Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
OM Company

36% Off - Online Will and Emergency healthcare plan

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 14th, 2021 6:28 pm
Apr 5, 2017
99 posts
230 upvotes

36% Off - Online Will and Emergency healthcare plan

Deal Link:
Savings:
36% off
Expiry:
March 31, 2020
Retailer:
OM Company
For everyone who has a straightforward situation and looking to create a will. OM company has a 36% off promotion they just posted on their twitter handle for first 300 customers. The code is FINISHNOW.

They have 3 plans

Simple-$57.60 + Tax
Advanced- $86.40 + Tax
Couples- $115.20 + Tax

You could save hundred's of $$$ compared to using a lawyer to create a will. And it includes unlimited online updates.

Depending on your requirement, they offer
  • Name executors and beneficiaries
  • Document your funeral wishes
  • Assign guardians for minor children
  • Design an inheritance plan
  • Create a plan for your pets
  • Leave gifts to your favourite charities
  • Assign an emergency property and financial decision maker
  • Emergency healthcare plan
  • Documents for you and your spouse
  • Mirrored will (beneficiaries and guardians)
This is not for everyone and every situation - Om Company is not a law firm and does not provide legal advice. Using Om is not a substitute for a lawyer's advice. If you require legal advice, consult a licensed lawyer.

Another thread where people have discussed about this company
om-wills-estate-planning-om-online-will ... s-2233460/

Be kind :)
22 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
3167 posts
1209 upvotes
Montreal
nice, my notary charges ~ 550 $ IIRC

too bad they don't offer the service in french
Client at: Tangerine, VoIP.ms, Virgin Mobile
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2017
1328 posts
2363 upvotes
GTA
I don’t get it. If they aren’t a law firm nor do they provide legal advice. Why would I give them money for a legal document knowing that if there is even the smallest of complications that they would be utterly useless? Either pony up for a lawyer or straight up do it yourself?
Jul 20, 2016
294 posts
195 upvotes
Ontario
I've been looking to do this. I have no kids so it will be very straightforward if I pass (edit:)sooner than expected. The living will I need, I don't want to be a burden if anything happens. Thanks op
Last edited by ConceptPro on Mar 15th, 2020 5:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Banned
Jan 31, 2020
188 posts
342 upvotes
ConceptPro wrote: I've been looking to do this. I have no kids so it will be very straightforward if I pass. The living will I need, I don't want to be a burden if anything happens. Thanks op
No burden at all. Leave everything to my family. In return, I have 7 kids that can call you their uncle!!! Winking Face
"I go for the jugular" - Kobe Bryant
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32139 posts
15421 upvotes
Socially Distanced
tfong010 wrote: I don’t get it. If they aren’t a law firm nor do they provide legal advice. Why would I give them money for a legal document knowing that if there is even the smallest of complications that they would be utterly useless? Either pony up for a lawyer or straight up do it yourself?
Pretty much this, we all want to get legal documents done at bargain prices but if you can't know if its done properly then you might end up with worse then nothing, a false sense of security.
A solution to this conundrum would be welcome, if its humanly possible.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Guru
Feb 14, 2006
10084 posts
1418 upvotes
My wife and I used this to temporarily have something in place in case something happens.

We still decided it's best to revisit in a few years with a lawyer to draft our wills.
Oct 16, 2018
55 posts
58 upvotes
Thank you @rayjai for the post and becoming a customer!

I'm with OmCompany.com so will try my best to answer this from a viewpoint of the consumer

A lawyer's fees, including, advice can range wildly. For those that need advice, a lawyer is the best way to go. Handwriting a will (holographic will) is another option, you can find books and guides online, but the likelihood of errors are higher. Software companies like Om Company worked with lawyers to develop a cheaper option which allows people to self-generate their own documents using a better digital experience. The benefits of the service is that for a fraction of the time and cost you can generate documents that are legally valid once executed within minutes. Documents are designed to be human-readable, avoiding unnecessary legalese so people have a higher level of comfort generating their own documents and actually understanding what they have drafted.

There is a large market of people who fall within the gradient of "figure it out on your own" and "visiting a lawyer", and Om Company has been used by thousands of Canadians with a very high degree of satisfaction. At the end of the day, it is about choosing the right path for what you need for your specific requirements, which is why we have also curated a network of amazing lawyers to send users to (on a no referral fee basis) if our service isn't a good fit.

