• Nov 2nd, 2020 5:59 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2002
2350 posts
872 upvotes
Central Ontario

Re: Old Mill Cadillac; Be Very Wary Of This Dealership

The extended warranty came with terms & conditions. It is the buyer's responsibility to read and understand them. None of what you've said seems out of the ordinary for a third-party extended warranty.

Edit: and before anybody accuses me to defending the dealership, I would never buy a GM product in a million years... also wouldn't buy a third-party car warranty either.
16 replies
Nov 22, 2017
912 posts
645 upvotes
Lesson learned be wary of buying car warranties.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3664 posts
807 upvotes
You should only buy oem warranty, easier to call oem ans argue that dealership is mental
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
7576 posts
5740 upvotes
Ottawa
I think the name of the warranty provider is more useful than the name of the dealership. Like the majority here (you will find), I find that aftermarket warranties (ie those not underwritten by the car manufacturer itself) are poor purchases - as the restrictions are awful, there is usually a deductible, you definitely have to pay for the diagnosis (it might be refunded), and the companies do their best to find ways to not provide warranty coverage as pay-outs have a way of eating into their profits.

Used car dealerships push these because they make a profit at the time of the sale of the car if they can tack on a warranty and they also have a habit of over-representing the usefulness of these warranty. They know better but the sales/finance guy gets an incentive for a sale so they push them. Some dealerships are softer-sell on these than others but most do offer them and they know better. So -1 for Old Mill for selling the warranty in the first instance.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8179 posts
5091 upvotes
Mississauga
It’s well known that third-party extended warranties are crap. Go factory or don’t bother.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
2449 posts
3245 upvotes
Barrie, ON
If it's not a factory warranty, you're pissing $$$ away.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
7576 posts
5740 upvotes
Ottawa
Nobody I know would buy a third party warranty because they are usually expensive and the companies don't care if you are happy with them or the vehicle. There is every incentive for them to deny a claim and there is only a legal incentive for them to accept it. If they can legally say no, they will.

It is equally not unusual for buyers of cars to believe that "bumper to bumper" covers everything. It does not. Although most factory warranties do cover wheel bearings for example, extended ones often do not. Plus, extended warranties usually do not cover shock absorbers, springs, and struts but they might cover ball joints and bushings. It really can be a crap shoot - and frusrating for people who don't know much about cars. Ironically, it is usually those same people who buy these aftermarket extended warranties.

Sad all around.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15502 posts
10121 upvotes
Toronto
RubiconX wrote: This big dealership is at the intersection of Jane/St.Clain Ave W. They sell people "bumper to bumper, full-cover extended warranties" and then when you go there with a problem they charge you $180 just to check the car and tell you if it's covered by the warranty or not. If it's a cosmetic defect they tell you their warranty doesn't cover it. If it's an engine or tranny problem they will tell you that you were "careless" and their warranty has an exclusion for "negligence". My brother bought the extended warranty on his 2018 Camaro (5 years) and there was a problem with it just 2 weeks later. Of course he got charged the $180 just to be told his front noise problem was not covered under his $2,000 extended warranty that he was upsold.

Searching on Google Reviews I found this case similar to his from another customer;
Diag fee is mandatory and if the issue if found to be that of said part covered under warranty would be waived. Front end noise is probably wear and tear and therefore, not covered under any warranty. FYI, bumper to bumper warranty doesn't cover wear/tear. Your brother should actually consult the warranty documentation before crying to you and you preaching to rfd. I don't see any issue with this. Your brother should have also received a GM warranty card, looks like a debit card if it was a GM extended warranty.

$2000 extended warranty may also not cover electrical and only power train. I had a job getting a full AC replacement with an extended warranty.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15502 posts
10121 upvotes
Toronto
RubiconX wrote: Warranties are a sham. I mean, look at it this way; dealerships/manufacturers want you to change the oil and do maintenance with them on a very constant basis so your warranty won't be "voided". If I do my oil changes regularly and do constant maintenance there would be no reason to have a warranty for anything. The vehicle will go 300,000 km no problem. Yeah, even GM vehicles.

