• May 23rd, 2021 7:40 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2012
3900 posts
549 upvotes
Toronto

Older Routers - What to do?

I have about 4 or 5 older routers. Tried listing them for like $10 each on FB Marketplace with no bites.

Any ideas on what to do with them?

Thanks!
19 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
1723 posts
1216 upvotes
cessnabmw wrote: I have about 4 or 5 older routers. Tried listing them for like $10 each on FB Marketplace with no bites.

Thanks!
Take the power adapters that plug into the router, those can be reused for other electronics if you find the exact Amp requirements. Then e-waste the rest of the router. Unless you need a dedicated router to make it into a switch. Some older routers cannot give you max speeds for wired internet with today's faster internet packages.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8426 posts
3006 upvotes
Maple
List in BST Free to people, they will be gone.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4472 posts
4634 upvotes
GTA
evilYoda wrote: Take the power adapters that plug into the router, those can be reused for other electronics if you find the exact Amp requirements. Then e-waste the rest of the router. Unless you need a dedicated router to make it into a switch. Some older routers cannot give you max speeds for wired internet with today's faster internet packages.
This is what I have used them for. Also good as a wireless repeater to give yourself more wireless coverage in your place of residence, unless they are so old they aren't wireless or are lower than wireless G or N. Then the third option is tie them together and make a boat anchor.
But honestly, I would just keep listing them, maybe put them on Kijiji also. Things might sell at the most random times, and it's free to post. You could even offer them all, for example $20, if you want to get rid of them and make a few bucks. Might be a better deal for someone then.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10674 posts
3074 upvotes
Winnipeg
switches or wireless bridges. Ac routers as wireless bridges aren't half bad as the tend to have more rx/tx power and better atennas than built in.
Feb 15, 2007
987 posts
308 upvotes
Pickering
Use them as a switch, repeater, etc. Beyond that, file 13.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
1467 posts
431 upvotes
45.467253°N, 75.5123…
cessnabmw wrote: I have about 4 or 5 older routers. Tried listing them for like $10 each on FB Marketplace with no bites.

Thanks!

Would you mind listing here what you have? Some of us don't need the latest and greatest
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2006
1220 posts
736 upvotes
GTA
wally_walrus wrote:
Would you mind listing here what you have? Some of us don't need the latest and greatest
Can I jump in on this action? I have a Cisco Linksys E3200 and a WRT160N I’m trying to get rid off. PM if interested.
"Just because something is on sale doesn't mean a) you can afford it, b) you should buy it, c) you need it, d) you're not spending far more buying it than not buying it at all"
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1399 posts
968 upvotes
Vancouver
Mine bitcoin on em :D
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
15958 posts
2575 upvotes
If a router is no longer receiving security updates, it's time to recycle it. Giving an insecure device to someone who doesn't know any better isn't doing them any favors.
Automatic down-votes: D-Link, TP-Link, Newegg, Canada Computers, any Chinese-owned cellphone, laptop or IoT device.
Sep 12, 2008
142 posts
62 upvotes
Canada
You could always flash them with one of the free, open-source firmwares,
such as Tomato, or Merlin. Both make the stock firmware look like a child's toy.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
2053 posts
906 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario

Thanks!
I usually use them as switches or access points until they are so obsolete there is nothing left but to recycle. Sometimes the router gives out first, sometimes the power adapter. But when one goes, the other is sure to follow shortly.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2012
3900 posts
549 upvotes
Toronto
wally_walrus wrote: Would you mind listing here what you have? Some of us don't need the latest and greatest
Here's what I have:

DLink Gigabit Switch - DGS-1005D
NetGear N300 WiFi Router WNR2000v5
NetGear Wireless N 150 Router WNR1000 v2
NetGear WiFi Range Extender WN2000RPT
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
4548 posts
1473 upvotes
Vancity
Use them as switches if their power usage isn't too high. e.g., a dedicated green switch may require 3W to operate, but a re-purposed old router may require 15W. That 12W difference adds up. Probably like a $10 difference in electricity per year. Use a power usage measuring device like a Kill-a-Watt to measure.
signature closed for renovation
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6813 posts
3798 upvotes
Mississauga
I've got an old Asus RT-N66U doing gigabit switch duty no problem.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4472 posts
4634 upvotes
GTA
cessnabmw wrote: Here's what I have:

DLink Gigabit Switch - DGS-1005D
NetGear N300 WiFi Router WNR2000v5
NetGear Wireless N 150 Router WNR1000 v2
NetGear WiFi Range Extender WN2000RPT
You only have 2 routers listed. You also have a decent switch (gigabit speed), plus a wireless N range extender that also seems to act as a wired switch. No need to convert the routers to a switch or range extender then.
You can try to get rid of the two routers, they are redundant unless you need a router. I wouldn't be surprised you're not getting a lot of traffic as they are older.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27969 posts
13600 upvotes
*laughs in pfSense*
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 18, 2012
9960 posts
4686 upvotes
Toronto
I'm guessing WRT54G's are too old to even sell?
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2172 posts
1178 upvotes
London
mrweather wrote: I've got an old Asus RT-N66U doing gigabit switch duty no problem.
So much of this is application specific.
What works for one, may not for others.
I was slightly shocked by "old Asus RT-N66U".
I use one every day (as a router) and it serves my purposes well.
ManCaveGamer wrote: I'm guessing WRT54G's are too old to even sell?
Probably they are too old to sell, but if you have one they aren't necessarily useless.
I have one I use as a switch.
I have another I just keep handy and configure as a switch, bridge, or whatever I might need in the moment,
Both run Tomato.

I know of one still in active service.
Slow speed WISP.
Customer has no high bandwidth LAN requirements.
There just is no need for anything more, and it still works just fine.