Please don't hesitate to PM me if you would like to take this conversation offline :)
tfong010 wrote: I don’t get it. If they aren’t a law firm nor do they provide legal advice. Why would I give them money for a legal document knowing that if there is even the smallest of complications that they would be utterly useless? Either pony up for a lawyer or straight up do it yourself?
Quentin5 wrote: Pretty much this, we all want to get legal documents done at bargain prices but if you can't know if its done properly then you might end up with worse then nothing, a false sense of security.
A solution to this conundrum would be welcome, if its humanly possible.
Om Company
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32139 posts
15421 upvotes
Socially Distanced
OmAaron wrote: The benefits of the service is that for a fraction of the time and cost you can generate documents that are legally valid once executed within minutes.
This is the issue at hand, how do we know these are sufficient? If there is a problem there is no way for me to know once i am dead and my estate trustee is saddled with a legal quagmire that could cost a lot of money to adjudicate that i could have prevented by writing the will correctly in the first place.
OmAaron wrote: There is a large market of people who fall within the gradient of "figure it out on your own" and "visiting a lawyer", and Om Company has been used by thousands of Canadians with a very high degree of satisfaction.
I would not call it a large market, its a total market. Everyone would love to not only skip the lawyer but pay bargain basement prices.
But your claim of thousands of Canadians with a high degree of satisfaction with wills is impossible, the dead have no ability to experience the emotion of satisfaction. And your obviously in a conflict of interest since your selling this product.

I'll cut to the heart of the matter, this is a Mexican Standoff, saving money is what we all want but those of us who need to know if this is a satisfactory replacement for a proper will cannot get that answer without paying a proper lawyer.

If there were a way to correctly settle this that would solve everything.
Oct 16, 2018
55 posts
58 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: This is the issue at hand, how do we know these are sufficient? If there is a problem there is no way for me to know once i am dead and my estate trustee is saddled with a legal quagmire that could cost a lot of money to adjudicate that i could have prevented by writing the will correctly in the first place.
To be clear, there are countless examples of lawyer-drafted wills also having the same issues. As mentioned before this is another option available to consumers, and creating wills via software or online services isn't a new industry. There are plenty of cases where wills generated through software or written by hand have passed through the probate.

Specific to OmCompany.com, the company is part of Canada's top legal innovation centre, The Legal Innovation Zone, run by the former Attorney General of Ontario. The mandate is to leverage technology to increase accessibility, and that is what the company is doing.
Quentin5 wrote: I would not call it a large market, its a total market. Everyone would love to not only skip the lawyer but pay bargain basement prices.
But your claim of thousands of Canadians with a high degree of satisfaction with wills is impossible, the dead have no ability to experience the emotion of satisfaction. And your obviously in a conflict of interest since your selling this product.
I did emphasize that I worked for the company :)
Quentin5 wrote: I'll cut to the heart of the matter, this is a Mexican Standoff, saving money is what we all want but those of us who need to know if this is a satisfactory replacement for a proper will cannot get that answer without paying a proper lawyer.

If there were a way to correctly settle this that would solve everything.
I can only comment on the experience people have with our service, which includes people who have purchased the service and later require customizations or advice we can't provide. We're the first ones to avoid saying one option is better than the other, as it all truly depends on factors such as a person's personal situation and aptitude.

I am, however, very happy with the data points we have from people that were sent out to our network of lawyers, for various reasons where our service may not be a fit, that are then subsequently sent back by those same lawyers to finish their documents with our service. I'll further clarify that yes those lawyers definitely have a relationship with our business but we do not dictate how they provide their service and consultation.

