• Jun 2nd, 2019 1:46 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
18461 posts
1705 upvotes

Olympic Village Families Demand a New School

https://www.citynews1130.com/2019/05/11 ... c-village/

The Olympic Village area is part of the Vancouver 2010 legacy and is now a trendy place with expensive condos. Now some of the residences are complaining that the Vancouver School Board should build a school for their children in the area. These whiners wanted a trendy shiny new neighbourhood with all the best "foodie" places and easy access to downtown and now they complain that they want a new school?! They obviously made the wrong choices.

Vancouver school enrollment has been dropping for years with 10,000 empty seats now and another drop of 2,300 predicted by 2027.
https://www.citynews1130.com/2019/04/12 ... -closures/

And these idiots want our tax money to build yet another underused school just because they wanted to live in a desirable location near the heart of the city?! They should just send their kids to a private school that has pick up and drop off offered.

Yes, I do not have children but if I plan on having any, I'd make sure I picked a location that works for me.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
40 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3456 posts
236 upvotes
Adelaide
I mean, I didn't even realise its possible for your kid to not be accepted into the local catchment school which seems to be the case here.

Maybe I am looking to move into that area and want to do some research. I end up at the Vancouver school board website where they show me a school locator tool. I put in my street and there is this nice elementary school close by, great! At no point is there any indication of "oh by the way, your kids may not actually be able to go to this school despite us specifically indicating that this is the school you will be expected to go to".

It would be one thing if they just thought the local school wasn't any good and wanted a new school, but at least from the article it just seem like that is the case. That said, probably smarter to just throw up some portables at the current local school to expand that ones capacity.

I am curious how who gets in is even decided. Sounds like siblings get in automatically which makes sense, but is the rest a lottery?
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1370 posts
259 upvotes
BongoBong wrote:
May 12th, 2019 4:10 am
I mean, I didn't even realise its possible for your kid to not be accepted into the local catchment school which seems to be the case here.

Maybe I am looking to move into that area and want to do some research. I end up at the Vancouver school board website where they show me a school locator tool. I put in my street and there is this nice elementary school close by, great! At no point is there any indication of "oh by the way, your kids may not actually be able to go to this school despite us specifically indicating that this is the school you will be expected to go to".

It would be one thing if they just thought the local school wasn't any good and wanted a new school, but at least from the article it just seem like that is the case. That said, probably smarter to just throw up some portables at the current local school to expand that ones capacity.

I am curious how who gets in is even decided. Sounds like siblings get in automatically which makes sense, but is the rest a lottery?
Happens here all the time, take a drive down sheppard from mcowan rd to don mills rd and where they are building condos you'll see a big white tdsb sign attached to the fence surrouding the condo getting built stating pretty much that if you move in the condo your kid may not be going to the local school in the neighborhood since it's already rammed.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
10517 posts
1637 upvotes
Toronto
I'm a parent of a JK and 3 year old. Glad to see these whiny parents be inconvenienced. Got to do your research before you decide to spawn.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4467 posts
1292 upvotes
Toronto
shawn01 wrote:
May 12th, 2019 9:35 am
Happens here all the time, take a drive down sheppard from mcowan rd to don mills rd and where they are building condos you'll see a big white tdsb sign attached to the fence surrouding the condo getting built stating pretty much that if you move in the condo your kid may not be going to the local school in the neighborhood since it's already rammed.
Pick any main street in North York, really. Same sign at all of the new condo developments on or around Yonge between Sheppard and Finch.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
40567 posts
4357 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Manatus wrote:
May 12th, 2019 12:57 pm
Pick any main street in North York, really. Same sign at all of the new condo developments on or around Yonge between Sheppard and Finch.
Thats unfortunate.
Because the decision to live in urban centers can actually benefit family life.

I know this fact annoys people... but Toronto is the economic center of Canada where many of the high paying jobs and even just jobs in general are concentrated.

Most people work here, and living near work means less commute time. Therefore having more time to spend with family.

Housing is expensive and condos are an alternative.
But wait... when people say “real estate is too expensive” then ppl yell at them “well you arent entitled to a single detached in downtown! Just get a condo if you cant afford it!”
So they do... and now they’re stuck in this situation.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7597 posts
680 upvotes
8 minutes from Vanco…
OP you sound like you have some serious anger issues and clearly are jealous of those who can live close to or near downtown Vancouver.

