Automotive

Which one to lease: Acura RDX A-Spec or Mazda CX5 Signature?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 7th, 2020 10:44 am
[OP]
Jun 10, 2010
72 posts
111 upvotes
Mississauga

Which one to lease: Acura RDX A-Spec or Mazda CX5 Signature?

My current Acura lease will be up in a few months. I am thinking between Acura RDX A-Spec or Mazda CX5 Signature. CX5 is much cheaper with 2 year maintenance free. While Acura is more upscale, but also more expensive. Any comments from experienced friends?
24 replies
Apr 26, 2019
280 posts
395 upvotes
GTA
In the first two years, all you have to do are oil changes and tire rotations. Maybe $350 difference there if CX-5 has free maintenance for two years.
Nov 24, 2012
177 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
HughZ wrote: My current Acura lease will be up in a few months. I am thinking between Acura RDX A-Spec or Mazda CX5 Signature. CX5 is much cheaper with 2 year maintenance free. While Acura is more upscale, but also more expensive. Any comments from experienced friends?
Which dealer offered 2 year of maintenance free with CX-5?
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15502 posts
10121 upvotes
Toronto
Do you need the money? Mazda. Do you enjoy your current acura and money isn't an issue? Acura.

EDIT: Could also say: are you bored and want a new different vehicle? Mazda. Could also say: are you sure you want to be seen in a Mazda when you drove an acura? Acura.

Easy.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
1134 posts
1143 upvotes
Toronto
mazda has been trying to move upmarket while acura is only starting to release new products after a decade of negligence so brand cachet side you will be ok OP ... The CX5 in current guise is getting quite long in the tooth, most evident in that infotainment system . If you can't wait for the new one then the RDX would be the better choice $ aside.

just quickly looked acura.ca .. seems like they are doing 1bps lease and some factory cash, so looks like with some negotiation you can get some solid all in discount. But not sure how residuals look, @RFDBRIAN is the expert here
Last edited by Goose12345 on Jul 6th, 2020 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 22, 2017
384 posts
245 upvotes
GTA
If mazda's infotainment is as bad as I've heard, then go for the RDX.

It's something you interact with everyday.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
1134 posts
1143 upvotes
Toronto
papermate2 wrote: If mazda's infotainment is as bad as I've heard, then go for the RDX.

It's something you interact with everyday.
Current one isn't that bad compared to this space ship I was working with ;)

Oct 4, 2010
815 posts
442 upvotes
Surrey
keep in mind you get loyalty lease discounted lease rates when continuing with Acura.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
18746 posts
18278 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Mazda interiors are getting real nice. Can’t say the same for Acura LOL. Especially the gear selector console thingie.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
32826 posts
14547 upvotes
I typically don't like Hondas but my vote goes to the RDX--a vehicle I always had a soft spot for... Well I mean the first-gen, and now the current gen is nice too. The second-gen, uhh no thanks. 2nd gen RDX was basically them "Samsunging" it (i.e. downgrade) :lol:

The current one seems to have returned to form.
May 13, 2012
719 posts
329 upvotes
Toronto
how much is the difference?
i think that will lead to a better input from users
[OP]
Jun 10, 2010
72 posts
111 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks all for the replies. You are all knowledgeable bunch! The current 2016 ACURA I am driving is really bad on technology, no support for apple carplay and android auto. Other teach aspect is also buggy. However, 2020 RDX has improved technology (so I heard). In terms of luxury, CX-5 Signature has all the bells and whistles, it actually beats RDX . However, I have never driven Mazda, and am not sure about its dynamics and driving feel.

RDX looks better compared with CX 5 in my opinion.

To anwser @infotech58 question, it looks only the Signature has 2-year free maintenance, offered by Mazda.

Not including loyalty bonus, I worked purely on the web pricing. The price difference is almost 10K.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1509 posts
1074 upvotes
I never considered or looked at Mazda, until I purchased a 2020 Signature this year. I am extremely impressed. It's a big seller, but IMO it would sell even better if people who automatically think Toyota or Honda actually checked out the CX-5.

Mazda prides itself on being a drivers car. You won't find too many professional reviews that directly compare the RDX to the CX-5 because the price difference is substantial. There are some reviews that compare the CX-5 to even more expensive luxury brands (to point out that Mazda's top trim actually compares reasonably well with the luxury makes). IMO, "Acura" doesn't thave the cachet of a true luxury brand. And Honda/Acura reliability has dropped to below average, while Mazda gets top marks for reliability from Consumers Reports, and a top marks from Toyota (as Toyota has a JV factory with Mazda now).

I think both vehicles look very nice. In my eyes, in most colors I prefer the looks of the CX-5 (which has more a of subtle design -- they promote "Kodo" design). In certain colors and trims, I like the RDX look more.

OVerall, I don't think the RDX is worth the premium price compared to the CX-5.
Nov 24, 2012
177 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
HughZ wrote: To anwser @infotech58 question, it looks only the Signature has 2-year free maintenance, offered by Mazda.
Your initial comment got me curious because I (with two others) have been talking to various Mazda dealers in GTA for a 3 car deal and not even a single dealer has brought up 2 year included maintenance. Upon some more research, it looks like that 2 year scheduled maintenance is included ONLY for diesel signature and ONLY in USA (diesel CX-5 is not available in Canada for 2020).