@Quentin5 I do want to emphasize that I appreciate your point of view, and your posts here likely help people decide for or against using a service like OmCompany.com. I hope everyone that comes across the concerns you raise, take it seriously in their consideration of options for creating their will.
Om Company
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32139 posts
15421 upvotes
Socially Distanced
OmAaron wrote: To be clear, there are countless examples of lawyer-drafted wills also having the same issues. As mentioned before this is another option available to consumers, and creating wills via software or online services isn't a new industry. There are plenty of cases where wills generated through software or written by hand have passed through the probate.
I'm not going to play the both sides game here.
I also imagine that many lawyers have a relatively stock boilerplate will they work with, since a will is not exactly a book sold on amazon where each is written from scratch or has plagiarism worries or is trying to sell ideas or fiction or learning or anything like that.
My concern is what guarantees does one have with your product and can we be sure its going to meet our needs.
Specific to OmCompany.com, the company is part of Canada's top legal innovation centre, The Legal Innovation Zone, run by the former Attorney General of Ontario. The mandate is to leverage technology to increase accessibility, and that is what the company is doing.
I'm sorry but this is equivalent to a celebrity endorsement. If the government itself endorsed your product then it could carry legal weight (well with the Ford government it would have the opposite effect). Though its unlikely they would, conflict of interest and all. It may make sense for the judiciary to endorse your product, though i can imagine why they would not for several reasons. So i'm not sure what to suggest because if this is good enough its a bargain.
Oddly enough this reminds me of tax returns, they could be simplified and prefilled by governments but that would put tax preparers out of business, in the US much money has been spent specifically lobbying against this specific thing happening.

I can only comment on the experience people have with our service, which includes people who have purchased the service and later require customizations or advice we can't provide. We're the first ones to avoid saying one option is better than the other, as it all truly depends on factors such as a person's personal situation and aptitude.

I am, however, very happy with the data points we have from people that were sent out to our network of lawyers, for various reasons where our service may not be a fit, that are then subsequently sent back by those same lawyers to finish their documents with our service. I'll further clarify that yes those lawyers definitely have a relationship with our business but we do not dictate how they provide their service and consultation.

@Quentin5 I do want to emphasize that I appreciate your point of view, and your posts here likely help people decide for or against using a service like OmCompany.com. I hope everyone that comes across the concerns you raise, take it seriously in their consideration of options for creating their will.
I know many start with a viewpoint so data can't convince them because they started from a conclusion and their goal is to make it true, and it probably sounds like thats my goal here but it is not. If there were a way to have some real guarantees that would be awesome.
Are you saying the wills you sell are checked by your lawyers after they are filled out by customers or that they were consulted in designing them?
Oct 16, 2018
55 posts
58 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: I'm not going to play the both sides game here.
I also imagine that many lawyers have a relatively stock boilerplate will they work with, since a will is not exactly a book sold on amazon where each is written from scratch or has plagiarism worries or is trying to sell ideas or fiction or learning or anything like that.
My concern is what guarantees does one have with your product and can we be sure its going to meet our needs.
I think you've missed the point completely.
Quentin5 wrote: I'm sorry but this is equivalent to a celebrity endorsement.
Not fair for you to pass judgement on the organization without being in the industry and understanding it's mandate and history. Countless companies and not-for-profit programs have come out of the Legal Innovation Zone and made legal services more accessible to those who need it. Too many people are self-selecting out because of perceived complexity or cost of working with a lawyer directly.
Quentin5 wrote: If the government itself endorsed your product then it could carry legal weight (well with the Ford government it would have the opposite effect). Though its unlikely they would, conflict of interest and all. It may make sense for the judiciary to endorse your product, though i can imagine why they would not for several reasons.
The government won't endorse any service, just like they don't endorse any specific lawyer. There are authorized bodies that oversee licensing of professionals such as lawyers and that also provide guidelines of what can and cannot happen, legal advice is one of those that services like ours can't provide. Our service complies with their guidelines, we've also had a health dialogue with them with regards to this specifically, and it was tested on a few different points of those guidelines. People are allowed to create their will in a few different ways. People that use are service are generally savvy with technology and their finances.
Quentin5 wrote: I know many start with a viewpoint so data can't convince them because they started from a conclusion and their goal is to make it true, and it probably sounds like thats my goal here but it is not.
Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Quentin5 wrote: Are you saying the wills you sell are checked by your lawyers after they are filled out by customers or that they were consulted in designing them?
They can be for an additional fee for peace of mind, but it isn't required. The service was designed with a lawyer.

