Cell Phones

Okanagan Valley Residents: Which carrier do you use?

• Last Updated:
  • May 22nd, 2019 3:17 pm
[OP]
Oct 19, 2017
26 posts
6 upvotes
Vancouver

Okanagan Valley Residents: Which carrier do you use?

Hello,

I currently live in the Vancouver area and use Wind/Freedom Mobile. For the purpose of relocating for a new job, I will be moving to either Penticton or Kelowna soon. Does Wind Mobile have good coverage in the Okanagan Valley? What carrier would have the best coverage for that region?
6 replies
Jun 2, 2010
591 posts
283 upvotes
Toronto
Honibaz wrote: Hello,

I currently live in the Vancouver area and use Wind/Freedom Mobile. For the purpose of relocating for a new job, I will be moving to either Penticton or Kelowna soon. Does Wind Mobile have good coverage in the Okanagan Valley? What carrier would have the best coverage for that region?
You can use this to see for yourself: Canadian Cellular Towers Map

Only TELUS and Rogers have cellular towers in the two cities you mentioned. So you will have to go with Bell/TELUS (or one of their sub-brands) or with Rogers (or one of its sub-brands).

If you look on the Freedom Mobile coverage website, you will see that you would be roaming in the two cities you mentioned: Freedom Mobile coverage
Koodo: Unlimited Canada Talk, World Text, 8+9 GB Data
AT&T: Unlimited talk & text in and between the U.S., Canada, & Mexico, 8+17 GB data
Nov 16, 2014
188 posts
80 upvotes
Ladysmith, BC
Even if you had Freedom coverage in the Okanagan, you wouldn't have coverage on any of the highways in the area or to the lower mainland. Coverage on highways is important for safety and convenience. Telus or Rogers or sub-brands.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2011
1547 posts
265 upvotes
Calgary
Public Mobile works GREAT in the OK valley, and I know several residents there who use it without issue. Koodo would also be great (same company)
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2017
1220 posts
1015 upvotes
Calgary
Pingu99 wrote: Even if you had Freedom coverage in the Okanagan, you wouldn't have coverage on any of the highways in the area or to the lower mainland. Coverage on highways is important for safety and convenience. Telus or Rogers or sub-brands.
Freedom has coverage in all those places, just on Telus/Rogers but it's no good if he doesn't live in one of Freedom's areas as they cut you off if you spent more than 50% of your time outside of the Freedom network. Freedom is coming to Kelowna this year though.

Rogers is terrible in Eastern BC and Alberta though, stick with a Telus/Bell company.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2011
1105 posts
1172 upvotes
Stick with Telus/Koodo/Public Mobile (< these 3 are the same company and same towers), they have by far the best coverage in BC.
Jan 4, 2013
541 posts
182 upvotes
Just did a trip to Summerland, wife had somewhat decent cell reception with Telus, I had trash with Fido. Mine possibly could be my phone though but if Fido didn't offer me much better plan than everyone else at the time I would have stuck with Telus personally.