• Last Updated:
  • Nov 19th, 2019 12:32 pm
[OP]
Feb 25, 2015
915 posts
1120 upvotes
NB

old Bell tablet plan $5/1GB price increase

I had an old (circa 2016) tablet plan with Bell, $5 per month. Logged in today to pay the bill, and saw they quietly changed the plan to $10 per month. There is no contract attached. We kept this line for occasional use with the second tablet, but perhaps it is time to fire Bell as the provider. Already have 3GB loyalty Fido.

Just a quick heads up for those who have legacy tablet plans. There was no notification from Bell whatsoever, I discovered this purely by accident.
"Stuff should not be multiplied without necessity"
10 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
20424 posts
8461 upvotes
Toronto
I used to have one of those plans. I ditched it long ago when Fido offered a much better deal.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, EQ Bank, Simplii
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2008
1322 posts
397 upvotes
Toronto
same here

I did get an email "Your Agreement with Bell - Mobile# xxxxxxxxxxx" at the beginning of new billing period (i.e. no advance notice) that basically implies I accept whatever change was initiated (I did not make any changes).

Is there anything I can do other than cancelling it? (I read that if I am not on contract then yes they can change terms unilaterally and not much I can do ...)

(I also have Fido tablet plans, but at my workplace only Bell/Telus have good signal, Rogers / Freedom signals are poor ...)
Amerifriend threads need to include instructions on how to acquire an amerifriend. :confused:
[OP]
Feb 25, 2015
915 posts
1120 upvotes
NB
Reporting back:
- called Bell CS, front line could not figure out what happened, escalated to supervisor
- grandfathered plans were removed from the system a couple of weeks ago
- a new loyalty plan is available, same features, same price. Unlimited incoming SMS are included
- she switched the line to the loyalty plan and checked that plan changes have been saved (took a couple of attempts)
- got the new agreement by email, it does not mention the bonus 1GB
- the new plan appeared in my Bell account an hour later, the 1 GB is there and it looks like it is shareable with other devices

We'll see. I might actually keep it as a backup
"Stuff should not be multiplied without necessity"
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8642 posts
1095 upvotes
carbide wrote: Reporting back:
- called Bell CS, front line could not figure out what happened, escalated to supervisor
- grandfathered plans were removed from the system a couple of weeks ago
- a new loyalty plan is available, same features, same price. Unlimited incoming SMS are included
- she switched the line to the loyalty plan and checked that plan changes have been saved (took a couple of attempts)
- got the new agreement by email, it does not mention the bonus 1GB
- the new plan appeared in my Bell account an hour later, the 1 GB is there and it looks like it is shareable with other devices

We'll see. I might actually keep it as a backup
You have a cellphone plan? A Fido data plan, and a bell plan? What do you mean a backup? A backup from what?
Feb 22, 2016
20 posts
3 upvotes
Same BS happened to me the other day, logged on and saw my next bill will be up 5 bucks, no notice no nothing. Was the push i needed to upgrade my phone and get a better deal anyways. But i'm sure in a couple years they'll do it again!
Jun 21, 2008
541 posts
144 upvotes
mississauga
r1lee wrote: You have a cellphone plan? A Fido data plan, and a bell plan? What do you mean a backup? A backup from what?
you can never have too many backupsSmiling Face With Open Mouth
Sep 18, 2019
5 posts
1 upvote
Thank you carbide for the heads-up. Just saw the same change on my bell account.
The lady from loyalty plan helped me transferred to a new plan is as this:
250M $2.50
-1GB $5
-2GB $10
-5GB $30
Seems even better than before as a "backup". Winking Face
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2008
1322 posts
397 upvotes
Toronto
Thank you carbide and MrGood2. I forgot about this, but seeing MrGood2's append prompted me to call in and speak to Loyalty team. I think they just put me in "Loyalty Tablet Share plan" even though I don't have any other voice lines with Bell.

Loyalty Tablet Share plan
$5.00/mo.

Device type - tablet
Unlimited Wi-Fi at Bell Hotspots
Bonus 1GB
Basic Long Distance Rate
Tablet Subscriber
Unlmtd Incoming Txt Msgs
This plan allows customers on a Voice & Data Share Plan of 1 GB or higher to share the included data with their Tablets.

I think MrGood2's plan is better, and mine is similar/same as carbide's. I don't use more than 1GB, so this is good enough for me as long as it includes the bonus 1GB.
Amerifriend threads need to include instructions on how to acquire an amerifriend. :confused:
Sep 18, 2019
5 posts
1 upvote
Need to note that the data sim card getting back to its "tablet data" - after the plan change it's not working on my nexus 6p but only on ipad now.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2008
1322 posts
397 upvotes
Toronto
My data still works in my Pixel XL phone after switching over to "Loyalty Tablet Share plan". (APN is pda.bell.ca)