Not everyone wants to live in dumps like surrey and abbottsford

Having spent a lot of time in portables in Toronto area 1950s era schools, it sucks. It’s depressing and kids deserve better.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
18461 posts
1705 upvotes
BongoBong wrote:
May 12th, 2019 4:10 am

Schools in the downtown area were never really big. They have a certain capacity and that's it. Teachers fought for smaller classrooms and well, this is where we end up. The VSB is contending with a tight budge to run schools at 82% capacity. They can't afford to build another school when there are so many spaces available in other neighbourhoods. Putting in portables and hiring teachers is not a cost effective way to school maybe 100 or 200 students in the Olympic Village. I have former classmates who are now teachers who live in Vancouver and now teach in Delta or Surrey. The students are out there now.
GangStarr wrote:
May 12th, 2019 1:45 pm
OP you sound like you have some serious anger issues and clearly are jealous of those who can live close to or near downtown Vancouver.

Not everyone wants to live in dumps like surrey and abbottsford

Having spent a lot of time in portables in Toronto area 1950s era schools, it sucks. It’s depressing and kids deserve better.
And you are clearly presumptuous.

Sure, I'm annoyed that people who make poor decision and then ask for my tax money to pay for said poor decision. I live in a single detached home in Vancouver 8 minutes from downtown, 3 blocks from an elementary school and 6 blocks from a high school. Prices for their 2 bedroom Olympic Village condos start at $800,000 while single detached homes in my area start at around $1.2m. They can always find a condo or town home for $800,000 in Vancouver areas with schools that have lots of space.

This is part of a bigger problem. The government allows developers to keep building and thinking density is the answer to all the housing problems. Then everyone gets all blinded by shiny new buildings near all their favourite amenities and forgets about the rest of the infrastructure. School, roads, hospitals, fire departments, policing, sewage capacities, roads, transit, water supply, etc...

I have friends who moved out of downtown once they started planning to have kids. Family who lived by Burrard and Davie for years until they had kids and... moved to Richmond Hill. Myself, I've never felt a need to be downtown as I need to be in Burnaby, Richmond and downtown weekly so I've stayed in the same area for decades.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7597 posts
680 upvotes
8 minutes from Vanco…
Haz wrote:
Schools in the downtown area were never really big. They have a certain capacity and that's it. Teachers fought for smaller classrooms and well, this is where we end up. The VSB is contending with a tight budge to run schools at 82% capacity. They can't afford to build another school when there are so many spaces available in other neighbourhoods. Putting in portables and hiring teachers is not a cost effective way to school maybe 100 or 200 students in the Olympic Village. I have former classmates who are now teachers who live in Vancouver and now teach in Delta or Surrey. The students are out there now.

And you are clearly presumptuous.

Sure, I'm annoyed that people who make poor decision and then ask for my tax money to pay for said poor decision. I live in a single detached home in Vancouver 8 minutes from downtown, 3 blocks from an elementary school and 6 blocks from a high school. Prices for their 2 bedroom Olympic Village condos start at $800,000 while single detached homes in my area start at around $1.2m. They can always find a condo or town home for $800,000 in Vancouver areas with schools that have lots of space.

This is part of a bigger problem. The government allows developers to keep building and thinking density is the answer to all the housing problems. Then everyone gets all blinded by shiny new buildings near all their favourite amenities and forgets about the rest of the infrastructure. School, roads, hospitals, fire departments, policing, sewage capacities, roads, transit, water supply, etc...

I have friends who moved out of downtown once they started planning to have kids. Family who lived by Burrard and Davie for years until they had kids and... moved to Richmond Hill. Myself, I've never felt a need to be downtown as I need to be in Burnaby, Richmond and downtown weekly so I've stayed in the same area for decades.
“Ask for my tax money” oh please. You pay taxes one way or another. You really think you’re taking the hit on building a school.

You can rent in Olympic village for $2000ish a month and many are probably in that situation. Similar to Toronto. Yeah a young couple shacks up doesn’t use condoms and has a kid. You discouraging natural child birth? That’s a problem too and those freeloading kids will he tax payers at some point.

