Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2305 posts
612 upvotes
Calgary

Old ankle Sprain

Help!! I sprained my ankle a few years ago and for the most part it's 100% healed. No issues with daily or physical activities. My problem is when it's about to rain or a drastic temperature change I think. My ankle acts up with so much pain I can barely walk on it. It bothers me a lot when sleeping.

I'm hoping some one here have similar problems as me and can advise what I can do to reduce the pain or make this pain go away as quick as possible.
4 replies
Aug 17, 2008
961 posts
354 upvotes
You're not the only one. It's a common complaint that people with old injuries feel pain when the weather is about to change (approaching storms). Hard to prove, but most medical experts agree that there is something to this, and it's probably due to dropping barometric pressure when a storm approaches, causing tissues to swell.

https://www.webmd.com/pain-management/f ... and_pain#1

General advice is to keep the injured area warm. Maybe try compression socks, or just socks when sleeping.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
2689 posts
273 upvotes
I’d find a good physiotherapist in your area to help you.

The weather changes have been linked to a change in earth magnetism which occurs right before any weather changes. Barometric pressure used to be believed to cause it, but that has been disproven. There was a study done in the UK which correlated changes in global polarity as the cause of increased sensitization in certain people.

However, this only causes problems if the “gun is already loaded”. Find out what’s still wrong and fix that and the problem will go away (including changes in the weather).
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5465 posts
1631 upvotes
Space
It happens to me as well. It’s mainly when it’s damp and cold out that my joints act up.
Sep 23, 2018
3 posts
Yes, I agree.
One of the theories also suggest that during colder seasons, the body will try and conserve as much energy and send more blood towards the center of the body, heart & lungs, so the arms, legs, shoulders, knee joints, blood vessels will constrict. Less blood flow would make those areas colder and stiffer, which can increase the discomfort and pain.

I would also suggest you consult a physiotherapist and get a checkup done. Regular therapy and exercises would help relieve the pain.

Hope this helps!