Although the two-way dialogue between us on this thread helps to bump this thread to the top, I'll now defer to PM or phone call to continue the conversation.
Om Company
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2008
4046 posts
1304 upvotes
Toronto
I've used Om company and would highly recommend it. It's very easy to use and I recieved great support from them. Yea if your needs are really complex then I can see you circling back with a lawyer but for most needs I think the service is really good.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32139 posts
15421 upvotes
Socially Distanced
OmAaron wrote: I think you've missed the point completely.
I don't think i have.
I was actually somewhat agreeing with you, it is likely not impossible to have a will template that has legal force. But i am not sure if yours does nor not.
We will perhaps have to agree to disagree
Not fair for you to pass judgement on the organization without being in the industry and understanding it's mandate and history. Countless companies and not-for-profit programs have come out of the Legal Innovation Zone and made legal services more accessible to those who need it.
This is the problem, since i don't know your industry or its standards as well as you do i don't know if your playing me or your using the gold standard. Just like you would be in the same situation if you were having to assess something in my industry without any background.
This feeds into my point, an outsider cannot ascertain what weight this actually gives you.
An aside, I keep thinking of Tie Domi endorsing Comwave, while I never had their service I know from others how crummy their service is, his endorsement means nothing when they won't send techs to fix problems or claim they did while lying about it and so forth.
Too many people are self-selecting out because of perceived complexity or cost of working with a lawyer directly.
I am confused here, people are selecting not to use your service because of the lawyers? But i thought there is none.
The government won't endorse any service, just like they don't endorse any specific lawyer. There are authorized bodies that oversee licensing of professionals such as lawyers and that also provide guidelines of what can and cannot happen, legal advice is one of those that services like ours can't provide. Our service complies with their guidelines, we've also had a health dialogue with them with regards to this specifically, and it was tested on a few different points of those guidelines. People are allowed to create their will in a few different ways.
Of course they would not endorse your service, which is what i was getting at.
Conversely we dont have any metrics or objective measures we can use to evaluate your product.
People that use are service are generally savvy with technology and their finances.
This sounds so wishy washy.
What does technology have to do with this product? Its a legal document(s).
Smiling Face With Open Mouth
I am asking tough questions. This is a very serious issue, if your product is not up to snuff customers are up the creek without a paddle.
And unlike most services its not easy to determine until its too late if it is up to snuff.
They can be for an additional fee for peace of mind, but it isn't required. The service was designed with a lawyer.
This works in your favour, though i would be concerned about conflict of interest i would consider it a step in the right direction.
Although the two-way dialogue between us on this thread helps to bump this thread to the top, I'll now defer to PM or phone call to continue the conversation.
I'l answer your PMs tomorrow
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4679 posts
3970 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
Hire a wills and estate lawyer.
We are currently dealing with my mother's estate, and trust me, there's are enough crap your Executor has to deal with, without adding some janky document to the mix.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2009
1521 posts
3573 upvotes
Is this company really trying to cash in on panic? How is this not seen as profiteering from a national crisis?
Oct 16, 2002
834 posts
674 upvotes
Is discounting a product profiteering? I'd imagine the opposite would be true.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3198 posts
1023 upvotes
Vancouver
MikoWilson wrote: Is this company really trying to cash in on panic? How is this not seen as profiteering from a national crisis?
This company is not the only product for wills.

It's time like this some people will start looking for a will to be done if they don't have one. When they google, there will be quite a few choices. As a company, you would want yours to stand out more than others. I don't see anything wrong with this business practice.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2004
1094 posts
968 upvotes
Toronto
I used intuit willexpert WAY back when it was still available. I think it generates a perfectly viable will for simple cases, no children, limited assets. I'm sure OM will is an updated/better version.

I'm afraid that I'm at a different stage of life now; but I think that if you just need to get SOMETHING on paper and there are limited complications (no divorces, business/partners, children with special needs/trusts); this will probably work ok for most people.

In the end, it's to avoid legal battles, make your wishes known and save 1.5% probate.

This will probably work if you leave no contentious battles behind. If you have 3 ex-wives and 6 children + business assets; this is probably not a good solution for you.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2009
1521 posts
3573 upvotes
methyl wrote: Is discounting a product profiteering? I'd imagine the opposite would be true.
It is when the product you offer doesn't have a finite resource attached to it, and you advertise it heavily during a moment of panic.
They could bring the cost of this down to 25% of it's cost and probably make a massive profit. It's just an automated form for pete's sake.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)