Shopping Discussion

Which one? Costco gas price or RCSS gas bar plus PC points?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 3rd, 2019 1:53 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7016 posts
2666 upvotes
Calgary

Which one? Costco gas price or RCSS gas bar plus PC points?

I usually get gas @ RCSS gas station for PC points. When I purchased a Costco membership last month I was told it's cheaper to gas up there. Two days ago, I was on my way to Costco, saw the Superstore gas bar @$0.92/L. I was quite surprised when I saw the exact same price at the Costco gas bar. Do i get extra discount when I am at the pump? If not, wouldn't it be cheaper to gas up at the Superstore gas bar instead?
36 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2003
6528 posts
2848 upvotes
Moncton, NB
In Moncton the Costco Gas is 98.9cent/l and at superstore it's $1.059.

If it was the same price I would definitely get gas at superstore because I always pay with my CC and get 5cent/l so that would be better since I get that extra 5cent in points.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
8056 posts
4453 upvotes
Alberta
At Costco, there is no extra discount at the pump but you do get a cash back or a % depending on which credit card you used. It's cheaper to buy at RCSS with PC points and with the PCFWE MC it works out to be about $0.10 /L
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7016 posts
2666 upvotes
Calgary
Thanks both. In that such I will continue to gas up at the Superstore gas bar.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
8056 posts
4453 upvotes
Alberta
Just don't go to ESSO for PC points, it's a big waste of time. They should have stayed with Aeroplan, still useless but at least I could keep my Aeroplan account active easier.
Dec 18, 2017
925 posts
525 upvotes
London, On
The Costco here in London that has gas isn't convenient for me. It's almost always on the wrong side of a very busy road from where I'm coming from or going, and it's always lined up several cars deep at each pump. I've never seen a price differential big enough there for me to take the time to go there opposed to any of the other options nearby, inluding the Superstore closer to home.
Oct 5, 2006
624 posts
467 upvotes
Winnipeg
If the posted prices are the same, RCSS/Mobil will always be cheaper than Costco if you pay with PC creditcard (or the points card).

But some people have claimed that Costco gas is better because it is listed as one of the licensed brands on Top Tier Gas:
https://www.toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/

But since Mobil has bought the RCSS stations, and Mobil is also on the list, I don't know if RCSS has equal/better quality now.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2605 posts
1294 upvotes
B.C.
Crying Face

Costco here is the cheapest in town without question.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16594 posts
6766 upvotes
I find most people just parrot "Costco gas is the cheapest" without actually looking around to justify waiting in long lineups to get their gas.

We have a Mobil (RCSS) and Costco across the street from each other where I fill up. Not only do you save waiting 5-10 minutes in line going to Mobil, but with the 7 cents per litre off they are still 2-3 cents a litre cheaper than Costco. You're not imagining things, there are many instances where Costco is not the cheapest in it's area based on the competition.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
3354 posts
595 upvotes
Ever since the Costco in Oshawa went to three pumps per line, lines up are now only due to unaware drivers.

I usually notice a 5-10cent differential compared to the local gas stations. I would never stay in a long line to pump at Costco.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5680 posts
5074 upvotes
althetrainer wrote: I usually get gas @ RCSS gas station for PC points. When I purchased a Costco membership last month I was told it's cheaper to gas up there. Two days ago, I was on my way to Costco, saw the Superstore gas bar @$0.92/L. I was quite surprised when I saw the exact same price at the Costco gas bar. Do i get extra discount when I am at the pump? If not, wouldn't it be cheaper to gas up at the Superstore gas bar instead?
If it's the same price then yes, gas bar is better. The RCSS in my city doesn't have a gas bar, so Costco ends up being the cheapest by a long run.

Costco's not that close to my place so I end up gassing up at Esso most of the time :(
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5680 posts
5074 upvotes
TrevorK wrote: I find most people just parrot "Costco gas is the cheapest" without actually looking around to justify waiting in long lineups to get their gas.

We have a Mobil (RCSS) and Costco across the street from each other where I fill up. Not only do you save waiting 5-10 minutes in line going to Mobil, but with the 7 cents per litre off they are still 2-3 cents a litre cheaper than Costco. You're not imagining things, there are many instances where Costco is not the cheapest in it's area based on the competition.
No lines at my Costco, and it's the cheapest in the city, but it's too far to be my regular gas station. My RCSS has no gas bar and they said there are no plans to add one.

Only other options here are Ultramar, Petro or Esso
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2014
2460 posts
1240 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Lineups are insane at the Costco near me. You can easily be waiting 30+ minutes. It's not worth my time when certain stations are within $0.05/L.. and even better, within $0.025/L at Esso when using a rewards card I have.
On a fill up, I'd save between $1-2 by going to Costco. Not worth it in the least.
This space for rent.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16594 posts
6766 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote: No lines at my Costco, and it's the cheapest in the city, but it's too far to be my regular gas station. My RCSS has no gas bar and they said there are no plans to add one.

Only other options here are Ultramar, Petro or Esso
What city are you in? We can easily check with gasbuddy to see what stations close by to you offer a similar price. *

I also do not buy your Costco has "no line". Perhaps you have that one magical unicorn of a Costco where no one shops at it and you get to dance and twirl around the store while the staff giving out samples serenade you.
Last edited by MrDisco on Dec 25th, 2018 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: unnecessary
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5680 posts
5074 upvotes
Why so rude? What are you talking about hunting down deals?

The Costco near me just opened last year. No lines at the gas station, and basically no wait at the service center for tire change/oil change. I expect this will get busier and busier as the surrounding neighborhoods are filling up with new home developments.

And yes, the Costco is half empty most of the time. It's great. No need to be jealous.

Here's the GasBuddy if you want to try to prove me wrong: https://www.gasbuddy.com/home?search=K2j&fuel=1

Edit: Oh I see, you're just salty that I bashed Canadian Tire and their scamming ways.