• Aug 15th, 2018 3:58 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2004
1386 posts
188 upvotes

Old Junk I Left By the Curb

I left an old Genesis garage door opener by the curb and like the installer said, someone had taken it with a few days.

What do people do with this? It wasnt working and had no controllers.

Are there places that take this for cash? How doing get in on this :p I googled acrap for cash but got only scrap yards that take old cars
11 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
2542 posts
1550 upvotes
Toronto
Electronics recycling - precious metals. But probably $0.05 in that opener LOL.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3181 posts
1930 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
Scrap metal.
If it's separated properly, it adds up. Motors have a dollar per pound price that is higher than just the steel parts, but not as high as if the copper windings were removed from the motor. Copper wire with the insulation stripped is worth more than if it is not stripped. Aluminium has several scrap gradings, and with the stupidity of the tariffs the orangutan down south of us is applying, I'd hazard to guess the prices have jumped on all grades.

You do need a substantial amount of any of it to make it worth while, and unless you have somewhere discreet to sort and store it, your yard will look like shit. If you are in a residential neighbourhood, bylaw officers will be by, and you will get a notice to clean up your yard.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4897 posts
2240 upvotes
Mississauga
I put out a broken lawnmower once and it was gone within 15 minutes.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6077 posts
1753 upvotes
BC
Most pickers have the wherewithall to either fix things easily and sell them, or part them out and get easy money on eBay.

A Genie opener, especially if old enough that small mechanical parts are harder to find, could net at least 50USD.

A garage door tech knows this, but it's not worth his time or your money to disassemble an opener. Fix-it people operate on a different level.

Same applies to lawnmowers. Even if well worn out there are usually a few obscure parts worth quite a bit to someone somewhere.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
7962 posts
3885 upvotes
Paris
My local metal guy was injured driving a dump truck and got screwed by his employer/insurance. Its something he can do to make an honest living and when his pain isnt too bad. But its a different living... Rey was a scrap dealer.
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
26280 posts
4560 upvotes
Hamilton
one man's trash is another man's treasure
$35/5GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
7962 posts
3885 upvotes
Paris
When I was a kid, we used to have “big garbage day” and the whole town put out their unwanted stuff and the whole town went shopping. We were fairly well off, but I remember getting books and all kinds of stuff. The kind of thing you would post in the free section of Kijiji or donate to the restore.

Not long ago I got a shop vac hose in Mississauga near my in laws. They through out the whole unit. Those hoses are 20 bucks plus each, and I was building out my shop dust collector system at the time.
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2702 posts
870 upvotes
Windsor
bobor wrote: I left an old Genesis garage door opener by the curb and like the installer said, someone had taken it with a few days.

What do people do with this? It wasnt working and had no controllers.

Are there places that take this for cash? How doing get in on this :p I googled acrap for cash but got only scrap yards that take old cars
You underestimate how hard-up people are for cash.

I have a reasonably good friend who is waiting until his fullsize van dies before he stops recycling stuff. He does it "full time" (at least 40 hours per week, by his admission) and reckons he makes about $60/day after fuel, ignoring vehicle maintenance and insurance. That's around $15,000/year (cash, admittedly), and he repairs/parts out stuff and sells on Kijiji/eBay.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Aug 22, 2009
548 posts
127 upvotes
Guelph, ON
Before throwing big things away, I always put it to the curb and post it for free on Kijiji first. It seems that people are willing to take anything, no matter how badly it is broken -- I haven't had to throw away anything I've posted. It's worth the small effort to post the Kijiji ad to prevent items from going to the landfill, and also to help someone else out who can use it in some way :-) Sometimes I give away perfectly-good things if it's worth under $50 just because I can't be bothered with having to deal with a sale.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
2566 posts
863 upvotes
VifferFun wrote: Before throwing big things away, I always put it to the curb and post it for free on Kijiji first. It seems that people are willing to take anything, no matter how badly it is broken -- I haven't had to throw away anything I've posted. It's worth the small effort to post the Kijiji ad to prevent items from going to the landfill, and also to help someone else out who can use it in some way :-) Sometimes I give away perfectly-good things if it's worth under $50 just because I can't be bothered with having to deal with a sale.
Same here. All the local FB buy/sell/trade pages that have popped up now are helpful too. Just like here on RFD, free is a magical word and people always take the items. I used to try and sell things for cheap, but now I just do free to get rid of things ASAP instead of having something sit around for weeks to get 50bucks for it.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
3611 posts
1044 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
I cut down some tree branches sand logs, on Monday and left them on the curb for Friday's pickup. Some guy who repairs screen doors out of the back of his truck was fixing someones screen door, and he was loading up his truck with my tree branches, by the time friday comes around, there will be nothing for the City Garbage truck to pickup, haha
Hi