Personal Finance

One-third of unemployed Canadians, about 862,000, won't get help from EI or the CERB

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 12th, 2020 4:28 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2009
2069 posts
867 upvotes
Toronto

One-third of unemployed Canadians, about 862,000, won't get help from EI or the CERB

Although the federal government decided to spend a quarter of a trilion dollars and the provincial governments about half of that, a lot of Canadians are left completely without any help or support during the pandemic. Many of us will be disappointed next week.

Feds went with simple rules for benefits to speed up COVID-19 aid, Morneau says

An analysis published Thursday by the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives estimated one-third of unemployed Canadians, about 862,000, won't get help from EI or the CERB. A further 390,000 will get some help, but below the $500 per week under the CERB.

"Critical changes can and should still be made to the CERB which would allow all unemployed people to receive the benefit, no matter when they lost their jobs or how much they made in the past year," wrote David Macdonald, the centre's senior economist and author of the new analysis.
161 replies
Jun 7, 2013
201 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto
It's quite sad that nothing is being done. I happen to fall under the situation currently. They want everyone to be apart of team "Canada" by following their recommendations. It's time for the government to step up for the "team" to get though this together.
Banned
Apr 1, 2020
12 posts
39 upvotes
But Public sector workers who are sitting home and doing nothing are getting 100% of their salary! All this paid by us taxpayers.

Lot of CRA and Service Canada employees have been asked to sit home as physical centres are closed to public due to covid. Some are doing nothing at home, not working from home, just nothing, yet being paid 100 % of their salary and benefits.

While private sector workers suffer and pay their salary! For sitting home.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
7974 posts
3262 upvotes
Financial District B…
CovidCRA wrote: But Public sector workers who are sitting home and doing nothing are getting 100% of their salary! All this paid by us taxpayers.

Lot of CRA and Service Canada employees have been asked to sit home as physical centres are closed to public due to covid. Some are doing nothing at home, not working from home, just nothing, yet being paid 100 % of their salary and benefits.

So you made a new RFD account in wake of this pandemic just to gripe about it?

What is your other ID name?

*hmm, have a slight feeling this is that same guy that was bitching about how everyone is going to receive some sort of benefit while he gets nothing/zilch. #entitled
Last edited by mikeymike1 on Apr 3rd, 2020 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Apr 1, 2020
1 posts
Wonder if someone could help me with my current situation. I got let go from my job of 2 years a couple weeks ago because of the covid crisis.
I applied for ei and am suppose to do my first report tomorrow. Earlier this week I was able to get a garbage truck job through a temp agency. I worked a day and realized there is no way I could to do it day in and day out so I didnt go back.
Question is did I screw myself for ei as I quit my new job even though it was just for a day?
Thanks in advance :)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5525 posts
4507 upvotes
Edmonton
My guess is people are just going to lie on the forms and say they are unemployed and meet the requirements. There is going to be so many applications that they will never be able to check them. Even if they decide to audit them after this, years down the road, that would be a huge waste of resources.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2009
2207 posts
1357 upvotes
CovidCRA wrote: But Public sector workers who are sitting home and doing nothing are getting 100% of their salary! All this paid by us taxpayers.

If all public sector workers are sitting at home doing nothing, who's processing those CERB applications and mailing out those cheques?

If all public sector workers are sitting at home doing nothing, who's treating covid patients in the hospitals?
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
35042 posts
4288 upvotes
Winnipeg

Alberta government laid off over 20,000 public workers.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
1805 posts
1472 upvotes
divx wrote: Alberta government laid off over 20,000 public workers.
More like off-loading to the Fed for CERB ... saving Alberta $$$ one way.
Next on the line-up ... JT and his team and it will be on next fed ballot(election) to throw all out for the good of all canadians.
A QUIET MAN IS A THINKING MAN.
A QUIET WOMAN IS A DANGEROUS WOMAN

My Missus said " I don't tell you how to spend your $$, Don't tell me how to spend your $$."
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
35042 posts
4288 upvotes
Winnipeg
imoo2u wrote: More like off-loading to the Fed for CERB ... saving Alberta $$$ one way.
Next on the line-up ... JT and his team and it will be on next fed ballot(election) to throw all out for the good of all canadians.
Well it is the least the feds can do after giving 17B to quebec and 0 to alberta.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
3721 posts
792 upvotes
centre of universe
imoo2u wrote: More like off-loading to the Fed for CERB ... saving Alberta $$$ one way.
the way I read it that seems to be good move by Alberta government.
divx wrote: Well it is the least the feds can do after giving 17B to quebec and 0 to alberta.
Yep.
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.
New Mantra for idiots Just ask RFD before searching answers anywhere.
Feb 9, 2018
429 posts
313 upvotes
According to CRA website:

The benefit will be available to workers:

Residing in Canada, who are at least 15 years old;
Who have stopped working because of COVID-19 or are eligible for Employment Insurance regular or sickness benefits:
Who had income of at least $5,000 in 2019 or in the 12 months prior to the date of their application; and
Who are or expect to be without employment or self-employment income for at least 14 consecutive days in the initial four-week period. For subsequent benefit periods, they expect to have no employment income.