Olympic village is not that glamorous or dense. Most buildings are what 10-15 stories high? Bussing kids for hours is also bad for traffic environment and breeds lazy suburban kids who can’t think for themselves.

Better planning for sure. However I still stand by that kids deserve a decent place to learn. Not the disgusting shi*t holes I had to go school in where you have put on your winter jacket to take a leak and deal with oil heated portables like some ft McMurtry style facility

The biggest scam is hosting the olympics itself but that’s another topic for discussion. ThoVancouver has faired better than many other cities
Last edited by GangStarr on May 12th, 2019 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
7064 posts
3202 upvotes
ON
GangStarr wrote:
May 12th, 2019 3:17 pm
“Ask for my tax money” oh please. You pay taxes one way or another. You really think you’re taking the hit on building a school.

You can rent in Olympic village for $2000ish a month and many are probably in that situation. Similar to Toronto. Yeah a young couple shacks up doesn’t use condoms and has a kid. You discouraging natural child birth? That’s a problem too and those freeloading kids will he tax payers at some point.

Olympic village is not that glamorous or dense. Most buildings are what 10-15 stories high? Bussing kids for hours is also bad for traffic environment and breeds lazy suburban kids who can’t think for themselves.

Better planning for sure. However I still stand by that kids deserve a decent place to learn. Not the disgusting shi*t holes I had to go school in where you have put on your winter jacket to take a leak and deal with oil heated portables like some ft McMurtry style facility

The biggest scam is hosting the olympics itself but that’s another topic for discussion. Thorough Vancouver has faired better than many other cities
Hahahah !!!! WTH do unplanned pregnancies have to do with "natural child birth" ?
Folks need to be able to support and provide for their children, not just pump them out like a factory and make them a source of income.
The kids will have a miserable life and chances they will be able to escape that sort of life and be successful are pretty slim.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7597 posts
680 upvotes
8 minutes from Vanco…
dilligafeh wrote:
Hahahah !!!! WTH do unplanned pregnancies have to do with "natural child birth" ?
Folks need to be able to support and provide for their children, not just pump them out like a factory and make them a source of income.
The kids will have a miserable life and chances they will be able to escape that sort of life and be successful are pretty slim.
So you’re saying parents should somehow fund the building of a school? Or should they be responsible and move to some poorly planned suburb so their kids have access to a school with enough room?

Vancouver should have better planned this out. Bussing kids to suburbs isn’t right. Kids should be close to their schools. This also contributes to quality communities, family life etc

It’s healthy for a young couple to have children. You say you live 8 minutes from downtown in a detached house.Considering it can take 8 minutes to go a few blocks on dunsmuir in the morning you must really live close. So you’re either incredibly successful or one of the lucky ones who bought some shack 20 years ago and is sitting on a gold mine. Guess what that’s not happening any more and def not for next generation.

Even condos in Vancouver are out of reach for most and even if you can afford the mortgage renting makes more sense. 600 sq ft condos at 1.3 million plus maintenance fees and taxes even if you had the 20% congrats on buying a coffin with 80% payments left or you rent for $2000-$2500 rent and move when the building is junk.

Not going to argue with you further but kids deserve schools even if they’re urban. That’s all I’m saying.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3456 posts
236 upvotes
Adelaide
Haz wrote:
May 12th, 2019 2:09 pm
Schools in the downtown area were never really big. They have a certain capacity and that's it. Teachers fought for smaller classrooms and well, this is where we end up. The VSB is contending with a tight budge to run schools at 82% capacity. They can't afford to build another school when there are so many spaces available in other neighbourhoods.
So maybe its time to redo those other areas and providing the capacity where its actually needed.
Putting in portables and hiring teachers is not a cost effective way to school maybe 100 or 200 students in the Olympic Village.

