Entertainment

Old (M Night Shyamalan starts filming latest twisty mystery/thriller "trip")

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 27th, 2021 11:26 pm
12 replies
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4579 upvotes
Montréal
jenviea wrote:

https://deadline.com/2020/09/m-night-sh ... 234585776/

I feel many were disappointed/angry at Glass
Many ppl have bad taste re Glass as they are used to 10M explosions and protagonists joking around w each other while effortlessly destroying countless evil robots and other silly nonsense. Glass represents a stark and sobering 'reality' that couldn't be accepted by the brainwashed masses, much like his other unjustly maligned film, The Village.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13273 posts
2495 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
tranquility922 wrote: Many ppl have bad taste re Glass as they are used to 10M explosions and protagonists joking around w each other while effortlessly destroying countless evil robots and other silly nonsense.
I would have thought that people who were disappointed with Glass would have seen the previous movies and knew not to expect The Avengers.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4579 upvotes
Montréal
rabbit wrote: I would have thought that people who were disappointed with Glass would have seen the previous movies and knew not to expect The Avengers.
You would think, but they were maybe unconsciously conditioned and expected some kinda major payoff a la Avengers and didn't like how it turned out.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10596 posts
2972 upvotes
Winnipeg
tranquility922 wrote: Many ppl have bad taste re Glass as they are used to 10M explosions and protagonists joking around w each other while effortlessly destroying countless evil robots and other silly nonsense. Glass represents a stark and sobering 'reality' that couldn't be accepted by the brainwashed masses, much like his other unjustly maligned film, The Village.
Glass was part of a trilogy that took too long to get done. That was the reason for its less than stellar response. It needed to be done in shorter time frame like under 5-10 not 25 years. It lost its audience due to attrition.

Honestly when he was at peak hype which garnished Unbreakable. He should have leveraged a contract for Unbreakable and Split to be filmed together or back to back with the secret twist connection at the end of split. Then film Glass and it would have done much better. The only reason it got made at all was split did well and the MCU hype for the genre. So you kinda have to thank MCUs popularity for the genre for it garnishing investment backing at all.Plus disney owned the rights to the Unbreakable character and gave him the opportunity to do it and use old scenes from unbreakable.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 20, 2020
5682 posts
5903 upvotes
Toronto
The New Trailer For M. Night Shyamalan’s ‘Old’ Is Creepy As Heck

Old
In Theaters July 23
https://www.old.movie

This summer, visionary filmmaker M. Night Shyamalan unveils a chilling, mysterious new thriller about a family on a tropical holiday who discover that the secluded beach where they are relaxing for a few hours is somehow causing them to age rapidly … reducing their entire lives into a single day.

The film stars an impressive international cast including Golden Globe winner Gael García Bernal (Amazon’s Mozart in the Jungle), Vicky Krieps (Phantom Thread), Rufus Sewell (Amazon’s The Man in the High Castle), Ken Leung (Star Wars: Episode VII—The Force Awakens), Nikki Amuka-Bird (Jupiter Ascending), Abbey Lee (HBO’s Lovecraft Country), Aaron Pierre (Syfy’s Krypton), Alex Wolff (Hereditary), Embeth Davidtz (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo), Eliza Scanlen (Little Women), Emun Elliott (Star Wars: Episode VII—The Force Awakens), Kathleen Chalfant (Showtime’s The Affair) and Thomasin McKenzie (Jojo Rabbit).

Old is a Blinding Edge Pictures production, directed and produced by M. Night Shyamalan, from his screenplay based on the graphic novel Sandcastle by Pierre Oscar Lévy and Frederik Peeters. The film is also produced by Ashwin Rajan (Glass, AppleTV+’s Servant) and Marc Bienstock (Glass, Split). The film’s executive producer is Steven Schneider.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
22099 posts
3318 upvotes
Toronto
Sixth Sense & Unbreakable are Shymalalalalallala's finest.....

The Village was ok too, I should watch the Mel Gibson one since crazy Mel is a fave of mine.........

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
6376 posts
3211 upvotes
Global Village
ji2o0k wrote: Sixth Sense & Unbreakable are Shymalalalalallala's finest.....

The Village was ok too, I should watch the Mel Gibson one since crazy Mel is a fave of mine.........
Signs is definitely worth watching.
All day I dream about sports
Deal Fanatic
Jun 20, 2020
5682 posts
5903 upvotes
Toronto
lead wrote: Glass was part of a trilogy that took too long to get done. That was the reason for its less than stellar response. It needed to be done in shorter time frame like under 5-10 not 25 years. It lost its audience due to attrition.

Honestly when he was at peak hype which garnished Unbreakable. He should have leveraged a contract for Unbreakable and Split to be filmed together or back to back with the secret twist connection at the end of split. Then film Glass and it would have done much better. The only reason it got made at all was split did well and the MCU hype for the genre. So you kinda have to thank MCUs popularity for the genre for it garnishing investment backing at all.Plus disney owned the rights to the Unbreakable character and gave him the opportunity to do it and use old scenes from unbreakable.
Recent article on Unbreakable and Split connection

M. Night Shyamalan Hid One Twist From The Studio And It Left Executives ‘Completely Flummoxed’ After He Screened It
https://www.cinemablend.com/news/257090 ... uce-willis