Shopping Discussion

OLG Gift Card - Retailer Refused To Give Me Receipt / Points On Transaction

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2020 5:36 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 16, 2004
23701 posts
11818 upvotes
Toronto

OLG Gift Card - Retailer Refused To Give Me Receipt / Points On Transaction

OLG Gift Card users, you ever hear of this one?
IMG_20200718_150057~2.jpg
.

So it's not unique for some retailers to give out points with lottery transactions - Esso being one of them - but today, when trying to use the OLG Gift Card as payment, the clerk cancelled the entire transaction on their register and did not give me a receipt. They said no points can be given.

They still processed the gift card, I still got my ticket, but I got no points and no record of the transaction.

I'm having A LOT of issues redeeming this card. Generally, confusion about how to redeem the card and processing the transaction.
Anyone else?

6015 Leslie St. (near McNicoll) did this

FYI: As per OLG's rules, they would like you to have your receipt should you win a large amount, it's in the rules. It helps to prove that you are the owner of the ticket.
Last edited by DaVibe on Jul 18th, 2020 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RedFlagDeals Addict - 2008 Nominee for Most Helpful User
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 31, 2006
7910 posts
2279 upvotes
Toronto
Same as SDM, you buy lottery using GC, CC, Debit, or cash NO Points will be awarded.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 16, 2004
23701 posts
11818 upvotes
Toronto
cgtlky wrote: Same as SDM, you buy lottery using GC, CC, Debit, or cash NO Points will be awarded.
Well aware. That's why I said SOME retailers give out points (like Esso). SDM is not one of those retailers.

Pro Tip: SDM gift cards can purchase anything in-store. Only thing stopping you is if the store itself has decided to not accept the gift card for this transaction, head office won't help.
Trust me, I've been buying lottery collecting points / rewards for years.
RedFlagDeals Addict - 2008 Nominee for Most Helpful User
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
Sr. Member
Jan 17, 2013
770 posts
365 upvotes
DaVibe wrote: OLG Gift Card users, you ever hear of this one?

IMG_20200718_150057~2.jpg.

So it's not unique for some retailers to give out points with lottery transactions - Esso being one of them - but today, when trying to use the OLG Gift Card as payment, the clerk cancelled the entire transaction on their register and did not give me a receipt. They said no points can be given.

They still processed the gift card, I still got my ticket, but I got no points and no record of the transaction.

I'm having A LOT of issues redeeming this card. Generally, confusion about how to redeem the card and processing the transaction.
Anyone else?

6015 Leslie St. (near McNicoll) did this

FYI: As per OLG's rules, they would like you to have your receipt should you win a large amount, it's in the rules. It helps to prove that you are the owner of the ticket.
You should have return the ticket to them and get your money back. No receipt, no sale.

Not getting points from lottery purchase is normal with most other stores.
Sr. Member
Jan 17, 2013
770 posts
365 upvotes
cgtlky wrote: Same as SDM, you buy lottery using GC, CC, Debit, or cash NO Points will be awarded.
Also London Drugs, no points (visits) for lottery purchase. For that matter, items like tobacco, cigarettes, bus pass (previously when it was sold), etc do not qualify for points (visits in the case of London Drugs)
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 16, 2004
23701 posts
11818 upvotes
Toronto
stack21 wrote: You should have return the ticket to them and get your money back. No receipt, no sale.

Not getting points from lottery purchase is normal with most other stores.
I was in a hurry and there was a line. Trust me, the thought crossed my mind.

And yes, I understand that most retailers do not give points, but Esso does, as do a few others. I've done this for years and so have other lottery players.
RedFlagDeals Addict - 2008 Nominee for Most Helpful User
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22397 posts
21021 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
DaVibe wrote: I was in a hurry and there was a line. Trust me, the thought crossed my mind.

