• Last Updated:
  • Apr 8th, 2021 6:07 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4908 posts
3812 upvotes

One burner doesn't light on NG BBQ

Over the winter one of the burners (the most frequently used one) stopped lighting on my natural gas BBQ - all other 3 light. I'm pretty diligent about regularly cleaning the BBQ it doesn't appear to be clogged. Any ideas how to fix this?

Interestingly (and unrelated), the same thing happened with my NG stove - the most frequently used burner stopped igniting (I can manually light it but it's not burning properly/safely the flames are orange instead of blue and smell).
Images
  • 20210406_091305.jpg
  • 20210406_091407.jpg
6 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
13870 posts
8565 upvotes
Markham
1) Spider web inside the NG airway. You need to use a pipecleaner or something to clear it. There's no other reason other than that if the others light up No gas, no BTU.
2) if you can manually light it, there's a problem with the igniter.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4256 posts
2159 upvotes
The burner bar which carries the lighted gas to the burners to ignite them is most likely dirty/plugged.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4908 posts
3812 upvotes
Thanks - that it was. I just tapped it and some stuff fell out. Tried to light it again, and it worked. Just it gave a thorough cleaning.

Any ideas what might be the problem with my stove burner? It's not clogged. It does manually light it's not burning/combusting properly.
Last edited by hierophant on Apr 8th, 2021 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4256 posts
2159 upvotes
hierophant wrote: Thanks - that it was. I just tapped it and some stuff fell out. Tried to light it again, and it worked. Just it gave a thorough cleaning.

Any ideas what might be the problem with my burner? It's not clogged. It does manually light it's not burning/combusting properly.
The pictured burners seem to be OK so if there are no cracks I would have to say the air adjustments on the end of the burners might not be set properly.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4908 posts
3812 upvotes
pootza wrote: The pictured burners seem to be OK so if there are no cracks I would have to say the air adjustments on the end of the burners might not be set properly.
Sorry I meant to say my stove burner (2nd para of OP) - BBQ is all good now.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4256 posts
2159 upvotes
hierophant wrote: Sorry I meant to say my stove burner (2nd para of OP) - BBQ is all good now.
The burner is probably dirty. If it's a standing pilot the same type of tube bringing the gas to the pilot may be blocked. If spark igniter maybe just not a good spark because of dirty burner. And also check air adjustment at end of burner as well.