Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Omnia Direct

1-Year GIC @ 3.00%

• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2019 3:33 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2003
4686 posts
3840 upvotes
Edmonton

1-Year GIC @ 3.00%

Deal Link:
Retailer:
Omnia Direct
1-Year GIC @ 3.00%

That's the highest 1-year GIC in Canada that I'm aware of at the moment.

Omnia Direct is a division of WFCU (Windsor Family Credit Union), the sixth largest credit union in Ontario.

Deposits are automatically insured by DICO (Deposit Insurance Corporation of Ontario), up to $250,000. But you're free to deposit more at your own risk.

Sign-up page says you have to be a resident of Ontario, but I called them and they said residents from other provinces are also eligible to apply.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2012
4335 posts
3421 upvotes
British Columbia
ChinpokoMon wrote: 1-Year GIC @ 3.00%

That's the highest 1-year GIC in Canada that I'm aware of at the moment.

Omnia Direct is a division of WFCU (Windsor Family Credit Union), the sixth largest credit union in Ontario.

Deposits are automatically insured by DICO (Deposit Insurance Corporation of Ontario), up to $250,000. But you're free to deposit more at your own risk.

Sign-up page says you have to be a resident of Ontario, but I called them and they said residents from other provinces are also eligible to apply.
That's good to know. I wondered about that. I wonder if their bond of association is still Ontario residents only or if they just haven't updated the sign-up form.

Cheers,
Doug
Banking & Savings: Tangerine & EQ Bank
Credit Cards: American Express SimplyCash, Rogers World Elite MasterCard, Scotiabank Scene+ Visa (was Tangerine Money-Back World MasterCard)
Investments: Scotia iTRADE | Pension: Municipal Pension Plan
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2003
4686 posts
3840 upvotes
Edmonton
dmehus wrote: That's good to know. I wondered about that. I wonder if their bond of association is still Ontario residents only or if they just haven't updated the sign-up form
Unfortunately this offer has expired, as their current 1-year GIC rate is only 2.65%, which is not that high. For comparison, you can get 2.80% from Oaken, and People's Trust offers a 15-month GIC @ 3.10%.

You don't have to be an Ontario resident to get Omnia's GIC. I bought some last year and I'm from Alberta.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2012
4335 posts
3421 upvotes
British Columbia
ChinpokoMon wrote: Unfortunately this offer has expired, as their current 1-year GIC rate is only 2.65%, which is not that high. For comparison, you can get 2.80% from Oaken, and People's Trust offers a 15-month GIC @ 3.10%.

You don't have to be an Ontario resident to get Omnia's GIC. I bought some last year and I'm from Alberta.
@ChinpokoMon Yeah, I agree, it's not competitive anymore. Can you confirm if, once you're a member, though, can you purchase additional GICs from within MemberDirect online banking at Omnia Direct?

I ask these questions as it would be helpful to know as I will recommend their inclusion in the HighInterestSavings.ca.

Cheers,
Doug
Credit Cards: American Express SimplyCash, Rogers World Elite MasterCard, Scotiabank Scene+ Visa (was Tangerine Money-Back World MasterCard)
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2003
4686 posts
3840 upvotes
Edmonton
dmehus wrote: Can you confirm if, once you're a member, though, can you purchase additional GICs from within MemberDirect online banking at Omnia Direct?
I do not see any option to purchase additional GICs in my Omnia/MemberDirect online account.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2012
4335 posts
3421 upvotes
British Columbia
ChinpokoMon wrote: I do not see any option to purchase additional GICs in my Omnia/MemberDirect online account.
Thanks, @ChinpokoMon Smiling Face With Open Mouth

There's no option that says, like, "open new account" or something? Can you post a screenshot, with your personally-identifiable information blurred or blacked out? I'd just be curious to see the overall user interface and level of functionality. Feel free to PM me a redacted screenshot if you prefer not to share even a redacted version.

Cheers,
Doug
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2003
4686 posts
3840 upvotes
Edmonton
Their online banking site is fairly barebones. You can view your account details, and set up back-to-bank or Interac e-Transfers. That's about it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)