And yes, I understand that most retailers do not give points, but Esso does, as do a few others. I've done this for years and so have other lottery players.
I can attest to the fact that there are some Retailers who give / gave Loyalty Points / Miles when purchasing Lottery Tkts (not part of their T&Cs EXCLUSION Lists)

Gas Stations ... the usual suspects

Both, Esso & PetroCanada give out points with Lottery purchases
Shell used to (AirMiles) ... but recently changed their policy

I think the issue here ... is using the GC as a form of payment

Form of payment SHOULDNT MATTER

But it seems the Esso you went to wants to BYPASS the system some how
(Lol, another case of a Local Franchise making up their own rules )

Ya, I would be ticked too

Esp as their workaround seems to leave you without a receipt

My best advice ... read thru the T&Cs to make sure there’s been no recent change
https://www.essoextra.com/pages/program_rules.aspx

And after that contact the Program to complain about this particular franchise

Good luck & keep us posted
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
2817 posts
3341 upvotes
Langley
DaVibe wrote:
FYI: As per OLG's rules, they would like you to have your receipt should you win a large amount, it's in the rules. It helps to prove that you are the owner of the ticket.
Can you point to where is says that?
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 16, 2004
23701 posts
11818 upvotes
Toronto
Dreamrider wrote: Can you point to where is says that?
Win a big prize and go through the process ;)
Haha yeah sure, I will find it for you but it's on the OLG website.

When you win big, you have to tell them as much as you can. Where you bought it, how you paid, what did you buy, etc.

Edit: So here's the big prize page, which just generally discusses you will have a 1-on-1 interview and you'll need to speak to where the ticket came from, who bought it, things of that nature.
RedFlagDeals Addict - 2008 Nominee for Most Helpful User
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 16, 2004
23701 posts
11818 upvotes
Toronto
Just as a follow-up, OLG wouldn't comment on points programs with retailers and paying with a gift card, but they submitted a complaint.

Esso didn't see anything wrong with the transaction and awarded me the missing points and submitted a complaint.

Seems like business as usual. Esso points continue.
RedFlagDeals Addict - 2008 Nominee for Most Helpful User
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8639 posts
2288 upvotes
I think its one of those situations where I wouldn't expect points as the system is setup in a way that its hard to process the points?

If it was a OLG issued GC, I can under the point of view of the cashier. I believe those get processed on the OLG terminal directly. So once it's paid, the reciept showing the balance of the GC comes from the OLG terminal and not ESSO.

So, how would they process this type of transaction on the ESSO terminal afterwards...its technically zero-ed as no payment needs to be taken on the esso terminal

Have you done this at other essos or just the one?

.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 16, 2004
23701 posts
11818 upvotes
Toronto
EPcjay wrote: I think its one of those situations where I wouldn't expect points as the system is setup in a way that its hard to process the points?

If it was a OLG issued GC, I can under the point of view of the cashier. I believe those get processed on the OLG terminal directly. So once it's paid, the reciept showing the balance of the GC comes from the OLG terminal and not ESSO.

So, how would they process this type of transaction on the ESSO terminal afterwards...its technically zero-ed as no payment needs to be taken on the esso terminal

Have you done this at other essos or just the one?

.
I've done this for years now actually. More recently, paying with the OLG gift card.
They redeem the gift card in the OLG terminal, but they put in the ticket on their register and put in that a payment is made. Hasn't been an issue all this time, first location to actually refuse my transaction.

They can't run it through the OLG terminal ONLY, they still need to show that I made a purchase at Esso and my transaction was at their store, that's why it has to go through their terminal and I need a receipt. This isn't a convenience store, this is Esso gas.

This is a non-issue, it was just one retailer who was making up their own rules.
RedFlagDeals Addict - 2008 Nominee for Most Helpful User
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
Member
Jul 31, 2008
242 posts
73 upvotes
Have an OLG card at $50 and then buy $10 ... Clerk scans gift card in OLG machine
In all cases, you should be given OLG receipt showing 50 beginning balance
less 10 ... leaving 40 ending balance (others have mentioned - easy part)

To get the points for the 10 dollars ... it's on a different POS system (everyone agrees - this is hard part)

I have tried this once using the OLG card last year at a Petro Can.
The reason it was once - clerk who I've bought gas and other items in the past
including petro mobility cards when they were popular
explained to me they don't accept them but he did once as a favour and showed me
it's a PIA to reconcile OLG card $10 purchase within their internal POS system.

Remember, on their POS system this is actually a zero dollar transaction
since payment made directly to their OLG system not their POS system.
What he did is create a $10 credit as if I won 10 dollars from the OLG side and
applied it to their POS system against buying the same $10 lottery (net is zero).

The irony is if one had an actual winning ticket and used against purchase that gave out points (incl gas)
Points will be awarded since both systems (OLG + internal POS) identify winning ticket amount as a credit.

Bought $50 OLG card - get 10K PC points + additional CC points from card purchase (practically guaranteed).
Trying for the additional 1% in gas points - comes with no guarantee (of course, if this was easier everyone would do it).

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)