Can you receive the Canada Emergency Response Benefit if you are not a citizen or permanent resident?

To be eligible for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit, you must reside in Canada and have a valid Social Insurance Number.

Workers who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents – including temporary foreign workers and international students – may be eligible to receive the Benefit if they meet the other eligibility requirements.

Does the minimum income of $5,000 have to be earned in Canada?

No. The income does not have to be earned in Canada, but you need to reside in Canada.

So although 1/3rd of Canadians may not be eligible, JT made sure that international students from other countries are eligible to get upto $8000($2000 per month for 4 months) in benefits even if they earned $5000 in previous 12 months outside Canada. Get ready to pay for all of this in increased taxes in coming years.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2006
2375 posts
804 upvotes
YVR
I don't quite get the mandate to provide for those that made income outside of Canada, but I guess as long as they are declaring residency in Canada and paid Canadian Taxes on that income it should be ok? It looks kind of dumb at first glance I guess.

My stance still stands that temporary UBI would be much easier to implement and for everyone to understand. Simply make it taxable income, and sort it out afterwards. Not when you're in the middle of a crisis, with people not knowing which and where to find information. It also alleviates the decision for people to make "do I go to work and contribute, but possibly make less money, or sit at home and do nothing".
Zoomer
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
7974 posts
3262 upvotes
Financial District B…
sunbat wrote: According to CRA website:

The benefit will be available to workers:

Residing in Canada, who are at least 15 years old;
Who have stopped working because of COVID-19 or are eligible for Employment Insurance regular or sickness benefits:
Who had income of at least $5,000 in 2019 or in the 12 months prior to the date of their application; and
Who are or expect to be without employment or self-employment income for at least 14 consecutive days in the initial four-week period. For subsequent benefit periods, they expect to have no employment income.

It might be important to note for BFS/self-employed people they would have had to have filed last years taxes as a BFS/self-employed individual.
As I am certain almost all the people that drive for those ride-sharing services probably never claim their income.
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1926 posts
299 upvotes
Toronto
sunbat wrote: Residing in Canada, who are at least 15 years old;
These requirements sound fair to me. If you don't report income then yes of course you should not expect government handout. But I am still unsure who those 1/3 of people the article was referring to? What are some legitimate situations that someone would be in but fail any of the 3 questions above?
Jun 7, 2013
201 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto
zero_ wrote: These requirements sound fair to me. If you don't report income then yes of course you should not expect government handout. But I am still unsure who those 1/3 of people the article was referring to? What are some legitimate situations that someone would be in but fail any of the 3 questions above?
I think the main issue is stopping working because of COVID. For example, quit a job, got fired in say January of this year.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2004
5406 posts
1615 upvotes
Toronto
ChipsAway wrote: It's quite sad that nothing is being done.
What's sad is all the people who need to rely on the government after a single missed paycheck - completely ridiculous that people have no emergency fund whatsoever.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1444 posts
320 upvotes
Vancouver
can someone help me understand how to get benefits. i have a brain disability and this is really confusing for me. not sure why they make the instructions so difficult to apply for income support. it's way too complex for people with mental disabilities

not sure if im even eligible. i stopped working may last year. i don't think i made $5000. quit job to pursue education. became disabled in july and my only source of income to this day has been student loans was not eligible for PWD because I had $100,000 assets
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2012
1272 posts
604 upvotes
Regina
SquirreI wrote: can someone help me understand how to get benefits. i have a brain disability and this is really confusing for me. not sure why they make the instructions so difficult to apply for income support. it's way too complex for people with mental disabilities

not sure if im even eligible. i stopped working may last year. i don't think i made $5000. quit job to pursue education. became disabled in july and my only source of income to this day has been student loans was not eligible for PWD because I had $100,000 assets
You needed to make $5000 to be eligible. Though apply anyway to see.
Looking to buy Epson HT2150ST