For a 2018 Camaro to have front noise (bearings?) and at only 22,000 km its the dealerships responsibility, they sold my brother a malfunctioning vehicle. How did it passed the safety certificate issued by their mechanics? I makes you wonder.....
Extended warranties are not shams. I had one and I used the hell out of it to replace my transfer case 3 times along with a full AC replacement. There's different levels of extended warranties and people that do not know what they are buying complain when they think everything is covered when in fact it is not just because they got an extended warranty. It's simple, read before you buy it to know and understand what is covered and what is not. You don't listen to what a dealer asks you to do with oil changes, you follow that manufactures specification which is detailed in your owners manual. Dealerships are out to make money, telling you to get an oil change done by them every 5000kms is a where they make money. Dealers make nothing on new car sales in comparison to what the service dept brings the dealership. A dealer will never tell you that your warranty is void because you didn't do you oil change through them. If they are, it's a scare tacit to get you back into the service bay. You can DYI oil changes, keep receipts and your warranty is fine. Bring it to Bruce the Goose automotive and it's still warrantied.

As for the issue regarding passing a safety, you would be surprised if you understand the SSC process. Google that and you'll be happy you educated yourself to answer that very question.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
18341 posts
5963 upvotes
London
RubiconX wrote: Warranties are a sham. I mean, look at it this way; dealerships/manufacturers want you to change the oil and do maintenance with them on a very constant basis so your warranty won't be "voided". If I do my oil changes regularly and do constant maintenance there would be no reason to have a warranty for anything. The vehicle will go 300,000 km no problem. Yeah, even GM vehicles.

For a 2018 Camaro to have front noise (bearings?) and at only 22,000 km its the dealerships responsibility, they sold my brother a malfunctioning vehicle. How did it passed the safety certificate issued by their mechanics? I makes you wonder.....
2018 should still be covered under the original factory GM bumper-bumper warranty, not an extended 3rd party warranty ?
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2011
2180 posts
2379 upvotes
Toronto
koffey wrote: Diag fee is mandatory and if the issue if found to be that of said part covered under warranty would be waived. Front end noise is probably wear and tear and therefore, not covered under any warranty. FYI, bumper to bumper warranty doesn't cover wear/tear. Your brother should actually consult the warranty documentation before crying to you and you preaching to rfd. I don't see any issue with this. Your brother should have also received a GM warranty card, looks like a debit card if it was a GM extended warranty.

$2000 extended warranty may also not cover electrical and only power train. I had a job getting a full AC replacement with an extended warranty.
This

OP putting this place on blast for what?
2013 Wins - $1320 - Woohoo!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2002
2350 posts
872 upvotes
Central Ontario
xjesterxx wrote: This

OP putting this place on blast for what?
Because everything is always somebody else’s fault... don’t read your warranty terms, don’t understand what is actually covered- blame somebody else.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15502 posts
10121 upvotes
Toronto
OP got the banhammer, not a shock. lol
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
32909 posts
14623 upvotes
JustMike wrote: The extended warranty came with terms & conditions. It is the buyer's responsibility to read and understand them.
Wait wait, hold on... So you're saying if I go buy a car I need to read the terms and conditions of something? And you mean there's terms... And conditions to begin with?

Get outta here! That is totally crazy to expect a car buyer would have to read and also that there would be these "terms and conditions" of sale--this almost sounds like a contract! I mean they make you sign 10 papers, amirite? Who has time for reading anything they sign?

LOL. Jokes aside something seems wrong with this thread. Is OP actually the OP? It seems almost as if there's a post missing here? :confused:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2002
2350 posts
872 upvotes
Central Ontario
OP was banned and somehow I became the 1st post, which was actually a reply to the 1st.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
32909 posts
14623 upvotes
JustMike wrote: OP was banned and somehow I became the 1st post, which was actually a reply to the 1st.
Oh that's super weird, usually their post remains and then it just shows them as banned. Maybe their post was also deleted, which you'd think would delete the entire thread but maybe not!