter chaos out there in PC building and a guessing game as to when (or if) it will get better.

I should have clarified in my original post that I do want to do more than just game (like many here I have a huge backlog) but nothing crazy. Basically I have my phone and an old iPad for general internet use. Outside of those I'd have to borrow another family member's computer as my work laptop is tightly locked and monitored.

A laptop is another option, except that according to a thread in Hot Deals a $1000 laptop with a Ryzen 5600H and an RTX 3050 can't run Cyberpunk on minimum settings at all. Meanwhile there's several YT videos showing it running at 30fps at 1900x720 with low settings on a 5600G desktop. Plus every laptop maker seems to have nightmare reviews.

I think in the end waiting is a big unknown, so as submarine said I'll likey just buy the best laptop or desktop I can afford and enjoy it.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4987 posts
1675 upvotes
1.) Figure out what you'll actually be using a new PC for.
2.) Purchase accordingly to Step 1.

"I might go for Cyberpunk" = I don't know what I'll actually be using a new PC for.

"This should get me doing 720p high or 1080p medium graphics in most games I'm looking to play" - I hope these are games exclusive to PC. Otherwise why wouldn't you just get them on PS4/XB1 when you already have the hardware?

It sounds like the OP has a case of fear of missing out. Prices won't get worst. They won't get better either. They'll be where they are today through to late 2022 or 2023. Buying today is only beneficial if you'll be playing your intended games today.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2034 upvotes
Toronto
savethebeer wrote: I'm in the process of building a gaming PC right now. You can get every part easily but the GPU. I only have 2 parts left to buy and I was just going to get a bundle from cc. Turns out, the CPU/GPU bundle won't ad to my cart and now I'm screwed. So... good luck.
Which is why many have had to buy prebuilts simply to get a decent GPU, not that the other parts would have been their first choice.
If I were OP I'd get the best prebuilt within budget that can remotely play the games.
This is not bad for given the GPU alone may be hard to find at the price of the entire system.

https://www.staples.ca/products/2964361 ... windows-10

Product Details
Acer Nitro 50 DG.E1FAA.001 Standard Desktop Computer.

3.4 GHz AMD Ryzen 5 3500 processor (6MB cache)
8 GB DDR4 RAM system memory
1 TB Hard Disk Drive storage
Windows 10 operating system pre-installed
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4.0 GB graphics
WiFi, Bluetooth connectivity
Ports: 2 x USB 3.0, 4 x USB 2.0, 1 x USB-C, HDMI, DisplayPort, USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A, Headphone/Microphone-combo
Dimensions: 13.4"L x 13.8"W x 6.4"H, 14.3 lbs
1-Year Warranty
Compatible with Google Classroom, run Google Classroom on Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer 11

$849.99
Reg: $999.99
Save: $150.00
Expires: 8/24/2021 11:59 PM
Eco Fee: $1.25
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
6257 posts
3011 upvotes
Kingston, ON
While $850 is $850 and I know you’re right that it’s hard to even find a 1650 for a decent price… that card was behind the curve two years ago.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ge ... 096-3.html

There’s got to be a better solution than that. Massive gap between a 1650 and a 1660… even vs a 1060 or RX570.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2034 upvotes
Toronto
Mike15 wrote: While $850 is $850 and I know you’re right that it’s hard to even find a 1650 for a decent price… that card was behind the curve two years ago.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ge ... 096-3.html

There’s got to be a better solution than that. Massive gap between a 1650 and a 1660… even vs a 1060 or RX570.
Just demonstrating what's available under $1000 with or without having to buy an entire rig.
At 101 in the gpu bencmarks the 1650 is no slouch. It's aged and we have come a long way in gpus performance, but pricewise and availability wise, you are lucky to even find one if you are budgeting under $1k.
Just months ago we were posting deals at the same price for an entire rig with a 1660 super.
Now these rigs are over $1000.
Even worse are some rigs with onboard graphics which are nowhere close to the lowly 1650 are also up there in price.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2009
1389 posts
414 upvotes
Last night I stumbled on a backorder opportunity on the Best Buy website for an Asus 1650 4GB card for $249, with first week Sept delivery (from Best Buy, not Marketplace). I threw in an order for it - got a week or so to cancel if I find something else or change my approach...
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2007
2316 posts
399 upvotes
Edmonton
Scored MSI RTX3060 Ventus 3x today. Total fluke when I called for something else. There were two on the shelf at ME when I called. No holds, no prepayment. Come to store and buy one if available. Got the last one.
Jul 29, 2019
314 posts
294 upvotes
OP, you can buy a Desktop PC like XPS and Alienware sans a GPU for very cheap off kijiji or bst forums here. And then busget the rest amount for gpu
I spend time on RFD,
more than I'd like to admit.
But I console myself stating,
I'd need another job if I wouldn't
Dec 1, 2003
571 posts
209 upvotes
Ottawa
cyperpunk is a gpu intensive game. It know we all like to build PC with good components but it is probably better to look for prebuild as it will come out cheaper (often much cheaper) due to GPU shortage.