I mean sure, compared to saying too bad go drive an hour each way to get to your "local" elementary we have put you in its not as cheap. But if they government is actually trying to provide the level of service they should it sure as hell would be cheaper than building a new school.
I have former classmates who are now teachers who live in Vancouver and now teach in Delta or Surrey. The students are out there now.
Actually, apparently they are not, as you keep going on about how those further out schools are not at capacity, while the ones in the city are.
Sure, I'm annoyed that people who make poor decision and then ask for my tax money to pay for said poor decision.
Or you know, they are asking for everyone's tax money (including theirs) to be used to provide the level of service the government should be providing.
I live in a single detached home in Vancouver 8 minutes from downtown, 3 blocks from an elementary school and 6 blocks from a high school. Prices for their 2 bedroom Olympic Village condos start at $800,000 while single detached homes in my area start at around $1.2m. They can always find a condo or town home for $800,000 in Vancouver areas with schools that have lots of space.
If you actually live 8 minutes from downtown, and there is room in that elementary schoool, why are these peoples kids not getting sent there? I have no idea what school their kids are getting sent to, but one person is saying an hour each way and your area would be pretty close to these people.
You are right, and nothing wrong with looking to hold them accountable to actually provide the services they should be when they allow this development.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
18461 posts
1705 upvotes
BongoBong wrote:
May 12th, 2019 10:17 pm
So maybe its time to redo those other areas and providing the capacity where its actually needed.

I mean sure, compared to saying too bad go drive an hour each way to get to your "local" elementary we have put you in its not as cheap. But if they government is actually trying to provide the level of service they should it sure as hell would be cheaper than building a new school.
With what looks to be a local recession happening, it's a bad idea.

BongoBong wrote:
Actually, apparently they are not, as you keep going on about how those further out schools are not at capacity, while the ones in the city are.
Delta and Surrey is not Vancouver. Delta and Surrey is overflowing with students and in dire need of more schools and teachers while Vancouver proper have many empty seats.

BongoBong wrote:
If you actually live 8 minutes from downtown, and there is room in that elementary schoool, why are these peoples kids not getting sent there? I have no idea what school their kids are getting sent to, but one person is saying an hour each way and your area would be pretty close to these people.
Many of these parents claim that they have decided to ditch owning a car because of how convenient their location is. Sixteen blocks to the closest available school according to one parent. Probably a good 30 minute walk.

I live an 8 minute drive from downtown. It's too far for people who don't drive apparently.
BongoBong wrote:
You are right, and nothing wrong with looking to hold them accountable to actually provide the services they should be when they allow this development.
Again, not the right time financially. It would be irresponsible to build new schools now.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3456 posts
236 upvotes
Adelaide
Haz wrote:
May 12th, 2019 10:44 pm
With what looks to be a local recession happening, it's a bad idea.
There may be a minor recession seems like a poor excuse to not address real needs. I am not even saying that there legitimately is a major issue here that needs addressing, it's hard to say based on one article and your opinion. But overall, the government should be providing reasonable access to education no matter where you live. In the middle of Vancouver “We’re looking at over a two-hour-a-day commute on bus, just to get her to school,” is not reasonable and that should absolutely be looked into if its not just a one off occurrence.
Delta and Surrey is not Vancouver. Delta and Surrey is overflowing with students and in dire need of more schools and teachers while Vancouver proper have many empty seats.
Then that's a completely separate and unrelated issue, how are they being overflowing out there at all relevant to schools in the city also being at capacity?
Many of these parents claim that they have decided to ditch owning a car because of how convenient their location is. Sixteen blocks to the closest available school according to one parent. Probably a good 30 minute walk. I live an 8 minute drive from downtown. It's too far for people who don't drive apparently.
Why would you expect kids to be driven to school anyways? They should be walking/biking/taking a bus for the most part. Expecting parents to have to drive their kids to and from school every day is ridiculous anyways, and would be terrible for traffic on top. If these people do have options that are a 30 minute walk away, then sure, I would say their complaints are overblown. But that doesn't seem to be the case according to the article you posted.
Again, not the right time financially. It would be irresponsible to build new schools now.
Schools and education need to be done right, and done through the good and bad with a long term view needs to be done. Building a school (if that does make sense) during good times isn't going to change the fact it will need to be running through multiple boom/bust cycles. Basing your long term plans on 'well maybe there is a bit of a bad economy coming in the future' doesn't make sense.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7597 posts
680 upvotes
8 minutes from Vanco…
A 30 minute walk omg the horror. Op I call total bs on you living 8 min from downtown.

I know I said I wouldn’t argue but the smell of bs is so strong.

Cheers from someone who lives zero minutes from downtown van (and isn’t lying)

Bongo bong has some solid opinions