Shopping Discussion

Once you return a defective item, where does it go?

• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2008 4:02 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1281 posts
39 upvotes
Langley
Mendesb wrote: are u kidding me? do FS employees do not get commission on electronics?

Also how come games are sold for 60$ when they come out, and 20$ less a few months later?
Yes Future Shop employees get commission on most electronics they sell but Future Shop would not be in buisness if they did not sell their PSP. Their buisness model loses money without PSP.
Mar 11, 2002
816 posts
225 upvotes
When I worked at the Cdn Tire distribution center in my younger days we actually had people tasked to breaking things that were returned as defective, be it smashing it cutting it or filing off the serial numbers then they got tossed in a dumpster.

With BB/FS from what I have been told, some products will be sent back to the manufacturer to be credited, others will be repaired at the depot and sent back to the store to be sold.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
4903 posts
917 upvotes
at BB/FS all defective items go either RTV or Write Off or Depot Repair Stock or to GENCO. ONLY items that are tested to be brand new and 100% working (although occasionally some slip by) will get open boxed @ 10% off. Im not sure how the credits work with the manufacturer, I just know it gets sent back either of those ways but 90% of the time defective items NEVER come back to the retail store they get sold elsewhere. The 10% goes to HP because they send back Manufacturer Refurbished units (not bb/fs repaired). Many manufacturers like to take back their items, regardless if it works 100% or not, big companies such as Apple, Sony, etc on certain items do not allow for it to go OB. Hope this sheds some light.
"The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD."
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2006
1636 posts
143 upvotes
Mendesb wrote: are u kidding me? do FS employees do not get commission on electronics?

Also how come games are sold for 60$ when they come out, and 20$ less a few months later?
games on average are usually marked up $7 (when new), depends on the price of the game and if it is computer or console.

Game companies charge more when the game is new b/c in general the market is willing to pay the price, when they choose to lower the price they usually credit the retailers at cost for what stock is remaining and the retailers usually lower their price to the new MSRP. So the retailer isn't marking up the price of the game by a lot (hence why almost everywhere has virtually the same prices when shopping for hard goods that come from a single source). So the copy of GTA 3 that you can find for $20 now means that the cost of it is likely $17 bucks now but when it was new it was probably had a cost of $52 and sold for $60, the retailer wasn't buying it at say $18 and making a 42$ profit on each game.

So for the most part games are marked up from 10 to 15%
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1281 posts
39 upvotes
Langley
I think it is disgusting when I see returned headphones on the shelf at a store. Especially earbuds.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8588 posts
1530 upvotes
ruthless29 wrote: When you go and return a defective product to BestBuy or Futureshop, do they send it back to the manufacturer? Who takes the hit?
Sadly sometimes back on the shelf.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Deal Addict
May 7, 2006
2767 posts
27 upvotes
Vancouver
Un4GivN wrote: I've seen repackaged goods being sold as new before and it disgusts me. It's obviously been torn open yet it's on the shelf beside other, brand new, items for the same price. At least offer 10% or 15% off as 'open box' even if it does work fine.
Agreed, I baught a B&D toaster oven from CT and you couldn't tell it was a return item. UNtil I took it home opened it up and noticed it has slight scratches along the top. I then noticed where someone tried wiping it clean and of course their fingerprints on the glass door. TO say the least I was not happy at all. Buying something knew only to find out it has been returned disgusts me as well. It was a big waste of time to go back to CT, wait in the returns line to ask for a new one.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2004
4205 posts
87 upvotes
... ends up on the shelf at Factory Direct or XSCargo ;)
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2006
3081 posts
14 upvotes
Hunter316 wrote: Yes Future Shop employees get commission on most electronics they sell but Future Shop would not be in buisness if they did not sell their PSP. Their buisness model loses money without PSP.
Why did you find this fact? That's pretty interesting if it is true, I would not think they sell enough PSP's to make them profitable...
May 24, 2008
44 posts
1 upvote
HughG wrote: well one time at canadian tire dumpster i saw a guy dumping a whole bunch of goods in a bin.

went after he left and there was a stereo player, dvd player, a drill set.

All of them were in torn packaging and stuff but they all worked perfect.
Dumpster diving is the reason why it's policy at the retail store I work at to destroy returned merchandise before tossing it. People can retrieve items and then try to return them to the store without a receipt. Many stores won't refund without a receipt, but they will issue store credit at the lowest sale price in the last four months. This would be the reason I am unable to donate items returned but still useable to needy people...the possibility of scamming returns...what a crying shame.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 19, 2005
7497 posts
42 upvotes
Pickering
Having worked at Best Buy and Future Shop, it all depends.

1. It goes back to the vendor.
2. A company called GenCo buys them, fixes them and sells them as refurbished to places like Tiger Direct and Canada Computers, sometimes Best Buy and Future Shop.
3. They go back on the shelf. This rarely happens though.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19211 posts
1702 upvotes
Un4GivN wrote: I've seen repackaged goods being sold as new before and it disgusts me. It's obviously been torn open yet it's on the shelf beside other, brand new, items for the same price. At least offer 10% or 15% off as 'open box' even if it does work fine.
I don't get why some people care about this. As long as it has same return policy and warranty, and is pretty much untouched, who gives a crap?

Probably about 50% of returns are from people who open the thing and either not even use it before returning it, or are too dumb to figure out how to work it, so take it back.

Sure, if you open something and it has obvious "used defaults", like scuffs or scratches, I would be pissed off and be demanding a discount when I went back to the store, because of my wasted time. But that doesn't mean all returned products should have a discount.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1281 posts
39 upvotes
Langley
brunes wrote: I don't get why some people care about this. As long as it has same return policy and warranty, and is pretty much untouched, who gives a crap?
Its wrong for a company not to inform a customer that they are buying an item that has been previously purchased. If they inform the customer that it is an Open Box item then it is up to the customer if they want to purchase the item or not.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2004
1664 posts
360 upvotes
Montreal
I used to work in the receiving dpt of a distributor for various type of electronics. The items would come to us with a problem report, we would fill out the paper work and put the items on various pallets which would be wrapped and sent back to the manufacturer. A lot of the items had nothing wrong with them.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1879 posts
391 upvotes
HughG wrote: well one time at canadian tire dumpster i saw a guy dumping a whole bunch of goods in a bin.

went after he left and there was a stereo player, dvd player, a drill set.

All of them were in torn packaging and stuff but they all worked perfect.
We used to be a supplier for Canadian Tire and the way they worked (with us, anyways) is they got a discount on the merchandise they bought to offset any returns. In other words, if they calculated an x% return rate, we would give them a y% discount (based on volume) on their cost of the products, so all returns are taken care of before they even place the product on their shelves. This is why many products returned to them get tossed in the trash (or given to employees) as they've already been compensated for returns/replacements.

Overall, it's a good system for the supplier and the retailer, as nobody has to deal with returns. However, it can be quite wasteful.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)