Shopping Discussion

Once you return a defective item, where does it go?

• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2008 4:02 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 8, 2005
688 posts

Once you return a defective item, where does it go?

When you go and return a defective product to BestBuy or Futureshop, do they send it back to the manufacturer? Who takes the hit?
33 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
1976 posts
269 upvotes
Ontario
I used to work at the source, so I don't know if FS/BB does it the same way, but we either sent it to repair if it was damaged, wrote it off if it was beyond repair or just repackaged and resold if it was fine.
Jul 1, 2003
844 posts
95 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
Jabb wrote: I used to work at the source, so I don't know if FS/BB does it the same way, but we either sent it to repair if it was damaged, wrote it off if it was beyond repair or just repackaged and resold if it was fine.
I've seen repackaged goods being sold as new before and it disgusts me. It's obviously been torn open yet it's on the shelf beside other, brand new, items for the same price. At least offer 10% or 15% off as 'open box' even if it does work fine.
-Some people hear their own voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy or they become Legend.-
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
3533 posts
272 upvotes
Richmond
If it's defective, then most of the time the manufacturer covers it. But as far as I know if it's just a normal return, it's either written off, sold as open box, sent back for refurbishment by the manufacturer, or sometimes sold as completely new.

But yeah, either way the store loses money because it.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 25, 2003
5248 posts
305 upvotes
Toronto
well one time at canadian tire dumpster i saw a guy dumping a whole bunch of goods in a bin.

went after he left and there was a stereo player, dvd player, a drill set.

All of them were in torn packaging and stuff but they all worked perfect.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3402 posts
544 upvotes
Hamilton
when i was at staples, we RTV'd them (return to vendor) and then get credited for it later. It takes FOREVER tho, items will sit in the RTV cage in the back for months at a time. The store (again staples, no sure other places) have to wait until the RTV cage hits a certain dollar amount before it can be sent away.

some manufacturers are pickier then others. Some want EVERYTHING like every cable, manual, disk, ink cart. etc, where others not so much.
Aug 14, 2006
212 posts
15 upvotes
Some companies take it back and give a credit back to future shop. Others do not so they are sent to a future shop repair depot repaired and then sold either on the website or sent back to the store as refurbished.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2005
3428 posts
36 upvotes
Coquitlam
Un4GivN wrote: I've seen repackaged goods being sold as new before and it disgusts me. It's obviously been torn open yet it's on the shelf beside other, brand new, items for the same price. At least offer 10% or 15% off as 'open box' even if it does work fine.
It is not necessary for a store to offer a 10% or 15% off an open box product.

People would still buy it even when everything is still in place, exceptions are, if it is missing a manual or CD, cables, etc.

You, as the customer, have the choice of buying a brand new item or open box item at the same price.

I work at for a retail electronics store and I can say that most products does NOT even have a 10-15% profit margin.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2006
6219 posts
208 upvotes
HughG wrote: well one time at canadian tire dumpster i saw a guy dumping a whole bunch of goods in a bin.

went after he left and there was a stereo player, dvd player, a drill set.

All of them were in torn packaging and stuff but they all worked perfect.
YUP

CT sends just about everything into the garbage. If you buy a nailer + air compressor combo and the nailer is defective - both go in the garbage.

Such a waste.
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2007
6901 posts
261 upvotes
Badger wrote: It is not necessary for a store to offer a 10% or 15% off an open box product.

People would still buy it even when everything is still in place, exceptions are, if it is missing a manual or CD, cables, etc.

You, as the customer, have the choice of buying a brand new item or open box item at the same price.

I work at for a retail electronics store and I can say that most products does NOT even have a 10-15% profit margin.
are u kidding me? do FS employees do not get commission on electronics?

Also how come games are sold for 60$ when they come out, and 20$ less a few months later?
NINTENDO - NES SNES N64
SEGA PLAYSTATION ATARI EVERYTHING ELSE IE VECTREX Have old Games? Broken or working ! Systems games controllers guides manuals game boxes etc!!~~ I GIVE YOU MONEY ~~EMAIL me :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: Cellplanman@gmail.com
Nov 13, 2005
423 posts
6 upvotes
Calgary
There is a company in Niagra Falls that buys most of the defective merchandise from Future Shop/Best Buy that was not returned to the vendor either because it was inelligibile for return, was an extended warranty return or the vendor didn't want it back.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1281 posts
39 upvotes
Langley
perfectgravity wrote: Some companies take it back and give a credit back to future shop. Others do not so they are sent to a future shop repair depot repaired and then sold either on the website or sent back to the store as refurbished.
Just so not one gets confused here items that are returned by a customer and then repaired almost never make up the product we see advertised as refurbished by either a retail outlet or a manufacture. These items are sold as open box or written off. Items sold as "refurbished" are items that are sent to the retail outlet by a manufacture it what usually is a bulk shipment and not as an individual item.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2005
3428 posts
36 upvotes
Coquitlam
Mendesb wrote: are u kidding me? do FS employees do not get commission on electronics?

Also how come games are sold for 60$ when they come out, and 20$ less a few months later?
I do not work at FS.

If you are referring to the games, the price is probably set by the game distributor. Stores will get reimbursed for small amounts of money from the distributor and sometimes the store will sell it as a loss, such as a door crasher deal.