Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
20923 posts
1201 upvotes
Shanghai, China

Is one HDMI 2.1 port a big deal?

Seems like some of the latest TVs only have one HDMI 2.1 port. I've seen people on RFD criticizing the decision by some hardware manufacturers to only include one. Is it really that big of a deal since it's likely to be only one device using it at a time? I can't think of a situation where it may be necessary to have two or more HDMI 2.1 ports. Are there any HDMI 2.1 switches? Can you guys think of a situation where such criticisms are warranted? The only devices that I can think of that will take advantage of HDMI 2.1 is the Xbox Series X, which I have, and the PS5.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2004
4531 posts
377 upvotes
Futureproof would be one of the big reasons as people tend to keep their TVs for a while. You can hook up your gaming console and enjoy 4K @ 120hz, PCs can also take advantage of higher res and frame rate. Depending on your PC, you could also do 8K and 10K. HDR war is still being fought between HDR10+ and Dolby Vision, like HD DVD and Blu-ray. Having ports with the ability to receive higher bandwidth can again futureproof for HDR standards as well.

So now think of homes where people have more than one console, their PC connected to the TV, Apple TV or Android NVidia Shield, Blu-ray player etc... Now all those devices can utilize the 4K high FPS, and/or HDR+/Dolby Vision and you have most of them but only one port. I'm sure these devices will be coming out with HDMI 2.1 compatibility soon enough if not already out. I know the Shield is supposed to get a redesign this year.

I don't know if any HDMI 2.1 switches exist but that's one more thing in the way and a cheap switch can degrade the quality. I think Mfrs only give one HDMI 2.1 port because the licensing fees for 2.1 are probably too high.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
20923 posts
1201 upvotes
Shanghai, China
evilYoda wrote: but you can unplug one as needed
That's pretty annoying. It's probably not that big of a deal right now. I think only the PS5 and XBSX are the only devices capable of using HDMI 2.1? I wonder if there are any plans for HDMI 2.1 switches?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2890 posts
1557 upvotes
London
Sgt_Strider wrote: That's pretty annoying. It's probably not that big of a deal right now. I think only the PS5 and XBSX are the only devices capable of using HDMI 2.1? I wonder if there are any plans for HDMI 2.1 switches?
the latest PC gpus also have HDMI 2.1. but other then gaming devices HDMI 2.1 is rather useless atm movies and tv shows don't get made in 4k 120hz or 8k 60hz so the need for hdmi 2.1 outside of gaming will be very small for a very long time.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
20923 posts
1201 upvotes
Shanghai, China
aaron158 wrote: the latest PC gpus also have HDMI 2.1. but other then gaming devices HDMI 2.1 is rather useless atm movies and tv shows don't get made in 4k 120hz or 8k 60hz so the need for hdmi 2.1 outside of gaming will be very small for a very long time.
Still doesn't mean we won't need HDMI 2.1 switches right?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2890 posts
1557 upvotes
London
Sgt_Strider wrote: Still doesn't mean we won't need HDMI 2.1 switches right?
some of the new receivers have more then 1 and can be used to switch between inputs. considering devices that use hdmi 2.1 didn't even come out till last year and what went on on the world the past year i doubt its any priority for companies to make them.