• Last Updated:
  • Apr 6th, 2020 3:50 pm
[OP]
Jul 2, 2013
668 posts
180 upvotes
Aurora

One PC - Two monitors

I have my PC set up in my basement. My PC has an MSI Nvidia geforce GTX 760 graphics card with 1 HDMI input. My PC onboard motherboard has 2 HDMI inputs.
I have my office set up on the 3rd floor of the house and I ran an active HDMI cable from the office down to the PC. I plan to do general office work and maybe some leisure gaming in the office.
I then have a second active HDMI cable going to my TV in my living room. I plan to watch any downloaded content on this screen only.
I also have active USB 3.0 extension cables from the PC in the basement that go into to both of these rooms to utilize peripherals.
What is the preferred way to utilize the HDMI inputs in this case? Should I have one HDMI plugged into the graphics card HDMI (office) and one to the motherboard HDMI (living room TV)?
Or should both be plugged into the motherboard HDMI inputs because there are two HDMI inputs?
The last thing I want to be doing is switching graphics inputs, I just want to mirror the screens essentially but have the best gaming experience in the office.
I hope this all makes sense and thanks for any input.
2 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3584 posts
935 upvotes
Doesn't matter as long as the screen you use for gaming is plugged into the GPU input.

Secondly why not use Nvidia GameStream or steam link rather than running HDMI cables?
[OP]
Jul 2, 2013
668 posts
180 upvotes
Aurora
JonSnow wrote: Doesn't matter as long as the screen you use for gaming is plugged into the GPU input.

Secondly why not use Nvidia GameStream or steam link rather than running HDMI cables?
I have a monitor in the room and thats it. How do I use steam link? I would need some sort of nvidia device.