Over last two months, I test drove 2020 Acura RDX, GLC300, X3, and CX-5 signature and following were my observations:
- RDX drove great but I did not like the infotainment (it crashed during my test drive) and busy interior design.
- loved the GLC300 but could not find one in stock with ONLY the options I prefer (premium package + burmester sound) and I did not want to pay for the options I did not want. Merc also did some cost cutting recently (no acoustic glass anymore).
- was disappointed with X3 as it felt like they tried to make it similar (in terms of driving feel) to GLC300 (softer suspension). Very attractive discounts were being offered by BMW though (at least in May when I test drove).
- CX-5 drove well and is loaded (nappa leather, acoustic windshield and side glass, etc.) but has a very dated infotainment system and a horrible camera (even 360 degree camera). However, it seemed a better value proposition over the GLC300 (with the extra options I did not want).

To give you a price reference, our best quote thus far is ~$3,200 off MSRP plus factory incentives for 2020 CX-5 signature.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
6927 posts
6052 upvotes
multimut wrote: I never considered or looked at Mazda, until I purchased a 2020 Signature this year. I am extremely impressed. It's a big seller, but IMO it would sell even better if people who automatically think Toyota or Honda actually checked out the CX-5.

Mazda prides itself on being a drivers car. You won't find too many professional reviews that directly compare the RDX to the CX-5 because the price difference is substantial. There are some reviews that compare the CX-5 to even more expensive luxury brands (to point out that Mazda's top trim actually compares reasonably well with the luxury makes). IMO, "Acura" doesn't thave the cachet of a true luxury brand. And Honda/Acura reliability has dropped to below average, while Mazda gets top marks for reliability from Consumers Reports, and a top marks from Toyota (as Toyota has a JV factory with Mazda now).

I think both vehicles look very nice. In my eyes, in most colors I prefer the looks of the CX-5 (which has more a of subtle design -- they promote "Kodo" design). In certain colors and trims, I like the RDX look more.

The RDX drives way better than the cx-5. Much better engine, transmission and the AWD system is far Superior as well as infotainment

I test drove them both. The turbo engine in the cx-5 is very underwhelming and the 6AT shifts slow and it doesn't come close to the handling in a rdx

Whether better AWD, engine, chassis , infotainment and longer warranty and better resale is worth the 10k difference ..I will say definitely yes but if you can't spend a dime more, then the cx-5 is not bad

The cx-5 probably compares better with the last gen RDX when it was pretty bland with the V6 and cheaper AWD system similar to the one Mazda uses in their cars
Last edited by StatsGuy on Jul 7th, 2020 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Jun 10, 2010
72 posts
111 upvotes
Mississauga
multimut wrote: I never considered or looked at Mazda, until I purchased a 2020 Signature this year. I am extremely impressed. It's a big seller, but IMO it would sell even better if people who automatically think Toyota or Honda actually checked out the CX-5.

You are the gentleman! Can you negotiate with Mazda? I heard that you can not with Subaru. What is the room of negotiation, 5% or 6%? Acura will offer me incentives as a returning customer.
[OP]
Jun 10, 2010
72 posts
111 upvotes
Mississauga
infotech58 wrote: Your initial comment got me curious because I (with two others) have been talking to various Mazda dealers in GTA for a 3 car deal and not even a single dealer has brought up 2 year included maintenance. Upon some more research, it looks like that 2 year scheduled maintenance is included ONLY for diesel signature and ONLY in USA (diesel CX-5 is not available in Canada for 2020).

Over last two months, I test drove 2020 Acura RDX, GLC300, X3, and CX-5 signature and following were my observations:
- RDX drove great but I did not like the infotainment (it crashed during my test drive) and busy interior design.
- loved the GLC300 but could not find one in stock with ONLY the options I prefer (premium package + burmester sound) and I did not want to pay for the options I did not want. Merc also did some cost cutting recently (no acoustic glass anymore).
- was disappointed with X3 as it felt like they tried to make it similar (in terms of driving feel) to GLC300 (softer suspension). Very attractive discounts were being offered by BMW though (at least in May when I test drove).
- CX-5 drove well and is loaded (nappa leather, acoustic windshield and side glass, etc.) but has a very dated infotainment system and a horrible camera (even 360 degree camera). However, it seemed a better value proposition over the GLC300 (with the extra options I did not want).

To give you a price reference, our best quote thus far is ~$3,200 off MSRP plus factory incentives for 2020 CX-5 signature.
Thanks for sharing your info. Please check the 2nd last para where it mentions the complimentary service.
https://www.mazda.ca/en/inside-mazda/20 ... r-options/
Curious, have you decided yet? I may follow your foot step to save the hassle to test drive and negotiation Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
6927 posts
6052 upvotes
HughZ wrote: You are the gentleman! Can you negotiate with Mazda? I heard that you can not with Subaru. What is the room of negotiation, 5% or 6%? Acura will offer me incentives as a returning customer.
Mazda will negotiate, but Acura has more % to play with . You should get $2k off easy for the cx-5 turbo

But the cx-5 is pretty tight compared to rdx , you should test drive it if not already as the rdx drives much better especially the sh-awd system vs the Mazda
May 6, 2013
873 posts
407 upvotes
Toronto
Does no one even use the back seat in these things? I wasnt even able to sit behind myself in the CX-5 it is so small in the back making it utterly useless as a CUV. Immediate pass.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1509 posts
1074 upvotes
HughZ wrote: Thanks for sharing your info. Please check the 2nd last para where it mentions the complimentary service.
https://www.mazda.ca/en/inside-mazda/20 ... r-options/
The link is about the CX-5 with Skyactiv-D (Diesel) engine. Mazda tried to introduce Diesel engine last year in North America. I guess the "free maintenance for 2 years" is a little extra incentive for Diesel. But the it's not selling, and I haven't checked but believe Mazda will drop the Diesel option. I don't think free maintenance applies to Signature trim with non-Diesel engines. But maintenance costs are not very high.